Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Wonderful chain of reasoning there.

I said that personal criticising judges because you don't like the law they interpret makes you level with the daily mail.

The Supreme Court is for overturning lower cases who's interpretation they don't agree with.

Alex

Apart from all the other dodgy rulings he's made, this is quite unsurprising...

Who (/how/why) decides which judge should be appointed? I mean I get it's a fit up, a judge appointed to serve a purpose, but what's the process they base it on (to explain it away, sorta thing)? I read something earlier about the residents rightly demanding that they have input into who will oversee the enquiry. Obviously that's going to be made difficult but is there any existing legal way for them to challenge it?

Theresa May? She has an excellent track record for picking heads of inquiries.

I said that personal criticising judges because you don't like the law they interpret makes you level with the daily mail.

The Supreme Court is for overturning lower cases who's interpretation they don't agree with.

Alex
Take the word interpret out of your posts. It doesn't belong in that argument. If you think that it it does then you've killed your argument from the start as people subject to laws have every right to criticise the various subjective interpretations of them that judges come up with.

Alex

The worst you can say about the criticism of Biro is that people have mentioned a previous ruling in a somewhat knowing way. No-one has plastered his face across the front pages and called him a traitor. Also his ruling has already been commented on by the supreme court, who overruled it. It is a judgment has been criticised, that criticism is available to anyone who can access the report. There's also a brief summary on wikipedia... It is an established ruling.

And of course it's reasonable to criticise previous rulings... I mean how the fuck do you think people go about reforming archaic interpretations of the law if not by repeatedly and persistently challenging it?

Alex

Yes you did say that, and you were wrong.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Councillors will be convening to discuss the Grenfell Tower fire, according to a notice on the local authority's website, joined by support officers and “invited guests (if any)”.

The notice said: “Please note this meeting will be held entirely in private session, pursuant to Standing Order 31.01, in the light of the risk of disruption (as witnessed on Friday 16 June) and consequent security and public safety concerns.

“As such it will be open only to council members, support officers and invited guests (if any).

“The public minutes of this meeting will be published, in due course, on the council website.”

It is unclear whether any survivors have been invited to the meeting as “guests”.
Grenfell Tower survivors have been banned from Kensington and Chelsea council meetings

Looking forward to those minutes being published.

The notice (from that nice Mr Bone)

DDei8OGXkAAjCUu.jpg

Charlie Falconer was on WatO just now describing this proposed in camera cabinet meeting as "very ill-judged" and saying that they should have organised security if they were worried about disruption and there was no excuse for not at least permitting the press to attend, and that he hopes they change their mind. He sounded quite upset about it. (He'd been hauled onto the programme to say what a super top bloke Sir Martin Moore-Bick is.)

It's all of a piece, isn't it, with their arrogance and incompetence.

Charlie Falconer was on WatO just now describing this proposed in camera cabinet meeting as "very ill-judged" and saying that they should have organised security if they were worried about disruption and there was no excuse for not at least permitting the press to attend, and that he hopes they change their mind. He sounded quite upset about it. (He'd been hauled onto the programme to say what a super top bloke Sir Martin Moore-Bick is.)

It's all of a piece, isn't it, with their arrogance and incompetence.

The disorder that lot will cause is almost as well signposted as the disaster was.

The worst you can say about the criticism of Biro is that people have mentioned a previous ruling in a somewhat knowing way. No-one has plastered his face across the front pages and called him a traitor. Also his ruling has already been commented on by the supreme court, who overruled it. It is a judgment has been criticised, that criticism is available to anyone who can access the report. There's also a brief summary on wikipedia... It is an established ruling.

And of course it's reasonable to criticise previous rulings... I mean how the fuck do you think people go about reforming archaic interpretations of the law if not by repeatedly and persistently challenging it?

There is a huge difference between criticising his ruleings - which is what the Supreme Court is for and criticising him personally.

Alex

Judge orders council to allow media into Grenfell Tower meeting

ETA Woah!

'Asked on what basis the media was also being excluded, a different council spokesman said: “The press are the public. There is no distinction between them.”

Further asked if the council had evidence press could contribute to disorder, the spokesman said: “Well, I’ve seen the media kick off before.”'

ETA Woah!

'Asked on what basis the media was also being excluded, a different council spokesman said: “The press are the public. There is no distinction between them.”

Further asked if the council had evidence press could contribute to disorder, the spokesman said: “Well, I’ve seen the media kick off before.”'
I thought for a moment you made that last quote up to make K&C look even more ridiculous. But you didn't. Some sentient human being actually said it. To a journalist.

There are no facepalms big enough...

Back
Top Bottom