Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Mercedes give 'encouraging' update over 2024 F1 car​

Mercedes' trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin has hinted at an “encouraging” update on car the team will field next year. Since the introduction of new regulations last year, Mercedes has consisntely competed off the front-running pace. It has won just a single Grand Prix since the start of last season with Red Bull largely dominating the field. Development of the current car has continued into the latter stages of the season despite large focused being place on its challenger for next year. This included its final major upgrade of the season in the the United States, which included a new floor.

Speaking after the recent Mexico City Grand Prix, Shovlin stated that seeing Mercedes' pace at recent races is a strong indication over the strenghth of the fresh parts. “If we look at the performance in Austin and Mexico, being able to race cars like McLaren and Ferrari effectively, we'd say that the track data is certainly suggesting that we've made a forward step,” said Shovlin. "Bear in mind that all of the top teams have been bringing upgrades to their cars over the last few races, it is crucial that you can match them on development, even better to be able to continue to fight them on track.”

Mercedes encouraged by floor performance
Shovlin stated that Mercedes' new floor in the United States will carry over to next year and has been left encouraged by its performance so far. “The other thing is we collect a lot of data off the car,” he said. “Pressures off the floor, pressures off the wings, loads on the car and all that data is correlating really well with what we're seeing in the wind tunnel. That's crucial for next year because this floor is actually a step in the development direction that we want to take for 2024. So very encouraging signs but a lot of work ahead of us.”

[I think Mercedes still has the best power-unit in F1 and that it is aero that has taken Red Bull to where it is now. I'm not sure that Mercedes can get an extra 8/10th from just their aero by the the start of 2024, but I am hopeful. I'd really love to see how Verstappen reacts to driving the second best car, I think he'd be crying like a 3 year old every race :) ]

Weather warning issued in Sao Paulo ahead of F1 qualifying​

The Sao Paulo region of Brazil has received a code orange weather warning for Friday, the first day of on-track action for the Sao Paulo Grand Prix. Earlier this week it was indicated that Friday may be hit with rain and thunderstorms. With the on-track action just hours away, the situation has not improved and the weekend is set to be disrupted by wet weather. The Instituto Nacional de Meteorologia issued code orange for the region in which Sao Paulo and the Interlagos Circuit are located.

The warning will remain in place until 21:00 local time on Friday, long after the end of qualifying for Sunday's Grand Prix. Should Friday's on-track action be hit with rain, it could add another challenge on top of the F1 Sprint weekend in Brazil. Teams have just one practice session to tune their cars for qualifying and the two races that take place during the weekend.

However, the forecast for Saturday and Sunday is projected to be dry, meaning the 10 outfits may have no dry-weather data heading into the sprint race and the Grand Prix on Sunday.

Felipe Massa sends Lewis Hamilton message over legal battle for lost 2008 F1 championship​

Felipe Massa has told Lewis Hamilton he will have to respond to his claim that the 2008 F1 world title was unfairly "manipulated" away from the former Ferrari driver. Seven-time world champion Hamilton claimed his first championship 15 years ago this week when he snatched fifth place on the final lap at Interlagos in one of the sport's most iconic finishes to a title battle. However, Massa is launching a legal battle to overturn the result based on the Singapore Grand Prix earlier in the season, which the Brazilian led when Nelson Piquet Jr. crashed under team orders to benefit Renault teammate Fernando Alonso.

The incident sparked an investigation which was completed the following year with several punishments dished out to those responsible. But Massa, 42, wants the points won that day cancelled after claiming that FIA bosses knew the race's result, which saw him finish 13th after a bungled pit stop, was a result of the illegal crash. In August, Mercedes' Hamilton brushed off his former rival's claim and insisted: "I’m not focused on what happened 15 years ago."

A number of other drivers refused to comment ahead of this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix but Massa has called for Hamilton to fully address the matter. "Everything that we are doing is not against Lewis," he told PlanetF1. "I mean, I really respect Lewis as a driver for everything that he’s done, he’s one of the best drivers in the history of Formula One. So many records, with many titles. But what I’m doing is against the result of a manipulated race. At the point in the race where the manipulation happened, I was leading, I was first in that race. So it’s nothing against Lewis. I really like Lewis as a driver and he’s doing a lot of things for justice, so many different kinds of justice in the world. I think, one time, he will need to speak and to talk about the situation. I think it’s pretty clear I’m not doing anything against him. I’m doing it against the justice of the sport. When I am at home, and I see my phone after the Bernie Ecclestone interview, after the Charlie Whiting interview in the Max Mosley documentary that he knew at the last race of the season at Interlagos what happened in the Singapore race. After my son knew about it, he asked me: 'You are not doing anything?’. “So I’m doing that for justice. I really believe what I’m doing is correct because this is not acceptable. We’re not talking about a broken engine, or someone pushing me out of the race. We’re not talking about the sporting situation, we’re talking about the manipulation that changed the result.”

Practice Results – 2023 Sao Paulo Grand Prix​

Results (Classification)
  1. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari -1:11.732
  2. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.108
  3. George Russell Mercedes +0.133
  4. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +0.196
  5. Alex Albon Williams Racing +0.312
  6. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.404
  7. Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.452
  8. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +0.749
  9. Logan Sargeant Williams Racing +0.847
  10. Kevin Magnussen Haas +0.860
  11. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.883
  12. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.906
  13. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +0.982
  14. Daniel Ricciardo AlphaTauri +1.046
  15. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.047
  16. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +1.061
  17. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.280
  18. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +1.324
  19. Lando Norris McLaren +1.897
  20. Oscar Piastri McLaren +2.106
[This is not representative as some drivers didn't run the soft tyre at all]

Hulkenberg summoned for bizarre Norris practice incident​

Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg has been summoned to the race stewards after making contact with McLaren's Lando Norris in practice for the São Paulo Grand Prix. The German was coasting on a slow lap when Norris made a move to the inside at Junção with just under half the session remaining. Seemingly unaware of Norris' presence, Hulkenberg turned into the corner, his left front wheel making contact with the right rear of the Briton's car.

Though both drivers escaped from the incident without damage, the stewards have summoned Hulkenberg to explain his actions ahead of the afternoon's qualifying session. Hulkenberg finished fourth in the weekend's only practice hour, having been one of the few drivers to complete Soft tyre running. Norris, on the other hand, was 19th having not switched to the red side-walled tyres.

Edit to add result: The Stewards have opted to take no further action after Nico Hulkenberg and Lando Norris made contact during free practice in Brazil.

Last edited:

São Paulo extends F1 contract until 2030​

On the eve of this weekend's Sao Paulo Grand Prix, Formula One announced that the São Paulo Grand Prix will remain on the F1 calendar until 2030 inclusive following a five-year extension. The Interlagos circuit, officially known as the Autódromo José Carlos Pace after the 1975 race winner, has featured on the Formula 1 schedule for over 50 years. Featuring 15 corners over 4.3kms, the circuit’s design originally took inspiration from racetracks in the UK, the United States and France, but has since had parts of the track, including the famous Senna ‘esses’, replicated at other venues.

With its carnival atmosphere, Interlagos has been the scene for some of the most memorable moments in Formula 1 history including Ayrton Senna’s emotional home victory in 1991, Kimi Räikkönen clinching the World Championship in 2007 and Lewis Hamilton’s enthralling battle with Max Verstappen in 2021. The 2022 Grand Prix welcomed 235,000 fans across a dramatic race weekend as George Russell won both the F1 Sprint and the Grand Prix, taking the top step of the podium for the first time in his F1 career. Kevin Magnussen also secured a shock first Pole Position of his career for the F1 Sprint, as Interlagos again delivered an entertaining weekend of racing action.

The extension of the São Paulo Grand Prix follows recent significant investment by São Paulo Mayor Nunes’ administration, as the city looks to upgrade the Interlagos circuit into a venue suitable for hosting wider entertainment events, including music concerts. In addition, the Grand Prix continues to evolve under the leadership of the promoter MC Brazil Motorsport, backed by Mubadala, who have worked closely with the City of São Paulo to enhance the fan experience and have placed an increased focus on environmental, social and governance initiatives, including the upskilling of 100 women from vulnerable backgrounds to become qualified mechanics, all of whom graduated in a special ceremony at the circuit on Thursday.

President & CEO of Formula 1 Stefano Domenicali commented: “I am delighted to announce we will be staying at Interlagos until 2030, and I can’t wait for many more years of the wonderful atmosphere that the Brazilian fans bring. Brazil has such a rich racing heritage, and this iconic circuit is a favourite of drivers and fans around the world. It embodies everything that is great about racing, and we look forward to seeing how it develops over the years to come to create an even better experience.”

Commenting on the contract extension, Ricardo Nunes, Mayor of São Paulo, said: “The extension of the contract for the Formula 1 Grande Prêmio de São Paulo, broadcasted in approximately 180 countries, solidifies our city as a global leader in hosting major events with economic and social impact, generating jobs, revenue, and opportunities. Each year, we also advance our sustainability agenda, incorporating innovations to overcome challenges and bring more benefits to the city of São Paulo and Brazil.”

Alan Adler, CEO of São Paulo Grand Prix, added: “It is a great honour to have the contract extension that ensures São Paulo's place on the Formula 1 calendar. This is the recognition of the work we have been doing, with the crucial support of the São Paulo City Hall. Continuing to be a partner of Formula 1 is a matter of great pride. Now, we will immediately start planning for the years ahead so that we can have even better Grand Prix editions in the coming years.”

Alfa Romeo F1 boss clarifies Audi exit rumours: 'The commitment is there'

Alessandro Alunni Bravi has responded to rumours suggesting that Audi are prepared to pull the plug on their F1 project for 2026. Audi is set to join the F1 grid in 2026 for the new technical regulations, taking over the existing Sauber (currently named Alfa Romeo) team. However, rumours have surfaced in recent weeks stating that some of the Audi’s senior management are still keen on F1.

Audi have lost Markus Duesmann as CEO in the last year, while VW group CEO Herbet Diess has also left. Both of them were key supporters of the F1 project, meaning their departures led to questions whether Audi would still hold the same commitment. Speaking at this weekend’s Sao Paulo Grand Prix, Bravi who is the Alfa Romeo team representative clarified the speculation.

“Audi has a strong commitment to Formula 1, and of course, together with Sauber. This commitment comes from the decision, not only of the board of Audi, but also the advisory board of Audi and the supervisory board of Audi Volkswagen,” he said. “It’s a group decision and the commitment is there. Why there is a lack of communication is simple. We’re Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake so until the end of the year we have certain limitations in communicating about the team, about the future, about the involvement of Audi and we fully respect Alfa Romeo for this. We don’t want to make any kind of announcement or more than what is strictly related to the race and the championship. The commitment as I said is there. We have two owners, two shareholders, there is a governance in place according to the different stages of the transaction which will be completed ahead of the 2026 season so we’re proceeding with the investment plan in accordance with the governance that has been agreed. We are working hard to develop the structure of the team. We have a strong recruitment plan in place. We have on a weekly basis new appointments. It’s not a matter of involvement from Audi in financing the team or sustaining the development process".

F1 Qualifying Results: Brazilian Grand Prix 2023​

The first two Qualifying sessions are in the books and here are the results:

1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull): 1:10.727

2. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari): +0.294

3. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin): +0.617

4. Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin): +0.660

5. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes): +0.742

6. George Russell (Mercedes): +0.863

7. Lando Norris (McLaren): +1.260

8. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari): +1.262

9. Sergio Perez (Red Bull): +1.594

10. Oscar Piastri (McLaren): No Time Set

Eliminated from Q2

11. Nico Hulkenberg (Haas)

12. Esteban Ocon (Alpine)

13. Pierre Gasly (Alpine)

14. Kevin Magnussen (Haas)

15. Alex Albon (Williams)

Eliminated from Q1

16. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri)

17. Daniel Ricciardo (AlphaTauri)

18. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo)

19. Logan Sargeant (Williams)

20. Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo)

Hulkenberg summoned for bizarre Norris practice incident​

Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg has been summoned to the race stewards after making contact with McLaren's Lando Norris in practice for the São Paulo Grand Prix. The German was coasting on a slow lap when Norris made a move to the inside at Junção with just under half the session remaining. Seemingly unaware of Norris' presence, Hulkenberg turned into the corner, his left front wheel making contact with the right rear of the Briton's car.

Though both drivers escaped from the incident without damage, the stewards have summoned Hulkenberg to explain his actions ahead of the afternoon's qualifying session. Hulkenberg finished fourth in the weekend's only practice hour, having been one of the few drivers to complete Soft tyre running. Norris, on the other hand, was 19th having not switched to the red side-walled tyres.

Edit to add result: The Stewards have opted to take no further action after Nico Hulkenberg and Lando Norris made contact during free practice in Brazil.

São Paulo extends F1 contract until 2030​

On the eve of this weekend's Sao Paulo Grand Prix, Formula One announced that the São Paulo Grand Prix will remain on the F1 calendar until 2030 inclusive following a five-year extension. The Interlagos circuit, officially known as the Autódromo José Carlos Pace after the 1975 race winner, has featured on the Formula 1 schedule for over 50 years. Featuring 15 corners over 4.3kms, the circuit’s design originally took inspiration from racetracks in the UK, the United States and France, but has since had parts of the track, including the famous Senna ‘esses’, replicated at other venues.

With its carnival atmosphere, Interlagos has been the scene for some of the most memorable moments in Formula 1 history including Ayrton Senna’s emotional home victory in 1991, Kimi Räikkönen clinching the World Championship in 2007 and Lewis Hamilton’s enthralling battle with Max Verstappen in 2021. The 2022 Grand Prix welcomed 235,000 fans across a dramatic race weekend as George Russell won both the F1 Sprint and the Grand Prix, taking the top step of the podium for the first time in his F1 career. Kevin Magnussen also secured a shock first Pole Position of his career for the F1 Sprint, as Interlagos again delivered an entertaining weekend of racing action.

The extension of the São Paulo Grand Prix follows recent significant investment by São Paulo Mayor Nunes’ administration, as the city looks to upgrade the Interlagos circuit into a venue suitable for hosting wider entertainment events, including music concerts. In addition, the Grand Prix continues to evolve under the leadership of the promoter MC Brazil Motorsport, backed by Mubadala, who have worked closely with the City of São Paulo to enhance the fan experience and have placed an increased focus on environmental, social and governance initiatives, including the upskilling of 100 women from vulnerable backgrounds to become qualified mechanics, all of whom graduated in a special ceremony at the circuit on Thursday.

President & CEO of Formula 1 Stefano Domenicali commented: “I am delighted to announce we will be staying at Interlagos until 2030, and I can’t wait for many more years of the wonderful atmosphere that the Brazilian fans bring. Brazil has such a rich racing heritage, and this iconic circuit is a favourite of drivers and fans around the world. It embodies everything that is great about racing, and we look forward to seeing how it develops over the years to come to create an even better experience.”

Commenting on the contract extension, Ricardo Nunes, Mayor of São Paulo, said: “The extension of the contract for the Formula 1 Grande Prêmio de São Paulo, broadcasted in approximately 180 countries, solidifies our city as a global leader in hosting major events with economic and social impact, generating jobs, revenue, and opportunities. Each year, we also advance our sustainability agenda, incorporating innovations to overcome challenges and bring more benefits to the city of São Paulo and Brazil.”

Alan Adler, CEO of São Paulo Grand Prix, added: “It is a great honour to have the contract extension that ensures São Paulo's place on the Formula 1 calendar. This is the recognition of the work we have been doing, with the crucial support of the São Paulo City Hall. Continuing to be a partner of Formula 1 is a matter of great pride. Now, we will immediately start planning for the years ahead so that we can have even better Grand Prix editions in the coming years.”

Alfa Romeo F1 boss clarifies Audi exit rumours: 'The commitment is there'

Alessandro Alunni Bravi has responded to rumours suggesting that Audi are prepared to pull the plug on their F1 project for 2026. Audi is set to join the F1 grid in 2026 for the new technical regulations, taking over the existing Sauber (currently named Alfa Romeo) team. However, rumours have surfaced in recent weeks stating that some of the Audi’s senior management are still keen on F1.

Audi have lost Markus Duesmann as CEO in the last year, while VW group CEO Herbet Diess has also left. Both of them were key supporters of the F1 project, meaning their departures led to questions whether Audi would still hold the same commitment. Speaking at this weekend’s Sao Paulo Grand Prix, Bravi who is the Alfa Romeo team representative clarified the speculation.

“Audi has a strong commitment to Formula 1, and of course, together with Sauber. This commitment comes from the decision, not only of the board of Audi, but also the advisory board of Audi and the supervisory board of Audi Volkswagen,” he said. “It’s a group decision and the commitment is there. Why there is a lack of communication is simple. We’re Alfa Romeo F1 Team Stake so until the end of the year we have certain limitations in communicating about the team, about the future, about the involvement of Audi and we fully respect Alfa Romeo for this. We don’t want to make any kind of announcement or more than what is strictly related to the race and the championship. The commitment as I said is there. We have two owners, two shareholders, there is a governance in place according to the different stages of the transaction which will be completed ahead of the 2026 season so we’re proceeding with the investment plan in accordance with the governance that has been agreed. We are working hard to develop the structure of the team. We have a strong recruitment plan in place. We have on a weekly basis new appointments. It’s not a matter of involvement from Audi in financing the team or sustaining the development process".

