Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

The F1 qualifying rule the FIA has reintroduced at the Japanese Grand Prix​

FIA race director Niels Wittich has reimplemented the maximum time limit rule for all laps in qualifying ahead of the F1 Japanese Grand Prix. F1 drivers were told ahead of qualifying at the Italian Grand Prix that they would have to maintain a maximum delta time for all of their laps to prevent potentially dangerous slow-lap queuing. The rule was not used during last weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix, where bunching up was an issue at the end of Q1 in the final sector of the lap at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

Several drivers including Max Verstappen were investigated for alleged impeding during the session but no penalties were issued, prompting Lando Norris to call on F1 to take a tougher stance on impeding. Ahead of this weekend’s race at Suzuka, Wittich wrote in his event notes: “For the safe and orderly conduct of the event, other than in exceptional circumstances accepted as such by the stewards, any driver that exceeds the maximum time from the second Safety Car line to the first Safety Car line on ANY lap during and after the end of the qualifying session, including in-laps and out-laps, may be deemed to be going unnecessarily slowly.”

Ferrari pair Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz were investigated for alleged rule breaches in qualifying at Monza but both escaped penalties. The FIA clarified that drivers “may” avoid sanctions in “exceptional circumstances” should they be able to present an acceptable explanation for their actions.

so if you name is max you will avoid sanctions :hmm:

Last edited:

FP1 timings from Japanese Grand Prix practice​

FP1 times

1 Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull Racing 1:31.647
2 Carlos SAINZ Ferrari +0.626
3 Lando NORRIS McLaren +0.745
4 Charles LECLERC Ferrari +0.927
5 Yuki TSUNODA AlphaTauri +0.950
6 Fernando ALONSO Aston Martin +1.003
7 Oscar PIASTRI McLaren +1.066
8 Alexander ALBON Williams +1.344
9 Liam LAWSON AlphaTauri +1.358
10 Lance STROLL Aston Martin +1.393
11 Sergio PEREZ Red Bull Racing +1.396
12 Pierre GASLY Alpine +1.482
13 George RUSSELL Mercedes +1.663
14 Nico HULKENBERG Haas F1 Team +1.801
15 Esteban OCON Alpine +1.869
16 Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes +2.052
17 Valtteri BOTTAS Alfa Romeo +2.213
18 Kevin MAGNUSSEN Haas F1 Team +2.328
19 Logan SARGEANT Williams +2.565
20 Guanyu ZHOU Alfa Romeo +3.184

FP2 Japanese Grand Prix​

Japanese Grand Prix - Free Practice 2 results​

PosDriverTeamTimeGapLaps
1Max VerstappenRed Bull1:30.688s19
2Charles LeclercFerrari1:31.008s+ 0.320s23
3Lando NorrisMcLaren1:31.152s+ 0.464s22
4Carlos SainzFerrari1:31.237s+ 0.549s22
5George RussellMercedes1:31.328s+ 0.640s22
6Fernando AlonsoAston Martin1:31.492s+ 0.804s22
7Alexander AlbonWilliams1:31.555s+ 0.867s23
8Oscar PiastriMcLaren1:31.662s+ 0.974s22
9Sergio PérezRed Bull1:31.710s+ 1.022s24
10Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo1:31.739s+ 1.051s22
11Lance StrollAston Martin1:31.771s+ 1.083s22
12Esteban OconAlpine1:31.794s+ 1.106s22
13Nico HülkenbergHaas1:31.797s+ 1.109s24
14Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:31.829s+ 1.141s21
15Liam LawsonAlphaTauri1:32.141s+ 1.453s23
16Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo1:32.165s+ 1.477s16
17Kevin MagnussenHaas1:32.169s+ 1.481s23
18Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri1:32.178s+ 1.490s26
19Pierre GaslyAlpine1:32.179s+ 1.491s22
20Logan SargeantWilliams1:32.320s+ 1.632s25

F1 2023 Japanese GP – Practice 3 results​

PosDriverTeamTime
1Max VerstappenRed Bull1:30.267
2Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.240
3Oscar PiastriMcLaren+0.288
4Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.737
5Charles LeclercFerrari+0.755
6Carlos SainzFerrari+0.870
7Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.892
8George RussellMercedes+1.238
9Fernando AlonsoAston Martin+1.282
10Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+1.401
11Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+1.432
12Kevin MagnussenHaas+1.613
13Esteban OconAlpine+1.657
14Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.684
15Nico HulkenbergHaas+1.712
16Logan SargeantWilliams+1.735
17Liam LawsonAlphaTauri+1.781
18Alexander AlbonWilliams+1.846
19Lance StrollAston Martin+1.887
20Pierre GaslyAlpine+1.932

FIA reportedly set to reject three F1 entry applications​

The FIA is reportedly set to reject the F1 applications of three prospective entries from the four 'Expression of Interest' that it has received, with Andretti Global the only entity expected to be given a green light by the governing body. According to German website Motorsport-Total, the applications from the highly accomplished feeder series teams Hitech and Rodin Carlin, as well as from the Asian startup outfit LKYSUNZ, have all been dismissed.

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has publicly backed Andretti's efforts to enter Formula 1, arguing that's its affiliation with General Motors through the latter's Cadillac brand warrants an entry into Grand Prix racing. It is believed that all potential entrants have been notified by the FIA of their status before an official communication by the governing body. If Andretti's entry is confirmed, it will then be submitted to F1 which will have the last word on the team's acceptance into its ranks. But F1 CEO Stefano Domenciali has repeatedly said that he sees no necessity to add an 11th team to the sport's current field of contenders, given that this would only dilute the all-important prize money fund shared by the teams.

