Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dour parsimonious Scotch, Wetherspoons, and drinking at 9am

Oh well, that's sad, but I thought it was the "no letting fees" that pleased Orang Utan, rather than the oddities of council licensing boards. And it does strike me as a bit more important.

Fair enough, all things might as well be open at all times, but it's academic for me, as I would run out of money long before 3 am, never mind 7am. (Although 7am would be lighter for the walking home, I suppose, and there would be more buses than just night buses)

Oh well, that's sad, but I thought it was the "no letting fees" that pleased Orang Utan, rather than the oddities of council licensing boards. And it does strike me as a bit more important.

Fair enough, all things might as well be open at all times, but it's academic for me, as I would run out of money long before 3 am, never mind 7am. (Although 7am would be lighter for the walking home, I suppose, and there would be more buses than just night buses)
You just end up going out later

I wish we had some kind of equivalent of these lot south of the border. An English National Party.

Or better still, why not a British National Party?

Well, you used to have Frank Hansford-Miller and his picturesque English National Party. As for BNP, I think you'll find their policies are a bit nasty, although I welcome your idea of keeping them south of the border. :D Nah, not really - I don't want them to be anywhere.

Be difficult, due to one in one out policy in ginger beards (it was getting silly)

I've got a clan of ginger beard men.
Here a man, there a man, lots of ginger beard men.
Take a couple if you wish. They're on the dish.

(as Syd Barrett didn't sing)

i love that the only policies that JV gives a damn about are to do with legalising drugs. whilst i am pro-legalisation, i am consistently confused and depressed by people who would vote for literally anyone who offered them easier access to drugs.
and as if we really need the ability to legally buy drink past 3am anyway. Do you not think we have enough of a problem with alcoholism in this country?

i love that the only policies that JV gives a damn about are to do with legalising drugs. whilst i am pro-legalisation, i am consistently confused and depressed by people who would vote for literally anyone who offered them easier access to drugs.
Whilst I am anti prohibition, legalising cannabis is not a top priority for me. In fact, it comes somewhere below clearer labelling on packaging for unfitted bottom sheets.

I just did a training session on what can be learned from workers cooperatives and not for profit work groups for a government department and the theme for this years FE sector is Emancipatory Education. Far from a workers paradise in Scotland but I cannot imagine either events being permitted in England.
they do have a better legal and education system though

Whilst I am anti prohibition, legalising cannabis is not a top priority for me. In fact, it comes somewhere below clearer labelling on packaging for unfitted bottom sheets.

Really? The criminalisation of millions of people, combined with the massive cost of that criminilisation in terms of policing, prisons and lost tax revenue is less important to you than labelling on sheets? I mean, it's not an election issue and I agree with El-ahrairah that it's odd to make it one, I'd never vote for a libertarian for instance, but it's important in that it really massively affects many, many peoples lives in a negative way.

Really? The criminalisation of millions of people, combined with the massive cost of that criminilisation in terms of policing, prisons and lost tax revenue is less important to you than labelling on sheets? I mean, it's not an election issue and I agree with El-ahrairah that it's odd to make it one, I'd never vote for a libertarian for instance, but it's important in that it really massively affects many, many peoples lives in a negative way.
Really? Millions of people are "really massively" affected by cannabis not being legal?

I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: Sue
Really? Millions of people are "really massively" affected by cannabis not being legal?

I seriously doubt it.

I said millions are criminalised. Millions smoke cannabis in this country, they are all criminalised.
I said "many, many people" are really massively affected. Lots of people are in prison, or with criminal records, or have just been scammed out of money by some darknet market or a scummy dealer irl.
Then there's the medical users who struggle to get cannabis, or to get the strains that would suit them best.

I can dig out numbers if you actually want them for number of smokers and people imprisoned/criminal records. From memory of numbers from 15+ years ago, I reckon there are low tens of thousands of people currently in prison/on bail/remand/awaiting trial or charging for cannabis related offences. I'd say that's many, many people. Even if it's just in the thousands now, I'd still say that's many, many people.

We could also take it further and talk about how the billions that are spent on policing cannabis and not taken in taxation could be spent and how many people that decision might affect, and how strongly, but whilst it's a valid point it's also a side point in this particular discussion.

Indeed. And I do concede that should have a higher priority.

yep.. and I do wonder how much further along we'd be with actual medical research if cannabis was legal - I've no idea at all, it might make no difference, but it'd be nice to be seeing a lot of proper medical trials to sort out the hippy anecdote bullshit from the areas where there are genuine medical applications (cancer and mental health stuff in particular)

Back
Top Bottom