Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

The 480 thousand crowd number is really annoying, if you don't know then they count the numbers coming through the gates each day and add it up. It's 160 thousand people x 3 days

Eddie Irvine being referred to as British was annoying me. It's complicated.

Nationality[edit]​

By virtue of being from Northern Ireland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom, Irvine was a British citizen throughout his career.[106] He also held a racing licence issued by the National Sporting Authority of the Republic of Ireland (drivers are not compelled to obtain their licence from their home country).[107] The FIA's International Sporting Regulations state that drivers competing in FIA World Championships shall compete under the nationality of their passport, rather than that of the National Sporting Authority that issued their racing licence, as is the case in other racing series.[108] Relating to Irvine's nationality, the FIA repeatedly mistakenly issued official entry lists that claimed Irvine was competing under the Irish nationality (e.g. entry list for the 1995 and 1996 season).[109][110]

This situation created some confusion as to Irvine's nationality when he appeared at podium ceremonies in the Formula One World Championship. On several occasions (e.g. the 1995 Canadian Grand Prix, 1996 Australian Grand Prix, 1997 Argentine Grand Prix and 1997 Monaco Grand Prix), an Irish Tricolour was mistakenly flown by the race organisers.[citation needed] After the 1997 Argentine Grand Prix his family received threatening phone calls. Irvine then requested that at subsequent races, a politically neutral shamrock flag be flown, and the non-sectarian Londonderry Air be played to mark a victory.[107]

Irvine has self-identified as being Irish:

But at the end of the day, I'm Irish. I mean, I've got a British passport, but if you're from Ireland, north or south, you're Irish. And 'British' is. . . such a nondescript thing, isn't it?
— 1995 interview.[111]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom