Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Great idea.:)

Residents of council tower blocks and estates across East and South London dropped 22 banners – one for each of the 22 residential floors in the 24 storey Grenfell Tower, destroyed by fire in Latimer Road on 14 June – in a show of mass solidarity with victims, survivors and local community.

gren-18-674x450.jpg

gren-13.jpg

gren-3.jpg

A beautiful message to the Grenfell community, from the housing estates of East London

Any idea who the guy complaining is?
I think that's the Labour group leader, Cllr Robert Atkinson.

There's another video from the ‘meeting’ which goes on longer at the end, and there are a few more people in the audience towards the front who speak, and I'm pretty sure they're also Labour councillors (Robert Thompson, Monica Press and Beinazir Lasharie); the Tory backbenchers seem to be sat further to the rear of the room.

See:

RBKC Councillors

Theresa May just lied in the commons while trying to make this non-party political.

She alleged that cladding of tower blocks began under Tony Blair, yet there was a 1999 parliamentary inquiry into cladding fires on tower blocks that identified these fires amongst others that had already occurred well before Tony Blair was in power.
Knowsley Heights, Liverpool, 1991. Deliberate fire spread up and behind rainscreen cladding, extended over 11 floors. Building Regulations were changed as a result of this.

Mercantile credit building, Basingstoke, 1991. Fire on 8th floor spread up the building behind glass curtain walling.

Three storey block in Milton Keynes, 1995. Roof destroyed.

Alpha House Coventry, 1997. Flames travelled up the outside of the block from 13th to 17th floor. No fire penetration of the flats.

Butler House, Grays, Essex, 1997. Fire in top flat of 14 storey block caused uPVC window frames to melt and drip, which in turn caused some damage to cladding.

This began under a Tory government.

Watched this report on the news this morning, what I don't get is this line - "Both types of cladding have the same fire official rating."

They're rated the same, so the decision wasn't made to knowingly substitute a a product of a lesser grade, it would have met the same criteria for fire performance. This doesn't mean that it was of the same flammability, just that both (according to official tests) met a particular standard - although it turns out the original proposed material would have performed better. I doubt it was considered any further than meeting the same specification

Still, this phrase in the BBC report is a fairly damning indictment of austerity:

The savings were part of an ongoing effort by the council and the local tenant management organisation to drive down the cost of the refurbishment.
A source close to one of the many companies involved in the project said the change was typical of constant pressure by councils to reduce the costs of building refurbishments.

Which bit ?

You said '...that personal criticising judges because you don't like the law they interpret makes you level with the daily mail.'

So in a very brief post you managed to get two things wrong. Firstly it wasn't the law that was being disliked (which is what your post actually says), it was specifically the interpretation that was being objected to. Secondly objecting to a judge's particular interpretation (an objection unanimously endorsed by the supreme court) doesn't place an individual on an internet forum 'on a level' with a national newspaper, a pro-tory national news paper with huge international reach.

It's not so much which bits you got wrong as you got nothing right.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Aluminium cladding is cheaper than zinc.

I don't believe the change of face material from aluminium to zinc is relevant to fire resistance (might be wrong though).

In fact zinc melts at a lower temperature than aluminium. However, the original panels may have had some kind of zinc alloy.

What's relevant is the core material. The question is whether the originally specified zinc panels had a more fire resistant core.

They're rated the same, so the decision wasn't made to knowingly substitute a a product of a lesser grade, it would have met the same criteria for fire performance. This doesn't mean that it was of the same flammability, just that both (according to official tests) met a particular standard - although it turns out the original proposed material would have performed better. I doubt it was considered any further than meeting the same specification

That's what I was thinking, if you are offered 2 versions of cladding & told they are both as safe as each other, but one will save you about £300k, logically the cheaper option is going to get chosen.

Aluminium cladding is cheaper than zinc.

I don't believe the change of face material from aluminium to zinc is relevant to fire resistance (might be wrong though).

In fact zinc melts at a lower temperature than aluminium. However, the original panels may have had some kind of zinc alloy.

What's relevant is the core material. The question is whether the originally specified zinc panels had a more fire resistant core.
The question for me is more how it is possible for a - presumably - somewhat carefully arrived-at specification for materials can be almost summarily changed purely to save some money and by simply making some kind of equivalence on the basis of a standard, rather than going back and looking at the previous decisions that were made in regard to the original material, and questioning where any impact of the revised choice might fall. "Regression testing", if you will...

wrt the council's excuse for stopping the meeting yesterday saying it would prejudice the inquiry, Wondering whether the council meeting and minutes could have informed/been used by the inquiry if considered appropriate?

obviously the council and senior officers/cabinet are arse covering and dodging it as far as possible but how valid (or rather legal) is their excuse?

wrt the council's excuse for stopping the meeting yesterday saying it would prejudice the inquiry, Wondering whether the council meeting and minutes could have informed/been used by the inquiry if considered appropriate?

obviously the council and senior officers/cabinet are arse covering and dodging it as far as possible but how valid (or rather legal) is their excuse?
If they are finding any of that a problem then they might finally realise that they should resign.

The question for me is more how it is possible for a - presumably - somewhat carefully arrived-at specification for materials can be almost summarily changed purely to save some money and by simply making some kind of equivalence on the basis of a standard, rather than going back and looking at the previous decisions that were made in regard to the original material, and questioning where any impact of the revised choice might fall. "Regression testing", if you will...

Plans inevitably change from those submitted for permission. You just need to get permission for that change, and/or building regs approval. And why would you go beyond that? if something is rated as safe by building regs, and passes an inspection you're not unjustified in thinking it's suitable... The problem is that we're looking at this in hindsight; Grenfell has massively highlighted incidents of fire related to this particular material. And we don't know what combination of factors lead to the fire spreading so quickly. In essence it's entirely reasonable to look at two products with the same fire rating but a cost difference of £300k and go for the cheaper one. There may be factors at play that run deeper than that, but that surface decision is difficult to criticise. The question beyond that is why was the non-fr product chosen, for a saving of only £5k (assuming that's correct).

But if both types of panel had the same fire rating, that's not where the blame lies.

At the moment the fault seems to be with the testing and safety standards.
I don't know if this is relevant, but I saw on tv the other night a report saying that the original testing process involved putting cladding on a test structure and setting fire to it to see how it performed. This was later stopped and manufacturers merely required to provide proof they had followed procedures. [or some such - I'll try to find the report and link to it]

We have at present absolutely no idea whether this is what happened or not.

Back
Top Bottom