Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury - not as good as it used to be

The ticketing process was a joke. And packing up to leave at 2am was never going to happen. The festival itself can't cope with rain - it was a muddy disaster area. Leaving the car parks was dreadful because the roads disintergrated and the people in the fields were left to fester by the festival. My friends who took the non-see bus had a similarly awful time. More organisational craposity. Its overpriced due to its captive audience, and that most people can afford it anyway becuase the whole venture is for those with a big load of cash to spare.

The festival is OK when its hot, but a disaster area in those conditions. With the amount of cash floating around they could have built a few decent roads, or just bloody coincreted the place. My rose tinted spectacles extend to having experienced it in the past when it was hot. My waterproofs started to leak, but when you go to try and buy replacements and the people are gonna fleece you becuase beacuse you have no other choice it says to me the Glastonbury spirit is 'fuck you give me your money' more than anything else.

bouncer_the_dog said:
The festival is OK when its hot, but a disaster area in those conditions. With the amount of cash floating around they could have built a few decent roads, or just bloody coincreted the place.

IT'S A WORKING DAIRY FARM YOU MUPPET

I don't buy the 'its a dairy farm' excuse. Its also Britains biggest media event. Saying 'ooh its a working dairy farm' is an excuse to let people walk around in shit for a week and pay for the privilage! There is no way the cows make more money that the festival. The crap infrastructure is just cost cutting.

bouncer_the_dog said:
I don't buy the 'its a dairy farm' excuse. Its also Britains biggest media event.

aye, it sounds like you're looking for that media event. Good luck to you. I hope you get treated better at other events.

JTG said:
The fact it's a farm in Somerset is an excuse for the place being a mudbath when it encounters vast quantities of rain and a couple of hundred thousand people. You know this before you go. No amount of drainage will change this so be prepared or don't come.

I spent a total of 24 hours across three separate days standing outside in the pissing rain working and didn't once get soaked to the skin because I had decent footwear and clothing. The only mud I ended up with was on my boots and trousers.

As I say, if you want to be on a site which is close to 'civilisation' and unlikely to turn into an ankle deep swamp, go to Reading. Glastonbury is what it is and unless they move it to a completely different site, and probably country, it won't escape the basic problems of mud after wet weather that you are bemoaning.

It's just beyond me why you thought it may have been any different - I have no idea whether you have been before but you must surely have seen pictures of previous wet years.

ETA: Michael Eavis was referring to the new drainage through the railway line to prevent the near disastrous flooding of two years ago. It worked.
As for going elsewhere - well I'll be interested to see if you get the sheer variety of experiences for the same money anywhere else or find any festival caterers elsewhere who do significantly cheaper meals. Because I doubt that you will.
I'm with you here-If it had not rained, more people would be going on about Glastonbury being the best thing ever! A festival is outside and you take your chances with English weather or not go. Nobodys fault. And it is a fucking bargain. I have spent a tenner on seeing bands so unknown they don't even make the listings. We worked it out last night to logically see (with time to move) all the bands and entertainment you might like to witness each day would normally come into thousands and thousands of pounds if witnessed individually..Never mind the art, green fields etc

bouncer_the_dog said:
I don't buy the 'its a dairy farm' excuse. Its also Britains biggest media event. Saying 'ooh its a working dairy farm' is an excuse to let people walk around in shit for a week and pay for the privilage! There is no way the cows make more money that the festival. The crap infrastructure is just cost cutting.
Jesus christ, I wonder why you even bothered buying a ticket.

This year was a fucking nightmare due to the natural consequence of loads of rain + loads of people stomping up mud. I think the mud prevented people from being so bouncy and energetic. People kept their costumes wrapped up and performers such as stilt walkers couldn't do their thing, can't really blame them. It's weather, can't do much about that.

Crowding was a problem though. It would have been better with less people. I was really miffed that I missed loads of acts because the mud in the middle of the site was literally impassable at some "rush hour" times. And the queues for the loos... not cool!!! But then again, when it's dry people lay on the grass and make more space on the paths. people take breaks instead of marching round and round... so maybe it wouldn't have felt so crowded if it were drier.

After having a peek behind the scenes, I am so impressed at how hard people work to keep the festival functioning despite the relentless rain and mud. I know it's costly and messy and chaotic but you have to remember it's a massive festival organised by hippies who more often than not don't get paid so that more money can go to the dozens of deserving causes that benefit from Glastonbury.

bouncer_the_dog said:
Certainly not as good as it used to be.:mad:

The people I didn't have a problem with.

The shite infrastucture and unbelievable costs I couldn't stand. Coupled with trerrible sound and the unadulterated nightmare of leaving.

I am fed up with the veneration of the Eavis'. They are business people like any others - reading the festival magazine is like reading pure propaganda. "i'm glad it rained - we can test the drainage, and it works" say's Eavis. Well a) I'm not glad it rains b) it doesn't fucking work. Either way they have been solidly cashing in on this since 1970. The current state of the festival is just the latest iteration. CND and iCount won't get the punters in like it would have 15 years ago. Now uber hype in the media will suffice. All this charity bollocks is PR padding.

Anyway my complaints are legion. But the bottom line is its not worth the money to me anymore. I got Emperors New Clothes Syndrome when I was wading through the shite soaked to the skin looking for somwhere to spend £5 on a burger. Will be going elsewhere next year.

yeah. thats right !. £145 to see potentially a couple thousand acts. Suffering McFuck thats almost 7p per artist/band/performer.

dirtysanta said:
yeah. thats right !. £145 to see potentially a couple thousand acts. Suffering McFuck thats almost 7p per artist/band/performer.

That irrelevant, because you are not going to get to see everyone. And I am not quibbling the ticket price. I am saying the prices in the festival are extortionate. Anyway, I will try somewhere else next time.

PS: You just didn't look very hard. There's plenty of cheap, excellent quality food. Hell, the krishna guys will feed you for free, and it's a decent veggie curry.

Crispy said:
PS: You just didn't look very hard. There's plenty of cheap, excellent quality food. Hell, the krishna guys will feed you for free, and it's a decent veggie curry.

maybe not.. it must have been obscured by the masses and masses of overpriced stuff..

Balbi said:
Aye, but Carling and Bud as the ONLY beers on sale :eek:

That's not quite true either.

Anyway, it amuses me no end that b_t_d seems to be under the impression that all these festival food outlets will suddenly drop their prices at the other festivals they do :D

If anything, Glastonbury has more cheap(er) food than other places - there's nowhere like Tor Rugby Club's 50p for a can and £3 for a mexican meal at most other festivals I go to.

William of Walworth said:
I have this feeling you weren't there this time, Minnie, and that you're now provoking an erm discussion??

Or correct me if I'm wrong

On the other hand, confirmation will work too ...

Minnie_the_Minx said:
:D :D

Was just messing around. I've never even been to Glastonbury

Sussed ya!! :p

gabi said:
What fucks me off is all these new people coming along and saying they hate Glastonbury. I've been sayin that for years. Get the fuck off my bandwagon, newbies..

:D :p

I remember hearing some twat saying it had gone downhill, back in 1994. Someone was doubtless saying that in 1984 as well, when I was first there, but I was too happy building up positivity from my first Glasto in order to whinge about it later** ... :D

**ten years later :mad: at stupid late eighties/early nineties self

But then, in all my later ones, I had such a great time, rain and mud apart, that I forgot to ...

Actually among my main personal experiences of the difference between Glastos old and new is whether it was muddy or not. Muddy ones were much less good than dry ones, but I'd multiply my enjoyment of a muddy Glasto about 10 times over my 'enjoyment' of even a dry and sunny corporatefest like V or Reading (and anyone who thinks Glasto is 'too corporate' without making a rational comparison first between how Glasto actually is and Reading/V actually are, needs to rethink).. Otherwise tis all good, stuff just changes, some for the worse (and I'm pretty well aware of those) but also some for the better too :)

If we'd had 1997's/1998's drainage in 2007, bouncer wouldn't have been able to bounce out of the mud to moan so promptly, I can tell you. Newbie could probably have said the same to 1997/1998ers about the levels of rain and mud, back in 1985 ...

