Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Anthem watch:

Dignified. Dreary. Appropriate.

And well-suited to an early-morning rendition for mildly-hungover listeners.

8/10

Well done RB, quite a season. Checo FFS.

Not sure what Merc could have done really, Sainz was going to have Russel one way or the other, best to get Lewis out of there I reckon.

And YAY MCLAREN!

Lawson reveals BLUNT Marko response to points-winning race as he outdrives Tsunoda AGAIN

AlphaTauri driver Liam Lawson has revealed that Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko provided him with a small amount of praise after his brilliant drive at the Singapore Grand Prix. The New Zealander managed to finish ninth at the Marina Bay circuit, scoring his first points in Formula 1. It comes as the young driver drove another strong race at the recent Japanese Grand Prix, beating fellow AlphaTauri driver Yuki Tsunoda.

While Lawson just missed out on points, taking P11, his continued strength against Tsunoda is sure to be noted by team bosses and other teams on the grid. He has been mightily impressive since stepping in for Daniel Ricciardo at the Dutch GP after the Australian broke his hand in FP2, and has not finished lower than 13th in the four races he has taken part in. At just 21, he has now managed to score almost half of AlphaTauri's points tally for the whole season, and has so far outperformed team-mate Yuki Tsunoda at every race he has competed in.

Despite this, the team have opted to go with the more experienced pair of Ricciardo and Tsunoda for 2024, meaning Lawson will have to settle for a reserve driver spot. Now, Lawson has revealed that Marko didn't give too much away when congratulating him for his drive at the Singapore GP. When asked, "What did Marko say to you after the race?" during an interview with Viaplay, Lawson responded: "'Good job,' pretty much [that's it]. I think anything positive is good when you get it from Helmut Marko, so I was happy with that."

Lawson is Tsunoda's third team-mate of the season, after Ricciardo himself replaced Nyck de Vries back in July. Ricciardo's unfortunate injury represented an opportunity to Lawson, and he has taken it with both hands. He will feel slightly let down by the fact that his performances still haven't been good enough to replace either Tsunoda and Ricciardo, who have both been largely underwhelming in the short time they have spent together as team-mates.

Asked before the contract announcement whether he would look at other teams if he wasn't given a seat on the 2024 grid, he said: "Honestly, I have no idea. "I think I've been part of the Red Bull family for five years, nearly, so that's who I'm sort of on track to join with, but I'm focusing on what I'm doing right now, and that'll come afterwards."

Lewis Hamilton breaks silence on George Russell tensions​

George Russell has tried to play down his and Lewis Hamilton’s battles on Sunday at the Japanese Grand Prix, where the pair came close to colliding. The Mercedes duo were close together throughout the race at Suzuka, having both started on the fourth row. Their first duel came in the opening laps, when Russell dived up the inside of Hamilton at the chicane in the final sector. It was a great move by the King’s Lynn-born driver, although Hamilton overtook him into Turn 1 thanks to a helping of DRS. The pair then settled into the race, before Hamilton ran wide at Turn 9 which allowed Russell to attack again.

Hamilton and Russell were alongside each other through the long Turn 12, before the seven-time World Champion forced them both wide at Turn 14. Russell was quick to complain, but the FIA didn’t see anything wrong with what happened, given that Hamilton had the position. The pair then crossed paths again in the closing stages of the race, as Hamilton – who was on a two-stop strategy – caught a struggling Russell. Russell was trying to make a one-stop strategy work, something which saw him lose several places late on.

Hamilton was quicker than Russell but struggled to find a way past his team-mate, allowing Carlos Sainz behind to catch up. Mercedes eventually made the two drivers swap positions, allowing Hamilton to escape into clean air. Russell, on the other hand, tumbled to seventh after being overtaken by Sainz. Seventh was the best he could really have asked for on his strategy, with Russell making sure to “take the positives” from the race.

“I view that as good hard racing, the fact that we were in a position to be put him under pressure and make the moves on him, I was happy with,” Russell told media when discussing his battles with Hamilton. “So I’ll take the positives. The pace of the car on my side was, I thought, really strong considering how difficult the car was to drive this weekend. It’s just hard, fair racing. Of course, we lost a bit of overall time fighting one another and you are a bit frustrated on the radio. That’s just part of racing.”

Mercedes letting Hamilton past Russell in the closing stages was slightly controversial, as Russell wanted to continue giving his team-mate DRS to protect him. When asked about the incident, Russell simply noted that the team have “bigger fish to fry”. “There’s nothing to discuss, we’ve got bigger fish to fry which is how to make our car go quicker,” he said. “Both of us lost time to the cars around us. We’re not going to give up position easily to one another.”

Back
Top Bottom