Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drink sewage

Today's map .. News cycle may have moved on but it's daily right now

View attachment 341535

It's been raining a lot recently. Doesn't that make these kind of discharges more likely, as sewage systems get overwhelmed with too much inflowing water?

Like a lot of problems in this country, it's looking like a lack of infrastructural investment and maintenance is a cause of these kind of problems. Surely it can't be technically difficult to install more storm drains, overflow systems, and so on.

It's been raining a lot recently. Doesn't that make these kind of discharges more likely, as sewage systems get overwhelmed with too much inflowing water?

Like a lot of problems in this country, it's looking like a lack of infrastructural investment and maintenance is a cause of these kind of problems. Surely it can't be technically difficult to install more storm drains, overflow systems, and so on.
Not difficult, just expensive and inconvenient - as it involves either a) Retrofitting Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (e.g. soakaways, green roofs, water butts) to slow/reduce ingress of water to combined sewage systems; b) Building underground storage; e.g. storage tunnels; or c) Replacing combined sewers with rainwater and foul water pipes that are separate.

a) Is promising and has environmental benefits but probably can't be done quickly enough to make big inroads to the issue. Probably the lowest cost solution, but a multi-decade thing, and currently dependent on goodwill of land/building owners to institute, short of new legislation being passed.
b) Can get the quickest results but is expensive (e.g. Thames Tideway Tunnel is running at £4-5bn)
c) Digging up existing sewers and replacing pipes is horribly expensive and inconveniences users as it takes out roads/pavements while works are underway.

It's all doable, it just needs political will and funding. I am not sure that those that shout loudest about the issue have properly understood the costs of totally fixing the issue and how this fits with affordability. Tideway Tunnel is c. £20-25 on TW customers' annual bills in a very dense (and hence cost-effective) area. I would imagine higher bills would apply in other, less dense conurbations where the bill has to be spread across fewer people.

Thames Water's live interactive map provides live information of any outlets currently discharging sewage, and how long it has been going on:

As per the Guardian article that brought this map to my attention, there's a town in Gloucestershire that has had sewage dumped into its river for 750 hours straight (at the time of typing) :(

Not difficult, just expensive and inconvenient - as it involves either a) Retrofitting Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (e.g. soakaways, green roofs, water butts) to slow/reduce ingress of water to combined sewage systems; b) Building underground storage; e.g. storage tunnels; or c) Replacing combined sewers with rainwater and foul water pipes that are separate.

a) Is promising and has environmental benefits but probably can't be done quickly enough to make big inroads to the issue. Probably the lowest cost solution, but a multi-decade thing, and currently dependent on goodwill of land/building owners to institute, short of new legislation being passed.
b) Can get the quickest results but is expensive (e.g. Thames Tideway Tunnel is running at £4-5bn)
c) Digging up existing sewers and replacing pipes is horribly expensive and inconveniences users as it takes out roads/pavements while works are underway.

It's all doable, it just needs political will and funding. I am not sure that those that shout loudest about the issue have properly understood the costs of totally fixing the issue and how this fits with affordability. Tideway Tunnel is c. £20-25 on TW customers' annual bills in a very dense (and hence cost-effective) area. I would imagine higher bills would apply in other, less dense conurbations where the bill has to be spread across fewer people.
'Course you could just regard it as the cost of civilisation and charge it to the people who benefit the most - through taxation. We shouldn't buy into the logic that it has to be added to the cost of bills - that's a political choice.

How much longer is shit (no pun intended) like this going to be allowed to continue unchecked and unpunished? :mad:

all the time that the asset management corporations keep making money from it

good, direct quote from an Australian competitor:
“Have been feeling pretty rubbish since the race, but I guess that’s what happens when you swim in shit.

"environmentalism".

How about we force-feed sewage to the shareholder scumbags instead?

Do you mean scumbags like this?

images - 2023-08-05T204344.138.jpeg

I don't particularly like being shushed but it seems a bit extreme. Pension funds are huge stock market investors and they love utilities which in the past week seen as unspectacular but reliable dividend payers.

View attachment 386034

I don't particularly like being shushed but it seems a bit extreme. Pension funds are huge stock market investors and they love utilities which in the past week seen as unspectacular but reliable dividend payers.

The vast majority of pension fund investments in infrastructure/ultilities is via corporate asset management funds and the individual pension contributors are ripped off by the vultures as much as consumers are by charging structures. The Canadian pension funds that invest more directly into utilities are the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: tim

View attachment 386034

I'd wager that most people have no idea where the money for their pensions comes from. I also doubt that Canadian library workers are the ones who endorsed filling our rivers with shit.

I'd wager that most people have no idea where the money for their pensions comes from. I also doubt that Canadian library workers are the ones who endorsed filling our rivers with shit.
I agree, which is why I thought it was cruel of you to propose that they should be gavaged with shit.

Back
Top Bottom