Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

yep archway tower. Because of that change of use clause they will have had to fit sprinklers throughout, and fire doors on every landing which they did do.

Property hazards and landlords Duty of Care..
Worth reading from Duty of Care onwards.

Property Hazards and the Landlord's Duty of Care
from the above link:

Design and construction
Notwithstanding the landlord's historical immunity, there are specific situations where the courts have held that a landlord can be liable for negligence when letting a property. Builders, developers, architects, surveyors and designers who have failed to exercise reasonable care in the work that they have carried out on a building have been held to be liable to the occupiers of that building for injury or damage resulting from their negligence.

Camden are taking down the cladding on some of their buildings immediately and putting 24 hour fire wardens on site while they do so.

Work was done by Rydon and Harley Facades, the same contractors as the Grenfell tower and Camden say that the cladding used was not the cladding that was specified.

Councillor Georgia Gould said:
“The new results from the laboratory show that the outer cladding panels themselves are made up of aluminium panels with a polyethylene core.

“Therefore the panels that were fitted were not to the standard that we had commissioned. In light of this, we will be informing the contractor that we will be taking urgent legal advice.

Exclusive: Cladding to be removed from Camden blocks after tests reveal similarities with Grenfell Tower

Camden are taking down the cladding on some of their buildings immediately and putting 24 hour fire wardens on site while they do so.

Work was done by Rydon and Harley Facades, the same contractors as the Grenfell tower and Camden say that the cladding used was not the cladding that was specified.

Exclusive: Cladding to be removed from Camden blocks after tests reveal similarities with Grenfell Tower

Blimey. There's seem deeply worrying implications there. There is an almighty suggestion that Rydon and Harley have been up to no good. This could yet lead to corporate manslaughter. I'm genuinely staggered by some of the stuff coming out. I know that construction is a bit of bodge-it industry and there is a lot of corner cutting. I never expected anything quite as serious and cynical as this.

They may be able to get away with adding extra fire breaks, and updating existing fire protection within the building (e.g. sprinklers, improved egress, being thorough about compartmentalisation). The problem with Grenfell wasn't just that the cladding appears to have caught fire rapidly, but that there was weak protection inside the building. Also if it happened again elsewhere I doubt anyone would stay in their flat as advised to on this occasion.

The basic design of this type of tower block relies on effective compartmentalisation and protection within each flat. Hence the single staircase and tragic advice to stay in flat unless advised otherwise. I don't think that width staircase will comply with means of escape required widths etc (rightly so after ibrox etc disasters) if all residents were to take to staircase at once.

Sprinkler systems installation (good for Croydon to propose) require all sorts of consideration re zoning and insurance for "what if your neighbour sets them off and ruins your stuff ". Yet somehow urgent solutions need to be found.

Have shares in rockwool gone up in the last week? I'm an architect (though I've never wished on tower blocks) and I feel collective guilt for the whole building industry except a few individuals like Sam Webb who have been pointing out these things for years.

This tower (before & after pics below) is where 'mr bimble' lives at the moment, on 14th floor. It was clad as part of the transformation from 70s brutalist office block to swanky flats. There is cladding on so many buildings now, I have no clue of course if this building was done safely whilst Grenfell wasn't but am sure they'll find residents asking questions even here.
View attachment 109909

If you get a close up photo of the new cladding I'll probably be able to tell if its an ACM panel.

Closeups from the architects in here GRID Architects | Archway Tower
I'll try taking pictures of the real thing when next there. (thanks)

The CGI's look like they were proposing a GRC panel which would be a good thing as its a concrete based system. Test report here: http://telling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Firetest-classification-report-grc.pdf

The problem is if the last week has taught us anything is that what the architect proposed and what was used are not always the same.

The problem is if the last week has taught us anything is that what the architect proposed and what was used are not always the same.
Yes, thanks. It looks plasticy in real life, the cladding, to a clueless eye anyway. But that place has very good internal fire prevention measures, as it seems it had to have by law as it went through 'significant change of use'. That makes so little sense to me - why does change of use mean you must install sprinklers etc, whilst total refurb whilst keeping same use doesn't.

You can see it undergoing refurbishment in google maps.
See this is a prime example of how architects sell a scheme which ends up looking nothing like the proposals.

First thoughts are that it is definitely not a cassette system as used at Grenfell and you can see loads of Rockwool so at least the insulation is completely non-combustible. It looks like a standard ventilated rainscreen but I can't see what the panel is.

It appears that at Greenfell they were combining many different products and fixing methods which in isolation may have been OK but used together in a system were a accident waiting to happen.

The system going on the wall in the google image is very different.

^ that looks dodgy as hell, says someone who knows nothing about cladding. :(View attachment 109911

Nah don't worry about that, that's how rainscreen is fixed. The steel rails create a good fix and the ventilated cavity behind it. The yellow-ish insulation is Rockwool (which as the name suggests is made from rocks). The photo also shows the Tyvek membrane which is absolutely standard.

Looks like a textbook installation from what I can see.

I worked for a corporation 20 years ago, we manufactured sporting goods and all employees who went to factories were given training in how to spot unsafe practices, be they stuff such as workers taking guards off machinery (you can work faster but injury is more likely), to checking that all hazardous materials were correctly labelled and stored, to fire safety. I had to do a course and pass an exam. And every time I visited I had to follow a listed procedure as part of my visit. I knew to check the extinguishers were there, they were in date, there was no rubbish being stored, all the safety signs were in place, lots of stuff, we all had to and as a result checks happened regularly, several times a year, with a proper health and safety audit carried out by the auditor once a year. Yes of course this is all because of pressure from from activism, the media reports about sweatshops. The thing is, it is being done. People are being forced to give a fuck.
We are treating our own council housing tenants with less care than a commercial corporation making garments in asia would treat their employees.

Last edited:
Fucker probably got 1/4 of a million to do it as well.
The only reason I think of for resign rather than sacked is avoiding an unfair dismissal claim as with baby p. But you are probably right, these super annuated arseholes have no shame

The vile Melanie Phillips wades in on Newsnight to unintentionally remind us that May is relatively human compared to some ... (I haven't actually watched the video)

mp.png

To me it doesn't seem safe to assume that the same system with Rockwool instead of celotex would be OK. If it's the case that it was primarily the cladding that fuelled the fire - and it appears that when it does burn, it burns really hot - then it's possible that the Rockwool would quickly fry away to nothing, enhancing any chimney effect and exposing window frames etc.

Back
Top Bottom