Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dour parsimonious Scotch, Wetherspoons, and drinking at 9am

Wetherpoons breakfasts are shite, as is drinking at 9am.

Disagree. I quite like Wetherspoons breakfasts (and food in general) if looking for something cheap and reliable.

And booze hits you differently earlier in the day, coz your liver isn't functioning optimally. Good fun, though be prepared to write the rest of the day off.

Last edited:
Yes but the only people who are likely to want to are drunks who probably shouldn't.

My mate asked for a Boilermaker at breakfast time. :hmm: When the barmaid didn't know what that was, he just ordered a double whisky and tipped it into his pint. She was a bit shocked. :D

I would think that after working in wetherspoons for any length of time one's ability to be shocked by the capacity of the human male for engaging in utterly pathetic behaviour would be greatly diminished tbh.

I need to be careful of my use of 'oan the swedge' then. I didn't know swedge also meant fighting. :hmm: I might use 'oan the swedge' to mean having a night on pills, where as sounds like it could be taken as going out, looking for a fight.

Maybe it's an East-coast-ism.
Someone on urban dictionary agrees with me at least:
Capture.JPG

Anyway, I don't believe that Scottish people, or even the Scottish People, are any more progressive or wonderful than anyone else, and focussing on one or two particular aspects of Scottish life isn't going to produce a coherent argument.

I have this vague notion that Orang Utan may not have been entirely serious with the thread title. :)

I don't really go clubbing any more, but I'm struggling to think of why anyone would hold Scotland as an example of a particularly progressive country on any front. I wouldn't vote Labour either. :D
Education - working class girls were being taught in schools from the 18th century. St Andrews University led the way in admitting women into higher education.

Some of the harbour pubs here open at 5am, would give the very worst spoons a run for their money for shittiness and its like drugs or commercial sex were never illegal in them either. They might run to a pie or plastic-wrapped toastie on a good day too.

And some are even owned by bigger pubcos than JDW - just they don't put their name above the door and still pretend to have a real "landlord"

Back
Top Bottom