F1 Qualifying Results: Brazilian Grand Prix 2023​

The first two Qualifying sessions are in the books and here are the results:

1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull): 1:10.727

2. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari): +0.294

3. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin): +0.617

4. Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin): +0.660

5. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes): +0.742

6. George Russell (Mercedes): +0.863

7. Lando Norris (McLaren): +1.260

8. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari): +1.262

9. Sergio Perez (Red Bull): +1.594

10. Oscar Piastri (McLaren): No Time Set

Eliminated from Q2

11. Nico Hulkenberg (Haas)

12. Esteban Ocon (Alpine)

13. Pierre Gasly (Alpine)

14. Kevin Magnussen (Haas)

15. Alex Albon (Williams)

Eliminated from Q1

16. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri)

17. Daniel Ricciardo (AlphaTauri)

18. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo)

19. Logan Sargeant (Williams)

20. Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo)

Obrigado! :D

Sao Paulo Grand Prix: FINAL grid after ALL driver penalties​

Post-qualifying there were grid penalties handed down to Mercedes’ George Russell and Alpine duo Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly for ‘impeding’ other cars during the session.

Front row
Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull)
Charles Leclerc (MON/Ferrari)

2nd row
Lance Stroll (CAN/Aston Martin)
Fernando Alonso (ESP/Aston Martin)

3rd row
Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes)
Lando Norris (GBR/McLaren)

4th row
Carlos Sainz (ESP/Ferrari)
George Russell (GBR/Mercedes)

5th row
Sergio Perez (MEX/Red Bull)
Oscar Piastri (AUS/McLaren)

6th row
Nico Hulkenberg (GER/Haas)
Kevin Magnussen (DEN/Haas)

7th row
Alex Albon (THA/Williams)
Esteban Ocon (FRA/Alpine)

8th row
Pierre Gasly (FRA/Alpine)
Yuki Tsunoda (JPN/AlphaTauri)

9th row
Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/AlphaTauri)
Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Alfa Romeo)

10th row
Logan Sargeant (USA/Williams)
Zhou Guanyu (CHN/Alfa Romeo)

FINAL grid after
  • initial driver penalties
  • first team appeals
  • provisional appealed penalties
  • second team appeals
  • final driver penalties
  • special driver appeal*
  • viewers' penalty vote

*ie. Marko

Toto Wolff sets the record straight on big Mercedes staff departure​

Mike Elliott’s departure from Mercedes had no “correlation” to the team’s decision to scrap their zero-pod concept, insists Toto Wolff. Mercedes announced the shock departure of Elliott on Tuesday, the Briton leaving the team just months after he swapped positions with James Allison to move the role of technical director to chief technical officer. Elliott stated in the press release that he had “decided that now is the right time to make my next step beyond Mercedes – first to pause and take stock, after 23 years of working flat-out in this sport, and then to find my next challenge.”

Did Mike Elliott pay the price for Mercedes’ flawed zero-pod concept?
However, almost immediately it was suggested that his departure was the result of Mercedes’ failed zero-pod concept. As Mercedes designed their first ground-effect aerodynamic car, the 2022 W13, it was Elliott as the technical director who led the team that came up with the zero-pod philosophy. Despite only winning a single Grand Prix with it, Mercedes persisted with the design into this year’s championship before eventually making the call to scrap it in favour of a more conventional sidepod design.

As such it has been suggested Elliott paid the price for Mercedes’ troubles. “No, Mike was my number one employee for many, many years in terms of how he performed,” Wolff insisted to Sky Sports. “We are going to miss one of the most clever people in the industry. It was just a hard toll on him over those many years and I find it very remarkable that somebody can say, ‘You know what, I need to do something else’. If somebody is strong and say, ‘I’m done with it for the time being’, that’s good. [Car design] is never the decision of a single person. I think we as a group are trying to build the quickest racecar and obviously we were so far down the route with that concept of a car that we thought maybe we got on top of it. We didn’t. That’s why we changed it. And we put lots of plasters on the car in order to be more competitive, like we see now, but that hasn’t got any correlation.”

Wolff also denied Elliott’s departure could have a negative impact on the design of next season’s W15, the team boss adamant it’s a group effort. “It’s no single person’s fault if a car doesn’t perform, it’s also not one single person that makes the car faster,” he said. “We have such strengths in the organisation that you can take one out and everybody else is going to cover that and the other way around, so I don’t think that’s going to change anything for next year.”

