Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foetal alcohol syndrome

Unfortunately, if putting a foetus at risk becomes a crime against a person, then it's not just going to affect the children born with FAS and their families, is it?
It will never happen in my view, because logistically it's a nightmare of a law. That's why I can't get excited about it. I bet this case goes nowhere too.

I guess that pregnant women always do a kind of risk benefit analysis. Yeah, maybe. Still think it's a bit off to drink heavily in pregnancy though.
Making an educated assumption, I doubt most of those women are just drinking too much in pregnancy because they're feckless. They might not know, or be in denial, which can be pretty complex psychologically. Or they may have drinking issues, perhaps even exacerbated by the stress of pregnancy. I've known a lot of heavyish drinkers who have become pregnant and then cut back to the 1-2 units 1-2x per week or none at all, I don't think when women can't it's as simple as them being outright "selfish".

Obviously I would prefer it if these women were able to stop drinking, but yer know, the reasons why people drink can be complicated. Should they really then be criminalized for that? Indeed, I think it would stop some of these women seeking help.

What if you don't know you're pregnant? Maybe all women of childbearing age should abstain from alcohol, cigarettes, any medication that might damage a foetus just in case?
Isn't that what some suggest in the USA, that any women of childbearing age shouldn't drink just in case?

I also do remember a GP in this country completely guilting me when I told him I was trying to get pregnant but still drinking moderately.

Severe FAS is a quite serious condition.

I am in two minds. I don't think the law is good at causing people to change their behaviour in this kind of scenario. But it is grossly irresponsible to drink very heavily while knowingly pregnant. I don't think it is anti-feminist to say that.

Severe FAS tends to be concomitant to alcohol addiction, though, which is a different proposition to irresponsibly "drinking heavily while knowingly pregnant", most addicts not having the degree of self-control to suspend their addiction while pregnant. While addicts using their substance of choice might be seen as reprehensible under such circumstances, irresponsibility doesn't really enter into it - addiction isn't a two-way street.

When my sister was pregnant she rode her bike to work right up until near the end, when she literally couldn't ride a bike. I think a few people were a little bit funny about it. A few people are c***s :)

He doesn't like it but doesn't want to see it outlawed. As far as I can tell. What's the problem?

I agree. I don't particularly like some of Sasaferrato 's attitudes or opinions, but what is the key factor here is that he does not want to, or think he has a right to enforce his views on others. and I wish a lot more people who share his opinion on abortion also shared his attitudes on legality and access.

It will never happen in my view, because logistically it's a nightmare of a law. That's why I can't get excited about it. I bet this case goes nowhere too.

unfortunately, cases that are an extreme tend to provoke a moral reaction that creates rules that have unintended consequences.

I think the personhood debate is important in abortion, not really so important here.

Surely it's of equal importance? If you contend (as I do with regard to abortion) that "personhood" requires you to be born and start to assimilate environmental information that will eventually help you determine who/what you are, then the ramifications of saying "personhood begins in the womb" with regard to FAS can be seen to have horrific anti-choice implications with regard to aabortion, because the issues will be conflated - "if personhood begins in the womb with reagrd to FAS,, then surely it must begin in the womb with regard to everything?"
David Alton will come in his boxers. :(

Yes of course drink heavily when pregnant! Or when possibly pregnant. And smoke, take medication, climb mountains or do anything else then any other person is legally able to do.

Frankly, if women circumscribed their behaviour in the way that's being suggested, I'm not convinced there'd be any benefit to the child, and certainly not to the mother, who'd effectively become a human brood mare. :(

Surely it's of equal importance? If you contend (as I do with regard to abortion) that "personhood" requires you to be born and start to assimilate environmental information that will eventually help you determine who/what you are, then the ramifications of saying "personhood begins in the womb" with regard to FAS can be seen to have horrific anti-choice implications with regard to aabortion, because the issues will be conflated - "if personhood begins in the womb with reagrd to FAS,, then surely it must begin in the womb with regard to everything?"
David Alton will come in his boxers. :(
I didn't say it begins in the womb? I wanted a concept of future person?

I'm not going to go through the whole same thing with you as I've just been through with someone else. I'll end up with RSI for a start.

Tbf some addicts can recover and come out the other side. It's just bloody hard work.

It's massively rare that an addict can gain true freedom from their addiction without there being masses of containment factors or avoidance behaviours in place to help them along, even simple stuff like not walking through the part of town where you could most likely score.

'The British Pregnancy Advisory Service and legal charity Birthrights have applied to address the court on the case. They believe the ruling could undermine women's freedom to make decisions for themselves while pregnant.'

You don't have the right to damage another human being. End of.

Then why the fuck did you serve in the army? Even as a nurse you knew there was the possibility you'd have to fire on an enemy!

You're either not very self-aware, or you're being massively hypocritical.

It's massively rare that an addict can gain true freedom from their addiction without there being masses of containment factors or avoidance behaviours in place to help them along, even simple stuff like not walking through the part of town where you could most likely score.
I think we're interpreting recovery a bit differently here. I guess I was talking about the basic outward addictive symptoms, i.e. whilst it's a continual battle, there are definitely previous addicts who are now abstinent. And it's definitely possible for a prior addict to not have their substance abuse symptoms but also to live a worthwhile and satisfying life, as according to the recovery model.

That's not incompatible with what you say, and I agree with you.

I misunderstood the post I originally quoted and I hope, in a roundabout way, you are pulling me on that? Or are you of the genuine belief of once an addict always an addict?
I'm of the opinion that we can escape our addictions only with strong wills and good help, but from experience I know it's easy to "fall into bad habits", and to the extent that most of us have to guard ourselves from "falling back into bad habits" then yes, I do believe that once you're an addict, you'll always be an addict.
I don't mean this in the perjorative social sense of "worthless junkie". I'm just acknowledging that as an addict (currently "reformed") I have certain weaknesses that I can never allow myself to forget.

A foetus isn't a human being. It is a potential human being. I can't believe we are having this debate here in the UK in 2014.

I can, purely because the anti-choice crowd with regard to the abortion debate have been using issues such as FAS as a backdoor into the attribution of personhood for years, and they're helped along by some religious types who may not ve a stance per se on abortion, but do have a stance on the purported souls those aborted foetuses carry - "if they've got a soul, then surely they must be a person?" - regardless of the fact that the existence of the soul can't be proven (except perhaps by phildwyer).

I certainly agree with that but I dont agree with the 12 step view that " we" are addicts for the rest of our lives... That's just a way to keep the collection plate full. You have to move on from the guilt at some point and live your life. I digress somewhat.

I'm not a 12-stepper. :D
I'm just speaking from monitoring my own behaviour over the last 20 years, since I got clean.

rubbish

Back
Top Bottom