Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Fucking Tory scum

Grenfell-Kensingtin-Tories.jpg

Kensington Tories just surveyed residents to see if they'd stopped caring about Grenfell yet | Evolve Politics
Don’t they have any grown ups left who could tell them what an obscene idea this is?

people screaming about hundreds of missing dead claimed their were 547 households in grenfill towers even though theres only 120 flats:hmm:.
As if 71 one dead hundreds traumatised wasn't bad enough:mad:

An interesting piece from the BBC about a Grenfell resident and local blogger who raised his concerns about fire safety before the disaster happened.

Why no-one heard the Grenfell blogger's warnings

I think the title of the piece is debatable, though - it blames the decline of local papers and traditional local journalism. I think there's a lot more to it than that, i.e. the residents concerns were not taken seriously regardless of how they were or were not flagged up.

I think the title of the piece is debatable, though - it blames the decline of local papers and traditional local journalism. I think there's a lot more to it than that, i.e. the residents concerns were not taken seriously regardless of how they were or were not flagged up.

If anything the quality of that Grenfell blogger's work is far better than you'd expect in a local paper. And there's nothing in it that the people in charge shouldn't have already known at the time the revelant decisions were being made.

An interesting piece from the BBC about a Grenfell resident and local blogger who raised his concerns about fire safety before the disaster happened.

Why no-one heard the Grenfell blogger's warnings

If anything the quality of that Grenfell blogger's work is far better than you'd expect in a local paper. And there's nothing in it that the people in charge shouldn't have already known at the time the revelant decisions were being made.

I think it is fair comment to put a degree of blame on the decline of local papers, they have seriously gone downhill in the last 10-20 years, before that, when they were rooted in their communities, well resourced & had decent circulations they were very good at holding councils to account, councils feared them, and they were handy for running or supporting important local campaigns.

Over 20 years ago as Chairman of an action group campaigning to save a playing field from becoming a multi-storey car-park, we would never have won our battle without the two local papers getting behind our campaign. One of those papers (a decent freebie getting into 95%+ of homes) has since closed and the circulation of the other paid-for one has nosedived, getting into under 20% of homes rather than 60-65%, it would be fairly ineffective now compared with back in the day.

I've spent most my working life in local radio, newspapers & magazines, and was proud how they were an important part of the communities that they served well, sadly the big groups moved in, and the rot set in, I was lucky to escape that sector some years ago.

What pisses me off, is how the big three groups have cut-back so much, that somehow they have managed to get the BBC to fund them to take on extra reporters, yeah, as bonkers as it sounds the TV licence fee is being used to fund local newspaper reporters, mainly for the big three groups. :mad:

Grenfell Tower final death toll 71

Police say they've identified everyone who has died - 71 people :(
I want to ask a question about the upcoming memorial service (this Thursday), and this thread seemed like it might be a good place to do it.

The service is going to be broadcast on the BBC, and I was wondering if any Urbanites might have the technological capability to record it and convert the video to a file that could be uploaded and shared on the web.

I understand that this officially constitutes copyright infringement, and is often frowned upon, but I'm asking because the last two victims of the fire, including the woman pictured in BigTom's linked article, were my aunt and my cousin, Victoria King and Alexandra Atala. My mother (Vicky's sister) lives in Australia, and she can't be there for the service, but she would really like to have a copy of it to watch, and I don't think they're going to show it on Aussie television. I'm in the US, and I don't think they'll show it here either.

If this were likely to be a really popular show, I would just wait for it to air and then go searching the internet in the sort of places where pirated TV shows are shared online. But I wonder whether this would be something that people are likely to upload? Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions about how I could get a copy for my mum, that would be great.

I want to ask a question about the upcoming memorial service (this Thursday), and this thread seemed like it might be a good place to do it.

The service is going to be broadcast on the BBC, and I was wondering if any Urbanites might have the technological capability to record it and convert the video to a file that could be uploaded and shared on the web.

I understand that this officially constitutes copyright infringement, and is often frowned upon, but I'm asking because the last two victims of the fire, including the woman pictured in BigTom's linked article, were my aunt and my cousin, Victoria King and Alexandra Atala. My mother (Vicky's sister) lives in Australia, and she can't be there for the service, but she would really like to have a copy of it to watch, and I don't think they're going to show it on Aussie television. I'm in the US, and I don't think they'll show it here either.

If this were likely to be a really popular show, I would just wait for it to air and then go searching the internet in the sort of places where pirated TV shows are shared online. But I wonder whether this would be something that people are likely to upload? Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions about how I could get a copy for my mum, that would be great.

