Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alcohol prices + combatting binge drinking

Increase the costs of supermarket beer and lower the cost of pub beer, IMO.
Why must supermarket beer go up? Aren't there enough price rises as it is?

Who the hell is going to buy British "wine", perry and Italian/ German white wine at these proposed prices?
Why did the government think it would be a good idea to have everyone sober anyway?
This is so fucking tory.

Take a social problem and make money out of it whilst simultaneously dressing it up as a positive change.
To be honest it smacks of Labour to be honest.
I thought tories were supposed to be all for personal choices. Fucking hypocrites.

Because it's killing pubs.
So the answer is to make everything more expensive if you want to drink at home.
Why shouldn't you be able to have a drink at home at reasonable cost.
Putting the prices up is not going to make me drink in a pub. I can't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink in a pub, I only go there during the daytime for food and a soft drink anyway.

Think this one is the real answer.. the owners driving people out by putting prices up and up.

My local is a free house - i'm paying £2.89 a pint from a local brewer (Dark Star). Go to well known brewery owned pub, & you'll be paying £3.60 - £4.00 for the same pint.

Because it's killing pubs.
This isn't going to touch pubs. Even Wetherspoons on special deals charges £2 a pint for drinks that are no more than 4 units. Pubs should be more expensive than supermarkets - you're also paying for service and a seat.

The gap between price in bar and price in supermarket is actually much narrower than in many other countries that have lower alcohol taxes.

no, thats the smoking ban

It was certainly a factor for a lot of pubs when the ban was first introduced, if they couldn't afford themselves, or from the brewery, to provide a warm & comfortable outdoor smoking area. But now, lots of outdoor smoking areas i've been into (Sidewinder in Brighton) are better than being inside the pub! :D

This isn't going to touch pubs. Even Wetherspoons on special deals charges £2 a pint for drinks that are no more than 4 units. Pubs should be more expensive than supermarkets - you're also paying for service and a seat.
Jeez. Do you want a world full of Wetherspoons? Not every pub belongs to that uber-chain and many are struggling really hard to survive - and one of the factors they keep on repeating is the dirt cheap price of supermarket beer.

My local is a free house - i'm paying £2.89 a pint from a local brewer (Dark Star). Go to well known brewery owned pub, & you'll be paying £3.60 - £4.00 for the same pint.
I think you can still get pints locally here just under the £2 mark but not in Leeds centre..

Jeez. Do you want a world full of Wetherspoons? Not every pub belongs to that uber-chain and many are struggling really hard to survive - and one of the factors they keep on repeating is the dirt cheap price of supermarket beer.
You think they are right? You think supermarket beer is 'dirt cheap'? I don't. I also don't think this price-fixing is aimed at people who can afford to drink in pubs.

You missed my point, btw, which is that all pub beer is already considerably more than this minimum price. Are you saying the minimum price should be even higher? You're not being very coherent in your arguments.

It's a poor tax. It won't affect the middle classes who buy their wine by the case at all. It's nothing to do with stopping alcoholism and everything to do with bleeding any last available joy from increasingly miserable lives. Maybe if we didn't have such a shit society poor people wouldn't feel the need to escape from their lives by getting pissed up every Friday and Saturday night.

Quite.

I doubt my single malts and pugliese wines will be affected by this.

(Not that I'm middle class you understand? Just have expensive taste in booze)

Pubs were already long in decline before the smoking ban kicked in. In fact, more pubs closed around me before the ban than after it.

Some breweries couldn't give a fuck if a pub they own goes under due to their increase in the cost of beer, or not providing a smoking area. Before I left Cornwall, one pub's landlord was involved with locals who built the smoking hut themselves. The brewery weren't interested.

steev, if you crave booze, then a dozen cans of Tesco's finest piss keeps the shakes at bay for an evening, even at 3%abv. I worked with a guy who religiously drank his way through a dozen cans of el cheapo cerveza every night for just that reason - cheap drunkeness, and allowed him to keep a roof over his family's head by spending minimal money on the booze.

For sure. But then drinkers like that wouldn't be the targetted 'binge drinkers' either I suppose. Being poor/having to watch the cash is the common denominator, which is what I was trying to get at. Rather than the governments idea of a binge drinker, which is someone who doesn't necessarily drink everyday, but when they go out they drink too much iyswim

For sure. But then drinkers like that wouldn't be the targetted 'binge drinkers' either I suppose. Being poor/having to watch the cash is the common denominator, which is what I was trying to get at. Rather than the governments idea of a binge drinker, which is someone who doesn't necessarily drink everyday, but when they go out they drink too much iyswim
No, the govt defn of binge drinking is 3 pts in one session

Anyway, if you go back to 1998 where I drank a pint of stella was £2.24. A can was £0.89 or £0.99 and of course there were all sorts of offies doing 6 for £5. Now a pint of stella's in the region of at least £3 and a can of stella's still about £1. So there's been a divergence between the two prices.

Anyway, if you go back to 1998 where I drank a pint of stella was £2.24. A can was £0.89 or £0.99 and of course there were all sorts of offies doing 6 for £5. Now a pint of stella's in the region of at least £3 and a can of stella's still about £1. So there's been a divergence between the two prices.

Aye it called tax

It's not a straightforward argument that increasing supermarket booze prices helps pubs. There are all kinds of reasons why people go to pubs, and the budget for it is usually rather separate from the household budget, while supermarket shopping isn't. Make the supermarket bill higher through price-fixing the alcohol bought there, and that may well mean less money to spend down the pub.

Back
Top Bottom