Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General election, the urban75 vote

How will you vote?

• Total voters
Because I am curious, I can understand it there's no chance of ousting a tory, but am struggling with why you wouldn't use you vote to do so if there was a chance of getting rid of one.
Fair enough - not question why for anyone else. Assumed ends (getting rid of tories). But the question is fair. My answer is that there is no hope for or protection for the world i want to see and the world that i am forced to live in through these politics. None. I don't protect a damn thing by voting labour, i simply endorse the idea that someone has got to get hurt.

Would take a small miracle for our Labour MP to get elected in this Con/LibDem seat (at the last election Conservatives got 35+%, LibDems weren't far behind and Labour got 9%) but I'll be voting for them nonetheless. In marked contrast to the rest of the country we actually had a bit of a swing towards Labour in Penzance in the local elections, which is odd, but it would take a massive leap for that to be translated into an MP.

Wild card is what might happen with the UKIP vote now that's collapsed. They used to do quite well around here. If they all vote Tory now, as is likely, they'll do a lot better that the LibDems this time.

So, as the only libdem voter I feel the need to justify my vote. Luckily I can!!!

Tim Farron is my local MP. Last time he got 55% and the Cons got 33%. Labour got knowhere, below ukip.

A vote for anyone but libdem would help the conservatives get back in.

Anyway, I've posted at length on other threads why I'm spoiling and what I think about Labour and as 'least worst' politics. Besides, I'm not in a marginal (although if it was a Con-Lab one I might just vote for them if their candidate was reasonably sound and to try and unseat the Tory).

Meh, what a load of shit electoral politics is.

Last edited:
I've heard people talking well of Farron in his constituency (I spend a lot of time there). He seems "good at the local stuff" - helped save a hospital, does fell running at the Ambleside (or Grasmere I forget which) Sports etc.

The area was festooned with orange lozenges when I was last up there a few weeks back.

I don't like it.

Can those people who are refusing to vote or spoiling their ballot please explain their reasoning?

As I said in other threads:

How can I vote for the Labour Party who are closing the local children's centres, closing the local swimming pool and enacting swathes of cuts?

The Labour candidate has explicitly defended these cuts too.

I've heard people talking well of Farron in his constituency (I spend a lot of time there). He seems "good at the local stuff" - helped save a hospital, does fell running at the Ambleside (or Grasmere I forget which) Sports etc.

The area was festooned with orange lozenges when I was last up there a few weeks back.

I don't like it.
I was there on Sunday, a sea of orange 'winning here' lollipops.

They need to update their campaign posters imo. I remember defacing a 'winning here' poster with obscene graffiti 20 years ago.

How can I vote for the Labour Party who are closing the local children's centres, closing the local swimming pool and enacting swathes of cuts?

what makes you think labour would continue with those cuts if they got into no10?

Labour. Lancaster and Fleetwood is a Lab-Con marginal and Cat Smith is a good constituency MP. I think she's going to lose though :(

So, as the only libdem voter I feel the need to justify my vote. Luckily I can!!!

Tim Farron is my local MP. Last time he got 55% and the Cons got 33%. Labour got knowhere, below ukip.

A vote for anyone but libdem would help the conservatives get back in.
Support the bedroom tax, the VAT increases, the tripling of HE fees!

Strikes me that Labour's real electability problem is that those who basically support Corbyn don't want to vote for their Blairite constituency MP whereas those who would support their Blairite constituency MP don't want to vote for Corbyn. Either way, no vote for Labour.

This is what happens when you allow the soul of a party to be utterly corrupted and then think you can fix it just by choosing the right leader.

Labour. Stroud not even that marginal this time but snap election means they've gone with Dave Drew former MP as candidate and I can bring myself to vote for him.

Back
Top Bottom