Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dour parsimonious Scotch, Wetherspoons, and drinking at 9am

Fair enough, all things might as well be open at all times, but it's academic for me, as I would run out of money long before 3 am, never mind 7am. (Although 7am would be lighter for the walking home, I suppose, and there would be more buses than just night buses)

Couple of swedgers and a bottle of water should keep you going till 5 - 7am. :D

and as if we really need the ability to legally buy drink past 3am anyway. Do you not think we have enough of a problem with alcoholism in this country?

Do you think alcoholics ever run out of booze? Do you think not being able to buy booze before 10am inconveniences anyone other than those who like to hit the supermarket early? The SNP are kings of to be seen to be doing something without actually doing anything at all. Do you think closing clubs at 3am is to stop drinkers?

Bastard! I had to look up "swedger"' 'cos I thought it vaguely sounded like an Irvine Welsh word for a fight. So off to Google and Urban Dictionary and not knowing words makes me feel old, hence "bastard".)

Bastard! I had to look up "swedger"' 'cos I thought it vaguely sounded like an Irvine Welsh word for a fight. So off to Google and Urban Dictionary and not knowing words makes me feel old, hence "bastard".)

Swedgers... sweeties... oan the swedge!

'Swedge' is a punchup. Swedgers means sweeties, although more usually specifically eccies rather than normal sweeties these days

'Swedge' is a punchup. Swedgers means sweeties, although more usually specifically eccies rather than normal sweeties these days

Ah. Seriously, thank you because I was wondering what possible fight-y word I had got mixed up with, so now I won't go on a sort of reverse word-search hunt. :)

(Honestly, I have never even heard "swedgers for sweeties" - maybe is very localised.)

Ah. Seriously, thank you because I was wondering what possible fight-y word I had got mixed up with, so now I won't go on a sort of reverse word-search hunt. :)

(Honestly, I have never even heard "swedgers for sweeties" - maybe is very localised.)
We never used it for normal sweeties when I was growing up in East Lothian but it was the normal word for eccies as a teenager.

Scots should have ridded themselves from the English in that horrible vote.....urrggh!!!

Well, that would be a bit tough on English people living here, wouldn't it? Many of whom voted "yes" anyway. It doesn't involve any particular animosity towards "the English" or the Welsh in general.

Hey, I've just remembered - did you know that quite a lot of Daily Mail reader-types think that one reason David Cameron is no use is because they reckon he's Scottish? :D There are some crazy people around.

No
Do you think alcoholics ever run out of booze? Do you think not being able to buy booze before 10am inconveniences anyone other than those who like to hit the supermarket early? The SNP are kings of to be seen to be doing something without actually doing anything at all. Do you think closing clubs at 3am is to stop drinkers?
hard in Scotland to get take outs past 10, though in Edinburgh only hours you can't get a beer is 3-5 am(though more usual is 1 for pubd=, London has more fucked opening hours but you can haggle in a happy shopper past 2 in the morning.

Decriminalisation of non commercial cultivation ftw

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
Well, that would be a bit tough on English people living here, wouldn't it? Many of whom voted "yes" anyway. It doesn't involve any particular animosity towards "the English" or the Welsh in general.

who cares about that? Scots got the chance for freedom, and sadly, (mainly thanks to the old blue rinse brigade hanging on to their pensions - and not to do with any Scot with love of their country or fire in their belly), the answer was NO. :eek::(

No hard in Scotland to get take outs past 10, though in Edinburgh only hours you can't get a beer is 3-5 am(though more usual is 1 for pubd=, London has more fucked opening hours but you can haggle in a happy shopper past 2 in the morning.

Decriminalisation of non commercial cultivation ftw

Agreed. When I moved to London back in the day, I couldn't believe the pubs closing at 11 thing. I'd lived in Edinburgh before that and even in my shit, rural home town you could drink till at least one in a normal pub any night of the week. Cultural difference #34.

who cares about that? Scots got the chance for freedom, and sadly, (mainly thanks to the old blue rinse brigade hanging on to their pensions - and not to do with any Scot with love of their country or fire in their belly), the answer was NO. :eek::(

I ain't got a blue rinse and I voted NO. And I would vote NO again tomorrow. ;)

Agreed. When I moved to London back in the day, I couldn't believe the pubs closing at 11 thing. I'd lived in Edinburgh before that and even in my shit, rural home town you could drink till at least one in a normal pub any night of the week. Cultural difference #34.

But it's different now. English licensing laws seem to be more liberal than Scots, except in the centre of London...

Maybe that explains why when a certain poster refers to people as "sweetie" it sounds like she's spoiling for a punch up...

Anyway, I don't believe that Scottish people, or even the Scottish People, are any more progressive or wonderful than anyone else, and focussing on one or two particular aspects of Scottish life isn't going to produce a coherent argument.

But it's different now. English licensing laws seem to be more liberal than Scots, except in the centre of London...
I wouldn't say relaxing the licensing laws here has had that much effect tbh. Lots of pubs still close at 11. I still think it's better in Scotland than it is here.

I need to be careful of my use of 'oan the swedge' then. I didn't know swedge also meant fighting. :hmm: I might use 'oan the swedge' to mean having a night on pills, where as sounds like it could be taken as going out, looking for a fight.

Back
Top Bottom