Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Senna raced for 4 teams Verstappen raced for Red Bull other than 4 races for Toro Rosso, so Senna was a better racer in my view

But i would say that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hmm is it going to happen this year

Stroll Sr ok i started this to give you a seat but the cars better than you are
Needs to happen soon I think, but who will be free to take the seat and is faster?

Reactions: Ax^
hmm most drivers have a performance clause built in .. or should

just checked none Lando contract damn

could la clonk go fuck this for a game of soldiers
I think Lando is more likely as Bottas wants to race for Audi

Reactions: Ax^
New brands always bring their own driver preferences.

I hate seeing good drivers defenestrated by new, over-excited, tumescent marketing reptiles.

The thing with Aston is they can't win a world championship with a Mercedes power unit, the big changes will come there in 26 when Honda is there engine supplier, so maybe they'll stick with Lance until then

The thing with Aston is they can't win a world championship with a Mercedes power unit, the big changes will come there in 26 when Honda is there engine supplier, so maybe they'll stick with Lance until then
Makes perfect sense.

Sky commentator makes HUGE Hamilton contract prediction​

David Croft believes an announcement on Lewis Hamilton's new Mercedes contract is imminent and reckons it could be wrapped up by the time the Grand Prix paddock heads to Silverstone next month. Hamilton is out of contract at Mercedes at the end of the season and has not yet put pen to paper on a new deal with the Silver Arrows. Every indication is that he would like to sign and Mercedes want him to stay, but as yet, no formal agreement has been announced.

The seven-time world champion had been linked with a move to Ferrari, though those rumours were shut down and instead, Hamilton is focusing on remaining with Mercedes long-term. Speaking on Sky, commentator David Croft says he thinks there are a few minor details holding up the announcement but is confident in saying that Hamilton will be staying with the team for the foreseeable future. "Lewis wants to stay with Mercedes. Mercedes want to stay with him. It will get done," Croft told fellow Sky reporter Craig Slater. "It won't be about money. It'll be about support for The Hamilton Commission. Support with various things that Lewis wants to do. Tie-ups with the future. Maybe an ambassadorial role? There will be lots of little things that need sorting out. But it will get done and it wouldn't surprise me if it was announced at Silverstone."

Hamilton is currently fourth in the world championship and his quest for an eighth world title will go on as Max Verstappen continues to dominate the 2023 season.

Are Red Bull and Mercedes breaking the rules? TD45 explained​

The governing body has become aware of a loophole in the cost cap regulations that were introduced in 2021, and it seems some of the top teams have been exploiting this ambiguity. F1 teams are massive organisations, and most have dipped their toes in other sporting disciplines. Take Mercedes Technical Director James Allison for example, who returned to the F1 team in March following a stint with INEOS Britannia’s yacht racing team (which is affiliated with AMG Formula One Applied Science).

The FIA are worried that the likes of Mercedes, Red Bull, Aston Martin and Ferrari are using knowledge gained from other sports to further their F1 designs, which wouldn’t fall under cost cap regulations. The cost cap was put in place to stop team spending from going out of control and to create a financially-sustainable environment to entice more investors and potential teams to the sport. Red Bull were found guilty of breaching the cap at the end of last year, and were subsequently hit with a $7 million fine as well as a 10% reduction in wind tunnel testing in preparation for 2023. Similarly, Aston Martin were also found to have spent too much, and were ordered to pay $450,000 as a penalty.

How TD45 works
To combat this loophole the FIA have introduced TD45, a brand new technical directive. It states that any ‘intellectual property’ utilised from affiliated projects outside of F1 will now be included in the cost cap budget. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the current top four teams in the Constructors’ Championship have been asked to declare any knowledge they have acquired from other sporting projects.

The cut-off point for TD45 is January 1st 2023, meaning any money that has been spent since then will suddenly be included in their yearly budget. This could significantly reduce available funds for the rest of the year, or may even mean some teams already find themselves in breach of the cost cap regulations. This could have huge repercussions for the progress of several teams on the grid. Expect to hear more from the individual teams in the coming days…

F1 driver contracts ‘silly season’ gets underway​

Let’s take the temperature of the five drivers we know don’t have contracts for next year.

Nico Hülkenberg:
When Haas brought Hülkenberg on board, they sought a more steady veteran hand on the wheel after Mick Schumacher’s (loudly) underwhelming 2021 and 2022. You can say this for The Hülk: he hasn’t trashed the car yet. But, so far, the 35-year-old has been the model of Haas inconsistency: in the five races he’s started top ten, he’s finished with points just once (in Australia, which barely counts). How much is it the car’s lack of race pace, though?

Lewis Hamilton:
He’s Lewis Hamilton. A new Mercedes contract should come down any day now. Next.

Zhou Guanyu:
This is a vibes grade. Zhou locked in points at Barcelona, and he’s put some speedy laps in (the Bahrain lap, where he raced two seconds faster than anyone else to deny Alpine points, was silly.) But then you look at the hard, cold numbers and wonder. Wildly inconsistent finishes P16, P13, P9, DNF, P16, P13, P9, P16. Why, that almost looks like a pattern …
He’s admitted he prefers the more traditional tracks (which we’re in the thick of at this point in the schedule). I think there’s more to see here.

Yuki Tsunoda:
Canada was a mess for Tsunoda, who incurred a grid penalty during qualifying and never factored into the grand prix. But for someone ranked 17th in the standings, we sure are talking about him a lot. That’s because the AlphaTauri is clearly the weakest car on the grid this season, and Tsunoda keeps driving the pants off it most weeks. He’ll be in demand if Red Bull can’t keep him.

Logan Sargeant:
Instead of a deep analysis of the 20th-place driver, I’ll offer an exchange between Oscar Piastri and Sargeant in a recent video.

Piastri: “You had a good first lap in Bahrain, didn’t you?”

Sargeant: “About my only good lap.”

Oh, Logan. Like Luke said last week, Williams believes in him. Patience is at play here.

“This calendar this year is probably the best preparation for next year,” Williams sporting director Sven Smeets told Madeline Coleman in May. “And this is how we see it. So this year is still a learning year for him.”

Formula 2 team, Hitech GP, apply to join the 2026 Formula 1 grid​

It was announced today that 25% of Hitech Global Holding Limited has been sold to Vladimir Kim. Hitech Global Holdings owns the Hitech Grand Prix business and operates the Formula 2, Formula 3 and Formula 4 teams. Within the press release, Hitech made another, even more, shocking announcement… they announced that they have applied to join the 2026 Formula 1 grid.

“In 2023, after 20 months of planning and extensive preparation at its Silverstone base, Hitech made its application for entry into the FIA Formula One Championship from the 2026 season, a move that would complete its single-seater ladder and demonstrate that Hitech has all the right people, experience and resources to compete alongside the best teams in the world.” Despite having only been involved in motorsport for less than a decade, after being founded in 2015, Hitech Grand Prix has found success in the lower formulas.

New Investment
One of the main reasons that Hitech has been able to take this next step is because of the new investment found in the deal with Vladimir Kim. Kim, an avid motorsport fan, spoke excitedly about the commercial opportunities as well as the personal enjoyment he would get from the deal. “We have an established involvement with sport; however, this is our first global investment in motorsport. Its dynamic appeal, growing exposure, business-to-business marketing opportunities and burgeoning fan base are aligned with my ambitions personally and commercially. Motorsport has been a long-standing personal interest for me, and I am delighted to be entering into a partnership with an organisation that has enjoyed success in so many categories and has such ambitions for its future.”

The future of Formula 1
Since the FIA opened up applications for new teams to join the grid, many other teams have been rumoured to be making applications. Most notably, Andretti have confirmed their application for entry in their partnership with Cadillac. Hitech CEO, Oliver Oakes, has stated that the new investment and support from Kim will be “invaluable” as the group pursues an entry into Formula 1. “I am delighted to welcome Vladimir Kim to the Hitech group. During our discussions, we found many natural synergies and I know that his support will be invaluable as we seek to build on Hitech’s success and work towards achieving its broader ambitions over the years to come.”

Following this announcement, all eyes will be on other FIA applications. Despite many teams wanting to enter, the Formula 1 grid only has space for 12 teams meaning a maximum of 2 applications have the chance of being successful. Will Hitech Grand Prix make the cut?

Lederhosen alert!

This Austrian GP is traditionally where Whinger clamps a swath of dead cow around his buttocks and begins whistling Edelweiss.

It's one of those weekends where Liberty Media pulls off its very own televisual anschluss, and creates four races out of one - all in the cause of a Greater Grand Prix.

The UK telly times for this contrivance will be:

Fri 30 June
FP1 - 12:30
Qual - 16:00

Sat 1 July
Sprint shootout - 11:00
Sprint - 15:30

Sun 2 July
Race - 14:00

Happily, next weekend will be the British Grand Prix, as sensible as a nice cup of tea, and as unchanging as canal-water.

Back
Top Bottom