Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Criminalising Pregnant Mothers who Drink

No no no no! That is really not my point at all!

But having a baby at the wrong time with very much the wrong person can be damaging for all concerned.

Yes. My argument was it shouldn't be. Women should be given more support AND retain their right over their own bodies. This has given me pages of fucking grief. Only on Urban.

So the decision IS based on external factors?

Wouldn't it have been easier to just acknowledge that point when I first made it instead of pages of hissy fits?
Right, so we have established that a job and way of life are external factors. Not things that people might regard as intrinsic and meaningful.

Yes. My argument was it shouldn't be. .
That's life, baby. We make bad decisions. And some of them end up with abortions.

Even in a just society, this would still happen, as we have to negotiate our own paths through relationships, and we often fuck it up.

Yes. My argument was it shouldn't be. Women should be given more support AND retain their right over their own bodies. This has given me pages of fucking grief. Only on Urban.

Sorry I am not just arguing, I am just a bit confused, but it should't be what?

Right, so we have established that a job and way of life are external factors. Not things that people might regard as intrinsic and meaningful.

I don't know what you mean by 'way of life' (drugs?) but plenty of women work whilst raising children.

So the decision IS based on external factors?

Wouldn't it have been easier to just acknowledge that point when I first made it instead of pages of hissy fits?
Pages of hissy fits? That's the sort of thing some kinds of men say to women when they are trying to tell women that they know better and the women don't agree. Apologies for gendering this debate and mega apologies if I misidentified but it was kind of glaring.

That's life, baby. We make bad decisions. And some of them end up with abortions.

Even in a just society, this would still happen, as we have to negotiate our own paths through relationships, and we often fuck it up.

That's how it happens in the UK, yes. Other countries share childcare burdens across entire families. Here abortion is the answer. Any suggestion of any other model is eroding a woman's choice!!!

Pages of hissy fits? That's the sort of thing some kinds of men say to women when they are trying to tell women that they know better and the women don't agree. Apologies for gendering this debate and mega apologies if I misidentified but it was kind of glaring.

I remain unaware of your gender. Are you female?

That's how it happens in the UK, yes. Other countries share childcare burdens across entire families. Here abortion is the answer. Any suggestion of any other model is eroding a woman's choice!!!
And what freedom of action do women have in such societies?

I'm not particularly championing the western way of doing things here, but be realistic about the alternatives.

And what freedom of action do women have in such societies?

I'm not particularly championing the western way of doing things here, but be realistic about the alternatives.

It keeps me returning to me saying that external factors (society) plays a massive role in a woman's decision. Everyone went bananas about it but now every point being made backs up that assertion. I need to sleep. I have work tomorrow. Today actually,.

You keep saying that if only society were nice and accommodating these silly women would keep their accidental babies?

Didn't see that post. You certainly write as if children don't make any difference to your life.

Of course children make a difference to someone's life. People were denying that society affected a woman's choice in any way regarding abortion. I think we've buried that fallacy several times over now.

Don't reply. I need sleep and you're going on ignore. Quite an undertaking since nobody has been on my ignore list in five or so years.

Why should it ever be 'the wrong time'? That's linked with society and specifically western culture.

So, when I got pregnant when I was 17, with my totally fucked up loser of an ex, that was all down to western culture and.. tbh I don't even know how to finish this.

If I had not had that abortion, I would have had a baby at a time I was totally anti having kids at all!
I would not now be married to an amazing guy who I have a great relationship with.
How is that abortion and my life after all just a product of modern culture and society any more than everything is?

My family would have been really supportive if I had chosen to have that child.
The support available to me had nowt to do with it.

I did not for one moment want to have that child.

Back
Top Bottom