To bouncer, you're not coming again : good, you can watch 2008's inevitably blistering and scorching one on TELLY! And I bet you'll have regrets/moans about missing that, too ...

ETA : Actually, after reading bouncer's later posts, probably not!

Cakes said:
This year was a fucking nightmare due to the natural consequence of loads of rain + loads of people stomping up mud. I think the mud prevented people from being so bouncy and energetic. People kept their costumes wrapped up and performers such as stilt walkers couldn't do their thing, can't really blame them. It's weather, can't do much about that.

Crowding was a problem though. It would have been better with less people. I was really miffed that I missed loads of acts because the mud in the middle of the site was literally impassable at some "rush hour" times. And the queues for the loos... not cool!!! But then again, when it's dry people lay on the grass and make more space on the paths. people take breaks instead of marching round and round... so maybe it wouldn't have felt so crowded if it were drier.

After having a peek behind the scenes, I am so impressed at how hard people work to keep the festival functioning despite the relentless rain and mud. I know it's costly and messy and chaotic but you have to remember it's a massive festival organised by hippies who more often than not don't get paid so that more money can go to the dozens of deserving causes that benefit from Glastonbury.

Excellent post, especially the bit I've bolded. I was worried about the crowds too. Not far off 2000 levels at times, it seemed like. I also thought the extra number arrangements didn't really take into account the fact that few people will be in the extended campsites during peak times, and will be in the central areas/busy areas of site just the same.

But the mud made all the difference : you can bet your life (or God/the Met Office :p ) that any crushes will be less concentrated next year ;)

:D :p

I remember hearing some twat saying it had gone downhill, back in 1994. Someone was doubtless saying that in 1984 as well, when I was first there, b

Nah by then it had gone downhill never to return, all thanks to Van Morrison. The original concept of the 1981 cowshed pyramid was that there was no backstage area- anyone outside the actual pyramid was part of the crowd, anyone inside was working. VM headlined in 1982 and demanded not only a fenced off area with his own accomodation, but also that he be driven from there to the pyramid and no-one was allowed to look at him, we all had to avert our eyes.

Quite a few people left after that year, never to return :(

On the other hand, confirmation will work too ...

Sussed ya!! :p

I knew you sussed I was minxing, but I still managed to get a few people, and look, I know fuck all about Glastonbury and don't give a shit either but this thread has turned into quite a nice little thread ;)

Good story!!

newbie said:
Nah by then it had gone downhill never to return, all thanks to Van Morrison. The original concept of the 1981 cowshed pyramid was that there was no backstage area- anyone outside the actual pyramid was part of the crowd, anyone inside was working. VM headlined in 1982 and demanded not only a fenced off area with his own accomodation, but also that he be driven from there to the pyramid and no-one was allowed to look at him, we all had to avert our eyes.

Quite a few people left after that year, never to return :(

Anecdotes eh? :eek:

Have to say that stopping going because of that seems a bit extreme!

Minnie_the_Minx said:
I knew you sussed I was minxing, but I still managed to get a few people, and look, I know fuck all about Glastonbury and don't give a shit either but this thread has turned into quite a nice little thread ;)

To the extent you might go next year? ;) :p

:cool:

I remember hearing some twat saying it had gone downhill, back in 1994...

I remember hearing the same thing from some bearded biker/metal-dudes camped nearby in 1992. That was my first Glastonbury, and best.

On a different but related note, I also clearly remember being told by an angry raver that rave was dead in 1991. Her pronouncement was followed by the most mental free festivals and parties over the next year.

To bouncer, you're not coming again : good, you can watch 2008's inevitably blistering and scorching one on TELLY! And I bet you'll have regrets/moans about missing that, too ...

ETA : Actually, after reading bouncer's later posts, probably not!

I'll go to a European one where its hot, perhaps in Czech or Budapest. Or maybe even one day the Burning Man in the US. Whatever.. I've had it with Somerset.

Just got back from Fusion in Germany & I fully recommend it.

Music was a bit shite but then who goes to festivals for that alone?

Back
Top Bottom