2023 Brazilian Grand Prix sprint race grid​

Row 11. (4) Lando Norris 1’10.727
McLaren-Mercedes MCL60
2. (1) Max Verstappen 1’11.021
Red Bull-Honda RBPT RB19
Row 23. (11) Sergio Perez 1’11.344
Red Bull-Honda RBPT RB19
4. (63) George Russell 1’11.387
Mercedes W14
Row 35. (44) Lewis Hamilton 1’11.469
Mercedes W14
6. (22) Yuki Tsunoda 1’11.987
AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT AT04
Row 47. (16) Charles Leclerc 1’11.989
Ferrari SF-23
8. (3) Daniel Ricciardo 1’11.590
AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT AT04
Row 59. (55) Carlos Sainz Jnr 1’12.321
Ferrari SF-23
10. (81) Oscar Piastri No time
McLaren-Mercedes MCL60
Row 611. (20) Kevin Magnussen 1’10.547
Haas-Ferrari VF-23
12. (27) Nico Hulkenberg 1’10.723
Haas-Ferrari VF-23
Row 713. (10) Pierre Gasly 1’10.840
Alpine-Renault A523
14. (77) Valtteri Bottas 1’10.562
Alfa Romeo-Ferrari C43
Row 815. (14) Fernando Alonso 1’10.567
Aston Martin-Mercedes AMR23
16. (31) Esteban Ocon 1’10.837
Alpine-Renault A523
Row 917. (18) Lance Stroll 1’10.843
Aston Martin-Mercedes AMR23
18. (24) Zhou Guanyu 1’10.955
Alfa Romeo-Ferrari C43
Row 1019. (23) Alexander Albon 1’11.035
Williams-Mercedes FW45
20. (2) Logan Sargeant 1’11.275
Williams-Mercedes FW45

Reactions: Ax^

BREAKING: Haas lodge protest of United States Grand Prix results​

This protest from the American outfit has come almost two weeks following the conclusion of the race. Both drivers failed to score points for the team, but they will be hoping that at least one driver ahead of Nico Hulkenberg will receive a belated time penalty, as the German crossed the finish line in 11th. Speaking to reporters, a representative of Haas F1 has confirmed that the team has lodged a “right of review request” regarding track limits infringements not being correctly applied to drivers over the course of the 56-lap event.

While full details of the protest have yet to be revealed, it is safe to assume that the point of contention surrounds multiple drivers cutting the corner at Turn 6. McLaren’s Lando Norris admitted to taking liberties at the same corner to the media after the race. He said: “I did it as well, to be honest. I knew it was a corner they couldn’t penalise me because they set the precedent in previous tracks of ‘if you can’t visually see it, you’re going to get away with it’. You have to know the grey areas and the things you can get away with and that was one of them. So to everyone that did to it, fair play.”

However, this comment could very well come back to bite the Briton, who claimed an impressive podium behind race winner Max Verstappen. Both Lewis Hamilton and Charles Leclerc were disqualified from the race for a breach of the technical regulations.

Haas clawing for points in a subpar season

Along with Norris’ “confession”, Haas will most likely provide video evidence of other cars cutting the sweeping Turn 6 in their protest. The video footage may come primarily from the onboard cameras of Hulkenberg and Magnussen, as there was no track cameras in the correct position to show whether the rear tyres were over the line or not at Turn 6. Haas currently sit last in the Constructors’ Standings on 12 points, albeit just four behind both Alfa Romeo and AlphaTauri. They haven’t scored in the last three rounds, while Magnussen endured a frightening crash during the Mexico City Grand Prix.

Where each team ends up at the end of the campaign has a significant bearing on prize money; depending on the revenue F1 makes this year it can be between $10-15 million per position in the Championship. This will be crucial as Haas look to improve their relative performance for the 2024 season. Hulkenberg and Magnussen line up 11th and 12th respectively for the upcoming Brazilian Grand Prix.

Sprint Results – 2023 Sao Paulo​

Results (Classification):
  1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing -24 laps
  2. Lando Norris McLaren +4.287
  3. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +13.617
  4. George Russell Mercedes +25.879
  5. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +28.560
  6. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +29.210
  7. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +34.726
  8. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +35.106
  9. Daniel Ricciardo AlphaTauri +35.303
  10. Oscar Piastri McLaren +38.219