Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

U-Turn on minimum alcohol price

It's a pattern with governments. They put a plaster on it but never get to the root of the problem.

For years now there has been two responses by government to a percieved social problem either ban it or tax it. Neither works.

ok, so when charities make that claim on the OP, are they just incredibly naive?

Super strong beers are probably harder on a person both physically and maybe mentally than either heroin or crack, but raising the price of super strength lager isn't going to stop people from sipping from the black can. Plus, when you look at the price of a can of super, it works out about the same per unit as 5% beer, it's just that people like the "hit" from 9% beer.

Super strong beers are probably harder on a person both physically and maybe mentally than either heroin or crack, but raising the price of super strength lager isn't going to stop people from sipping from the black can. Plus, when you look at the price of a can of super, it works out about the same per unit as 5% beer, it's just that people like the "hit" from 9% beer.

When you consider that some (often cheap) wines are 13%, it makes you wonder whether this is a class thing ;)

edit: although I am aware the price minimum would affect wine too, just wasn't mentioned by the 'charities' quoted.

One of the things they supposedly want to target is 'binge drinking' yet from what I seen of it,it's usually tossers in pubs lining up to hoy lines of shots down their necks that causes the majority of problems in this area.
And restricting the strength of lagers, beer and cider would help,but as, already said, 13% cheap wine is readily available

And restricting the strength of lagers, beer and cider would help,but as, already said, 13% cheap wine is readily available

They could reduce the tax on lower alcohol versions of drinks and increase it on higher alcohol versions. For example, beer would be cheapened if it was below 4% and expensified if it was more than 5%.

yes, raise the prices of heroin and crack cocaine.

poll fail btw
You've got it wrong, they should make crack and brown *cheaper* of course. :rolleyes:

They could reduce the tax on lower alcohol versions of drinks and increase it on higher alcohol versions. For example, beer would be cheapened if it was below 4% and expensified if it was more than 5%.
I think you're forgetting that the poshos in charge generally drink quite strong alcohol compared to beer, even strong beer. And 5% isn't that strong.

Alcoholic drinks are already taxed according to strength.

They could, of course, just leave it the fuck alone and stop exploiting drinkers.

if you could get five tins of ordinary strength lager for a bin lid nothing would even get done. We'd be merrily tanning five cans in a lunch hour and england would fall.

If its binge drinkers they want sorted,arrest them when they get up to their 'harmless fun' such as pissing and vomiting in doorways and gardens, smashing the high st up etc, and the next morning have them scrubbing said high st with toothbrushes

And just leave them who like a drink alone.

if you could get five tins of ordinary strength lager for a bin lid nothing would even get done. We'd be merrily tanning five cans in a lunch hour and england would fall.
except when they dished out a tot of rum a day, we ruled the waves - only got rid of it when parliament was full of people, like me, who have never tried working in a force 5 in the artic. Don't think my Dad ever landed on a carrier entirely sober, but with an attrition rate of almost 38% you needed to take the edge off

When you consider that some (often cheap) wines are 13%, it makes you wonder whether this is a class thing ;)
It is a class thing however, wine is no longer as solely middle/ upper class as it used to be. More people drink wine than they used to do.
edit: although I am aware the price minimum would affect wine too, just wasn't mentioned by the 'charities' quoted.

It might affect some of the 3 for a tenner deals but more often than not even a cheapish bottle of wine is at the £4-£4.50 mark and probably already on the/ above the minimum unit pricing or not far off it.

Here's what I said last time we did this:

Dunno if this point has been made yet but poorer drinkers already subsidise richer drinkers/non-drinkers because of the way duty works.

Say duty on a bottle of wine is 2 quid. So a 6 quid bottle has 3 quid tax on it: 2+3+vat. A 12 quid bottle has 4 quid tax on it: 2+8+vat. So someone buying two 6 quid bottles is paying 2 pounds more in tax than someone buying one 12 quid bottle.

The duty system ensures a regressive tax regime in which the poorest pay the highest percentage in tax.​
Minimum pricing adds an additional layer to this by making people buying cheaper booze pay artificially high margins to the shops.

I always knew my comment on here about prising K Cider from my cold dead hands would force the government into submission :cool: <cracks open a can to celebrate>

Tell you what, I said more or less exactly the same thing about corn beef a couple of years ago - I was at it, all blithe "it'll never happen" bluster - "If Tony Blair's serious about making life on benefits a less attractive option he needs to increase the price of corn beef. " Now look at it, £1.54 a tin. If that sacred cow can be slaughtered, I genuinely fear for the future.

I only learned yesterday that beer prices have gone so high in pubs because of the 'beer escalator tax' introduced by Labour in 2008 means that beer prices are rising at 2% above inflation until 2014/5.

Right there there with the worst things Labour did, that, IMO :mad:

CAMRA are dead set against it
Click that link for more info/links -- including the petition -- please add your name to this!!

And to the (separate) lobby your MP bit (might just be worth adding to the shedloads of hassle they'll be getting on this, ahead of the Budget).

Some of the boys used to drink special red cider @ 99p/litre back in the 90's, what a nasty vile substance that was! I am in favour of a minimum price for the sole reason that drinks companies are against it

Something does have to be done about gangs of drunken young men who terrorise well known English cities;

cameron-bullingdon-club.jpg

Some of the boys used to drink special red cider @ 99p/litre back in the 90's, what a nasty vile substance that was! I am in favour of a minimum price for the sole reason that drinks companies are against it

What about Pulse? Christ that was/is evil stuff.

Back
Top Bottom