13Alexander AlbonWilliams+ 52.848s1
14Kevin MagnussenHaas+ 56.593s1
15Pierre GaslyAlpine+ 57.652s1
16Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+ 64.822s1
17Nyck de VriesAlphaTauri+ 65.617s1
18Logan SargeantWilliams+ 66.059s1
19Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+ 70.825s1
20Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+ 76.435s1

That was a great little race, helped by the weather of course. How does Max continue to get away with his signature move of diving up the inside then pushing the driver outside of him off the track? The FIA let him do it without penalty on Lewis repeatedly in 2021 and now he’s put his teammate from the lead into third with the same dirty driving.

Steiner lashes out at FIA over Verstappen FAVOURITISM​

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has lashed out at "inconsistent" decision making from the Formula 1 stewards, after Max Verstappen avoided punishment for allegedly impeding Kevin Magnussen during qualifying. The two-time world champion was summoned to the stewards on Friday evening to have his say after he was accused of impeding a flying lap from Magnussen during the first part of qualifying. The Dutchman eventually avoided any punishment for the incident, with the stewards stating that Magnussen "did not have to take significant evasive action".

Yet Steiner was adamant that should a Haas car have been the one accused of impeding in the same scenario, the stewards would not have been so lenient. “They’re inconsistent," he told Sky Italy. "Max didn’t do it on purpose, but the rules are the same for everyone. When I heard that they checked the audio of the sound of the engine and assumed Kevin didn’t slow down, and they concluded that Max didn’t do anything, I was confused because it was not true. They’re so inconsistent with their decisions depending on who’s deciding. If the situation had been reversed, we would’ve got a penalty. I’m almost sure about this.

"The driver of Car 1 [Verstappen] stated that he saw a car approaching after he crossed the line at the end of his push lap and moved to the left of the track after the exit of Turn 1," the FIA statement read. "The driver of Car 20 stated that he had to move to the right to avoid Car 1 and hence lost time on his fast lap. The Stewards determined from the video (and audio) evidence that Car 20 had clipped the kerb in Turn 1 and that this subsequently caused a slight change in acceleration which in turn resulted in a slightly slower time on the next mini sectors. The Stewards further determined that Car 20 did not have to take significant evasive action."

just watching c4 highlights

can we pay someone to come extract david coltards tongue from Max's appendix

max push checo towards the wall off the lime

checo returns the favour in turn 1

max fuck checo off to vienna in turn 3

well its payback for checo for his for his antics in turn 1

:hmm:

just watching c4 highlights

can we pay someone to come extract david coltards tongue from Max's appendix

max push checo towards the wall off the lime

checo returns the favour in turn 1

max fuck checo off to vienna in turn 3

well its payback for checo for his for his antics in turn 1

:hmm:
Was it the same commentary as in this highlights clip on the F1 YouTube channel?

he calls it payback for checo’s move on the straight after turn 1, which put max two wheels on the grass and stopped him passing. I reckon he got that right.

EDIT if there’s an error message on that clip, just press the “watch on YouTube“ link. I don’t know why F1 videos often don’t embed properly on here.

Strategy guide for the Austrian Grand Prix​

Following the sole practice session on Friday, Pirelli’s data suggests that drivers will pursue a two-stop strategy today. Teams have familiar compounds to work with at the Red Bull Ring as Pirelli provided them with the three softest compounds in their range. The C3 compound has served as the P Zero White hard, C4 as the P Zero Yellow medium and C5 as the P Zero Red soft at the Austrian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull Ring has only 10 corners, with the shortest lap time of any track on the championship. In terms of elevation changes, the Red Bull Ring stands out with only Spa-Francorchamps featuring greater elevation. There’s a change of more than 60 metres between the lowest point on the track – just before Turn 1 – and the highest point, after Turn 2.

The asphalt has a fairly high micro and macro roughness while grip is high at the start of the lap. Lateral forces, braking and the overall tyre stress are all moderate which prompted Pirelli to bring the trio of three softest compounds. The Milan-based outfit set the minimum starting pressure of 23.0 psi for the fronts and 20.0 psi for the rears while the camber limit will be -3.25° for the fronts and -1.75° for the rears.

In terms of strategy, the recent Austrian Grands Prix have seen drivers complete the 71-lap Spielberg race with two stops. It was not different last year when most drivers made two stops, starting on the medium ahead of two stints on the hard. With the weather set to remain dry throughout the 71-lap race, the Milan-based tyre supplier thinks that the fastest projected strategy for today’s Austrian Grand Prix will be a two-stopper.

There are two variations for a two-stopper. The faster option prompts drivers start on the medium compound before switching to the hards between Lap 18 and 24. After a longer stint on the white-walled tyres, drivers should switch back to the medium compound for a 20-lap stint. The other two-stop strategy would see drivers start on the same C4 medium compound, but rack up fewer lap before two stints on the C3 hard rubber.

The available tyres could be decisive when deciding about the final strategy. Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez, Charles Leclerc, Carlos Sainz, George Russell and Lewis Hamilton have all at least two new sets of yellow-banded tyres, but they have only one set of fresh hards which could drive them towards the medium-hard-medium variation.

A one-stop strategy is also viable, but it would force drivers to look after their starting medium tyres before swap them to the hard compound for a long stint.

I was speaking to friends in Las Vegas last night and they were saying "this F1 bullshit has really fuck up the place, you can't drive anywhere because of the road works and now F1 has asked for $40 million from the local government"

Sounds like F1 asking for money so I looked it up:

beer related laptop incident :hmm:
No, alas.

I managed to carry my laptop into the room with the telly, but failed to include a battery in the package.

On trying to start it, it bitched about being shut off precipitously, and gave me the option to restart normally or to repair itself.

I chose not wisely, in the sense I failed to read the options, and so hit the wrong button. The repair option is not quick.

But I like the suggestion. In fact I'm going to crack a tin now.

:p

So it seems they applied yet more track limit penalties after the race was over, rejigging the finishing order.
What an utterly ridiculous race.
Double world champion Max Verstappen's victory for Red Bull remained unaffected, along with the second place of Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and third of Red Bull's Sergio Perez.

Stewards accepted, however, that some drivers had not been penalised for exceeding track limits in a race awash with breaches.

The final classification demoted Ferrari's Carlos Sainz from fourth to sixth while McLaren's Lando Norris and Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso moved up to fourth and fifth respectively.

Seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton dropped from seventh to eighth and behind Mercedes team mate George Russell while Aston Martin's Lance Stroll gained a place to ninth and Alpine's Pierre Gasly lost one to 10th.
"An examination of the list of deleted lap times provided to the stewards by race control revealed that a number of track limit infringements had not previously been referred to the stewards for potential penalty," stewards said.

"It was determined that some of these infringements warranted a penalty that was not previously applied when the provisional classification was published."
But in the race the situation bordered on farcical. Almost half the field were penalised during the grand prix itself - including Hamilton and Sainz - and after the race the FIA revealed that there had been more than 1,200 incidents of exceeding track limits reported, some of which had not been penalised.

It took five hours after the race for this to be fully sifted through and it changed around the order of the top 10, demoting Sainz from fourth to sixth behind Norris and Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso, putting Hamilton down a place to eighth behind Russell, and demoting Pierre Gasly's Alpine from ninth to 10th behind Alonso's team-mate Lance Stroll.

Last edited:
Maybe time for an automatic track limits enforcement system where the engine reduces power for a set time period, instead of all this craziness?

I bet they wouldn’t do it often once they start feeling their engine power fading.

Back
Top Bottom