Have you tried the media team phone number on the memorial service link? I can't believe they (or the BBC) wouldn't sent a copy of the service out to your mum in the circumstances.

Commiserations. :(
Thanks. I hadn't actually seen my aunt or cousin for almost 30 years, so for me it's not really a loss, in the sort of personal sense that you often associate with family. I remember them, but it was so long ago that I don't really have that sort of connection. It's different for mum, though. Vicky was her sister, and they grew up together.
I'm sure there'll be someone who can sort it but if not a quick google...

Top 5 Ways to Record BBC iPlayer Stream on Windows/Mac
Thanks.

There's no way my mother is technologically savvy enough to do it, but I might be able to work it out. Even though I'm outside the UK, I can get iPlayer shows through my DNS Unlocator subscription, so I'll give it a go.
Have you tried the media team phone number on the memorial service link? I can't believe they (or the BBC) wouldn't sent a copy of the service out to your mum in the circumstances.
That's definitely worth a shot. I'll check it out.

For what it's worth, my mother has nothing but praise for the people she's been in contact with regarding this whole thing. From the moment she got in touch with the authorities in London, they've kept her informed of everything they've been doing to track down her sister and neice, and confirm the deaths. She got regular phone calls and email updates, and they even organized for the Australian Federal Police to come to mum's house and collect a DNA sample for comparison. I know that there has been a lot of criticize in the political handling of so many things related to this disaster, but mum's experiences with the police and other officials has been fantastic from start to finish, she says.

On the front of today's times:

View attachment 122712

OK first two points are pretty vague but as far as I've seen there are all sorts of groups fundraising and organising on this issue, it would be some kind of miracle if some weirdos weren't involved in a few of them. It's not that hard to do five minutes' research to make sure the group you're supporting or working with is legit, vouched for by people you trust etc.

Point three is just nothing. The council clearly does have blood on it's hands, being a union officer is a far more respectable position than being a murdoch hack, and John McDonnell is a front bench politician not some danerous fringe lunatic.

Point four is classic pot-kettle-black stuff. Unlike Mr Putin, Rupert Murdoch has for years openly boasted about his ability to control the British government.

That will probably keep lawyers going for years, though I'd be amazed if its the leaseholders who have to stump up money to the landlord at the end of it - after all its not a repair to the building, it is the building being defective by design (the cladding seems to have been on there since it was built). You would also think that the leaseholders have a good case against the freeholder as well, given the danger they have been exposed to.

That will probably keep lawyers going for years, though I'd be amazed if its the leaseholders who have to stump up money to the landlord at the end of it - after all its not a repair to the building, it is the building being defective by design (the cladding seems to have been on there since it was built). You would also think that the leaseholders have a good case against the freeholder as well, given the danger they have been exposed to.
Yeh, you'd think so

Poor first paragraph in that article. It's the leaseholders not the residents who'll be asked to foot the bill. Some of the leaseholders will be residents, of course, but I'd guess at least half of the flats in that building are owned by buy-to-let investors.

True, though if they did get stung with a £31,300 bill then you can bet that is going to get passed on to the people renting the flat in one way or another.

Fire brigades are now carrying out far more safety audits and issuing far more enforcement notices than they were pre-Grenfell. Previously, if the fire brigade deemed a building to be a safety risk, the building's freeholder was given a reasonable amount of time to arrange the necessary repairs without the need for wardens.

I'm slightly baffled by the need for wardens in this instance. Wardens don't put out fires themselves, they patrol the building and, if they discover a fire, alert the fire brigade and bang on residents' doors to get them out of the building. In other words, wardens do the job that a good fire alarm system would do. This looks like a modern building so I'm surprised it doesn't have a modern alarm system.

This looks like a freeholder cock-up to me as a) the building wasn't safe when it should have been and b) the enforcement notice could have been legally challenged before wardens were employed - the freeholder doesn't seem to have done this.

Good luck to the flat owners (even the buy-to-let ones). They'll probably have to stump up for the repairs but should have a good chance of avoiding the wardens cost which should come out of the freeholder's pocket.

EDIT: I've sobered up. Fuck the buy-to-let shits.

Last edited:
Drove past it again today. Can't believe they've still not covered it up yet, it's such a desperately miserable sight. Just can't imagine what it must be like for families affected to have to see this day in day out, this charred stump of a building. Gives me a lump in the throat every time and I've no connection, the mental harm to those directly involved must be huge.

For some reason it gets to me more at night, the surrounding blocks have lights on, but this one stands dark.

Back
Top Bottom