Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Balance of probabilities rather than beyond reasonable doubt, other than that I don't know what would be pertinent.

Well that's the only fair way I can see, if I am wrong then the law seems wrong to me.
With a custodial sentence though - which I think is what's in many people's minds when it comes to this - it all falls apart a bit. Sentencing fifty odd people to all serve a few weeks would only minorly inconvenience them, and give no sense that 'justice has been served' to the victims.

Besides - the burdens of proof you mention are an absolutely enormous difference.

In normal criminal law you'd require mens rea, guilty mind. i.e someone would have to intend to do something. Obviously that doesn't apply in negligence, but it's still not really in the public interest to prosecute people for many types of negligent behaviour. They can be liable in a civil sense, but the criminal question is whether they need to be punished. It's not simply a different standard of proof, it's a different standard of behaviour... Gross negligence manslaughter requires that the conduct be so bad as to amount to a crime. In a complex case with multiple causes, where different parties may be responsible for different actions or omissions, it may be difficult to say that a particular action was, on its own, grossly negligent.
You say it doesn't apply to negligence, but it does - which you've then gone on to outline quite nicely!

A decision not to act is still mens rea. A decision not to be as thorough as needed - mens rea. A decision to prioritise something else instead, whether it be other work or golf - mens rea. Intent not to bother is still an intent.

You say it doesn't apply to negligence, but it does - which you've then gone on to outline quite nicely!

A decision not to act is still mens rea. A decision not to be as thorough as needed - mens rea. A decision to prioritise something else instead, whether it be other work or golf - mens rea. Intent not to bother is still an intent.

Not exactly. Mens rea requires a knowledge of the defendant's state of mind and that isn't required for gross negligence.

Not exactly. Mens rea requires a knowledge of the defendant's state of mind and that isn't required for gross negligence.
Mens rea IS a gulity mind, which can include an omission too surely? This line of reasoning was used in the Supreme Court in Feb this year, Armes or NA vs Nottinghamshire Council, you can watch it on the website herer if interested https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2016-0004.html.
Vicarious liability and a Non delegable Duty of Care. The case has very similar legal principles a duty of care, vicarious liability and a non delagble duty.. Which the council in Grenfell Towers would most likely argue as there defense, that all responsibilty past to KCTMO, i doubut it would get away with it though after 3 years of complaints. Whilst the Armes case is about historical child abuse and the LAs duty of care to children in foster placements and other associated care facilities (homes). The outcome will have a bearing on the level of duty a LA has in a wide range of situations, Grenfell Towers included.Still awaiting the outcome of the Appeal from 8th and 9th Feb this year.

Mens rea IS a gulity mind, which can include an omission too surely? This line of reasoning was used in the Supreme Court in Feb this year, Armes or NA vs Nottinghamshire Council, you can watch it on the website herer if interested https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2016-0004.html.
Vicarious liability and a Non delegable Duty of Care. The case has very similar legal principles a duty of care, vicarious liability and a non delagble duty.. Which the council in Grenfell Towers would most likely argue as therer defense, that all responsibilty past to KCTMO, i doubut it would get away with it though after 3 years of complaints. Whilst the Armes case is about historical child abuse and the LAs duty of care to children in foster placements and other associated care facilities (homes). The outciome will have a bearing on the level of duty a LA has in a wide range of situations, Grenfell Towers included.Still awaiting the outcome of the Appeal from 8th and 9th Feb this year.

Negligence can be a type of mens rea, but mens rea is not always required to show negligence. Look, it's nearly 1am.

In Bristol the council maybe 20 years ago used polystyrene insulation then high tech sticky render on the local tower blocks - the same as used on terraced houses in my street - my neighbour has recently done his whole back wall.
Certainly perfectly safe on low-rise ... doubtless much more expensive and higher maintenance to use render rather than rigid panels.

I was melting holes in polystyrene yesterday and the thought of vast amounts of that going up doesn't bear thinking about it I believe napalm is similar material.

Last edited:
The same grounds that police would use if they were doing a drugs bust. They are investigating criminal offences and wish to seize evidence before it can be destroyed.
right. so you think the police can just turn up and say 'we suspect criminal offences' and grab a load of stuff, they don't know what it is, and make off with it. a giant fishing expedition as it were. not to mention a range of the material they'll be after will be in the rbkc archives. do you think archivists would be complicit in this sort of destruction activity? if cops were doing a drugs bust they would have powers of entry: what power of entry do you suggest the police use in this instance?

With a custodial sentence though - which I think is what's in many people's minds when it comes to this - it all falls apart a bit. Sentencing fifty odd people to all serve a few weeks would only minorly inconvenience them, and give no sense that 'justice has been served' to the victims.

Besides - the burdens of proof you mention are an absolutely enormous difference.
Yes, in favour of the plaintiff. I would guess an action taken under a duty of care breach would be a civil action.
A duty of care requires action where necessary. "Qui tacet consentire videtur" - he who stays silent, consents

right. so you think the police can just turn up and say 'we suspect criminal offences' and grab a load of stuff, they don't know what it is, and make off with it. a giant fishing expedition as it were. not to mention a range of the material they'll be after will be in the rbkc archives. do you think archivists would be complicit in this sort of destruction activity? if cops were doing a drugs bust they would have powers of entry: what power of entry do you suggest the police use in this instance?
I suggest they simply knock on the door

IDS and Mogg in parliament arguing that all tower blocks should now be torn down, no doubt to make way for their developer mates. Sick fuckers see the potential for grift in all of this.

Somebody should ask those twats why they think it is that places like Hong Kong and Singapore have been able to put most of their populations in public housing tower blocks without this kind of fire happening.

I've said before on this site I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with pulling down these 60's and 70's high rise blocks, I just don't think they're fit for purpose. The big caveat to this is that they would need to be replaced with something that was fit for purpose and the residents re-housed in the new block. As this is clearly never going to happen under a tory or labour regime they will have to stay.

This tower (before & after pics below) is where 'mr bimble' lives at the moment, on 14th floor. It was clad as part of the transformation from 70s brutalist office block to swanky flats. There is cladding on so many buildings now, I have no clue of course if this building was done safely whilst Grenfell wasn't but am sure they'll find residents asking questions even here.
165-3986304-2-archway-tower.jpg

This tower (before & after pics below) is where 'mr bimble' lives at the moment, on 14th floor. It was clad as part of the transformation from 70s brutalist office block to swanky flats. There is cladding on so many buildings now, I have no clue of course if this building was done safely whilst Grenfell wasn't but am sure they'll find residents asking questions even here.
View attachment 109909
so that's the 66m tall archway tower

Back
Top Bottom