Andretti would be required to pay a $200 million anti-dilution fee for the privilege of competing among motorsport's elite, but despite the pay-in a majority of F1 teams remain opposed to the idea of expanding the grid. On Friday, Asian candidate LKYSUNZ claimed that it would be prepared to pay a dilution fee of $600 million, thanks to a significant investment by a US-based investor. But given that the FIA's deadline for potential entrants to submit their proposal has come and gone, LKYSUNZ upgraded offer was likely considered as dead on arrival by the FIA. “We are still in dialogue with the FIA," said the team's CEO Benjamin Durand. "But I can’t go into details at the moment because we are bound by an NDA which we respect."

AlphaTauri confirm Ricciardo and Tsunoda for 2024​

With speculation rife thanks to Liam Lawson’s impressive work as he stands in for the injured Ricciardo, AlphaTauri have now put an end to that to that and confirmed seats for Ricciardo and Tsunoda while Lawson, who took the team’s best result of the season with a P9 in Singapore, will remain as reserve driver. "Next year, the technical regulations remain largely unchanged,” AlphaTauri’s Team Principal, Franz Tost, said “and it was therefore logical to go for continuity in our driver line-up too. I am very pleased with the development that Yuki has shown over the last two and a half years with our team and with Daniel’s great race-winning experience we will have one of the most competitive driver pairings on the grid in 2024. Peter [Bayer, CEO] and Laurent [Mekies, Team Principal from 2024] will have a great duo to start the new season in the right direction. As for Liam, who has impressed everyone in his races so far, he will definitely help the team in his development role as a third driver, and I’m sure he will have a future in Formula One soon.”

Tsunoda has been with the team since 2021 and the team praised his “undoubtful natural talent“ and “ability to integrate into the team” as well as how he has “matured into a fierce racer”. The driver himself was delighted to be sharing the news at his home circuit, saying: “I’m so happy to announce that I will be staying with Scuderia AlphaTauri for the 2024 Formula 1 season. I’m looking forward to continuing to fight and collaborate with the team and Daniel,” Tsunoda continued. “Obviously, I’ll push as much as possible for the rest of the season and beyond, to progress as a driver. I’m grateful for Red Bull and Honda, for continuing to support and believe in me, and very happy and thankful to continue the partnership.”

Ricciardo meanwhile is still healing from his crash in Zandvoort, which broke his wrist, and there’s currently no rush to get him back in the car before he’s fully recovered. The Australian came in as a mid-season replacement for Nyck de Vries when the team weren’t overly happy with the progress the Dutch driver had made. Ricciardo drove in the Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix before his crash on Friday in the Netherlands saw him unable to compete and Lawson drafted in.

“I’m stoked to be driving with Yuki again next year,” Ricciardo said, “and continuing the journey with Scuderia AlphaTauri. Following the progress we have already made and the plans for the future, it’s an exciting time for the Team. We are building and it is a great feeling. There is a lot of work to do, but we are heading in the right direction and there is a lot to look forward to. Bring on 2024!”

Qualifying results​

1. Max Verstappen (1), Red Bull-Honda RBPT
  2. Oscar Piastri (81), McLaren-Mercedes
  3. Lando Norris (4), McLaren-Mercedes
  4. Charles Leclerc (16), Ferrari
  5. Sergio Perez (11), Red Bull-Honda RBPT
  6. Carlos Sainz (55), Ferrari
  7. Lewis Hamilton (44), Mercedes
  8. George Russell (63), Mercedes
  9. Yuki Tsunoda (22), AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT
  10. Fernando Alonso (14), Aston Martin-Mercedes
  11. Liam Lawson (40), AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT
  12. Pierre Gasly (10), Alpine-Renault
  13. Alexander Albon (23), Williams-Mercedes
  14. Esteban Ocon (31), Alpine-Renault
  15. Kevin Magnussen (20), Haas-Ferrari
  16. Valtteri Bottas (77), Alfa Romeo-Ferrari
  17. Lance Stroll (18), Aston Martin-Mercedes
  18. Nico Hülkenberg, (27), Haas-Ferrari
  19. Zhou Guanyu (24), Alfa Romeo-Ferrari
  20. Logan Sargeant (2), Williams-Mercedes

give Mick the seat he cost about the same in crash damage :hmm:

or nick Lawson seeming as they have already got the red bull guys number in the phone book :)

without wishing to step on Limejuice s toes here are the replay times for tomorrow.

Although tread carefully as I turned on what was supposed to be Qually replay only to find the end of Teds notebook who promptly told me the result. :mad:

IMG_1626.png

I'll try to watch the race live.

:thumbs:

I'm hoping the telly director makes it worthwhile getting up, and shows the best action up and down the field.

I don't think the front end will offer any thrills.

hmm with ireland vs south africa in about 25 minutes the idea of me getting up early enough or staying up late enough for the start
is unlikely :D
I'm going to watch both rugby and F1 live.

Where there's a will...

Plus I have a fuck-tonne of beer and snacks, and a decent stash of Irish whiskey, in the event of a win.

Plus aspirin.

:)

The race starts at 6am in the UK doesn't it? That's not early. We are up at 5am most days as that is about when the sun rises. Tomorrow it rises at 5.08am and that is about the time we'll be going to bed, as we'll stay up to watch the race that starts at 2am here, so we'll leave the bar around 12.30 to catch the warm up.

Qualifying was at 3am here, so 7am UK and I think only Limejuice was up to watch it. It seems the F1 section of this board is full of bed lovers :);):p:D:facepalm::thumbs:

I'm going to watch both rugby and F1 live.

Where there's a will...

Plus I have a fuck-tonne of beer and snacks, and a decent stash of Irish whiskey, in the event of a win.

Plus aspirin.

:)

if I had any drug aside from weed I could make it

plus done a 65 hour week

the body is willing but the flesh is weak :facepalm:

plus I'm suppose to be buy a car tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom