Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

so friday p1 after which qualifing for the sprint race normal format q1.q2.q3 stuff

then the cars are put under perc ferme conditions limited changes

p2 1 hour on a saturday

then a mini race of around 30 minutes to set the grid for the sunday race
after which if like last year for some daft reason we've got to think its the 50s again and the drivers will be dragged around the track on a flat
bed with oversize racing laurels like they a sterling moss
TBH this sounds like me taking my kids round in pushchairs when they were small.

It probably accounts for why they both get PTSD in cars, and I'm still banned from the park.

:)

Derp.

Something different for this season is the larger 18-inch tyres. Pirelli’s decision to swap from 13-inch wheels to 18-inch, and the return of wheel covers, has fans hoping they’ll improve on-track battles as they should be less prone to overheating.

However, three drivers have already discovered they could be in trouble this season – they can’t see the track!

“Visibility is kind of a bitch with this tyre, you can’t see much,” Lance Stroll said.

Williams’s new car sports revised livery for 2022

The Grove-based squad pulled the covers off what appears to be an FW44 show car during a digital event. As the team heads into the new rules era, it has tweaked its colour scheme to a new blend of blues and red. The addition of red is said to have been inspired by a determination to promote the team's British roots. The Grove-based outfit is hoping to build on the momentum it gained in 2021, where it moved off the bottom of the constructors' championship and finished eighth thanks to points-scoring finishes from both George Russell and Nicholas Latifi.

F1 team Jost Capito said he hoped that the improvements last year would play a part in driving the team forward this season. "It was a great season for us, especially the step from 2020 to 2021," he said. "This result, the points and the podium, gave a boost to the entire team. I hope that this boost will show up in the performance of the FW44 this year." While Latifi is staying on for another season, Williams has welcomed former Red Bull driver Alex Albon as replacement for Russell, who has moved to Mercedes. Albon spent the 2021 season as reserve at Red Bull, as the Milton Keynes-based team helped ease his return to a race seat. Speaking about his F1 return, Albon said: "It feels like a year out and I'm itching to get going it makes you hungry to get back in a seat. The year out was actually a way to see things from a different perspective, in a way that is not purely focused on the driving side. This is a team that is really on a climb and hopefully we will be able to use what I know to help it on its way."

Williams is continuing to undergo a rebuilding under new owners Dorilton Capital, and it hopes to make further progress with the new rules era offering a reset that should help F1's smaller squads. The team will again race with Mercedes engines, having been a partner of the German manufacturer since the start of F1's turbo hybrid era in 2014.

1644920732893.png

1644920682974.png
1644920852819.png

1644921022037.png

F1 threw ‘millions of pounds’ at 2022 rules research

Formula 1 went to a whole new level of research to craft the 2022 regulations, which also ventured into a new realm spending wise. The issue of drivers struggling to follow another closely for an extended period of time has been a long-standing issue in Formula 1, with the loss of downforce and impact on the tyres playing major roles in the overtaking possibilities. The new 2022 regulations will look to address that, finally arriving a year later than advertised after the global pandemic shelved the initial plans to bring them into play from 2021. Formula 1 has taken the leading role in research for these rules, with F1’s director of data systems Rob Smedley previously explaining the role that that F1’s partnership with AWS has played in the process, giving the series access to Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) technology superior to the technology that the teams have. Overall, it has been a research process dwarfing that of any other previous change of regulations, which has come at a record cost. “For the first time, when we set up this operation in 2017 actually, with a view of looking at the 2021 car [which was delayed due to the global pandemic], we have thrown heaps of resources, we have thrown millions of pounds at it which again has never been done before,” F1 chief technical officer Pat Symonds told the Formula 1 website. “We’ve researched it to death! We’ve been very self-critical, we’ve engaged teams allowed them to be critical so never before has this amount of work gone into regulations on anything, whether that be aerodynamics, tyres, engine. Anything.”

The FIA’s head of aerodynamics Jason Somerville explained that the F1 Motorsport team came up with 20 different potential concepts for the 2022 car before releasing the final show car, which took over 10,000 CFD simulations to reach. “Our CFD models range from 150 to 600 million cells and run on high-specification AWS [Amazon Web Services] cloud computing systems,” he said. “The fastest F1 simulation results are returned to us within 2.5 hours of submitting the case. There were 20 formal baseline iterations, but each baseline step comprised hundreds of individual CFD simulations, where the design was continually developed and refined. Overall, we conducted over 10,000 CFD simulations!”

From all of the research, Formula 1 expects a 4% loss of downforce when the 2022 car is 20 meters back from the car ahead, dropping from around 35% in 2021. When a 2022 car is then behind another, the loss of downforce rises to 18%, instead of 46% as was the case in 2021. The first unofficial test for the 10 teams will take place at the Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya from February 23-25, before the official pre-season test at the Bahrain International Circuit from March 10-12. The Bahrain Grand Prix will then kick-off the season on March 20.

F1 Drive to Survive announcement made during Super Bowl sparking fan excitement

With the eyes of the world on Super Bowl LVI on Sunday night, Netflix took the opportunity to release the date of its highly anticipated Drive to Survive series. With more than 70,000 fans crammed into the SoFi Stadium, and 91.6 million watching elsewhere in the world, it seemed the perfect opportunity to advertise when sports fans can re-live one of the most dramatic F1 season's ever.

In a sensational finale to the campaign, Lewis Hamilton won three consecutive races in Brazil, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia to wipe out his 19-point deficit to Max Verstappen and ensure the two rivals went into the last Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi level on points. And the event at the Yas Marina culminated in wildly controversial fashion, with Verstappen over taking the British driver on the final lap to sensationally clinch his maiden F1 title. However, his opportunity only came after a dubious late safety car procedure, with FIA race director Michael Masi still battling to save his job after his actions led to accusations of contriving an exciting finish. It was far from the only flashpoint though, with Hamilton and Verstappen colliding on the track at both Silverstone and Monza, and the pair were central to several other tempestuous moments.

There was ample more drama for F1 fans to digest, with the retirement of Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren's famous one-two finish in Italy, and George Russell's memorable first podium in torrential rain in Belgium all contributing to an unforgettable campaign. That notion has proved perfect for Netflix chiefs, with the company happy to pay the extortionate rate required to secure a Super Bowl half-time commercial. It was confirmed that season four of the series will air on March 11, with a huge number of viewers expected to tune in. However, there won't be much by way of input from champion Verstappen himself, who has previously slammed the series for being "fake" and refused to conduct interviews to contribute to footage.

The first season of Drive to Survive premiered in March 2019, covering the F1 season from 2018. The second was released in February 2020, and the third in March 2021 despite having to review a campaign profoundly affected by Covid-19. This will be the first time however, that a series won't culminate with Hamilton being crowned champion, with the Mercedes man having prevailed four times in a row before losing out to the Red Bull protege. The announcement formed part of a memorable Super Bowl half-time show, which involved the likes of Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J, Blige and Kendrick Lamar.

Williams DROP the Senna logo

Williams have caused shock with the release of their new car for the 2022 season after deciding to drop the logo in tribute to their former driver Ayrton Senna. The Brazilian was tragically killed following a crash at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix while behind the wheel of a Williams in just his third race for the team. The incident sent the sport into huge mourning for the three-time world champion who is widely recognised as one of the greatest drivers of all time. Since 1995 every Williams car has featured the Senna logo on the front wing to not just pay tribute to the legendary star but also to promote the foundation in his name that is run by his family.

But at the launch of their new FW44 car, the team's chief executive Jost Capito claimed that the removal was no accident but was keen to ensure the team would continue to remember Senna in other ways. 'The decision was that we want to move on in the future,' Capito said. 'We have a new era, we have a new car. And we refurbished also our museum, and where we have a special area to celebrate Ayrton. I think we had to look now in the future and not showing the drivers the 'S' all the time they get in the car and being reminded of what happened. Now it's time for the team to move on and be very honourable to Senna and having a very dedicated space in the museum and honour him there.'

While the initial gesture was made by the Williams family who ran the team for over four decades prior to its 2020 summer sale to current owners Dorilton Capital, the removal of the Senna imagery will also be another sign of the team's break from its past DNA. The Ayrton Senna Foundation was founded and is run by the driver's sister Viviane, but neither she nor the Senna family were consulted about the logo's removal. 'We didn't have a consultation with the family but we are working with the foundation and we will increase our effort with the foundation and work on how we can to support the Senna foundation more,' Capito said. 'I think more people benefit from this. If we can help people, especially through the foundation, I think that's a very good programme. But it has to be still finally defined.'

[Personally I don't see it as a big deal, it was the Williams family paying respect to the Senna family, now there are new owners I guess they want to move on. I think it was disrespectful not to inform or consult the Senna family first, but that's the way many people and companies are nowadays, no respect]

Ferrari unveil their 2022 challenger, the F1-75

Ferrari have unveiled their interpretation of the revolutionary technical regulations introduced for 2022 with a digital launch of the F1-75. Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc, who finished fifth and seventh in the drivers’ standings respectively last year, will once again make up the team’s driver line-up. "This is an important day for us as we launch our car, the Ferrari F1-75. I must admit that personally, I'm excited about it, as this car is a product of the effort, dedication and passion of each one of us. It's down to the work of a group of people who have invested everything in this car, working with courage, creativity and team spirit," said Team Principal Mattia Binotto. "We have a good team of people here who have gone from strength to strength, investing all their skills in this project and I am proud of them. We have tackled the challenged of this project with an innovative approach, because, apart from the requirements of the completely new technical regulations, we believe that we had to take on this exercise with an open mind."

"Yes, I'm more than ready for this season," said Sainz. "2021 was a great year for me because I managed to learn how the team works on the inside, to adapt to a new environment, but also mainly to learn about the Ferrari brand and how everything works from here and it was a great experience for me. Now it's time to take the team to a different level, take it to a different step, and as drivers and the team together we want more things and more success in 2022 so let's go and get it."

"I really, really like it. I think I'll love it even more if it's fast on track but I absolutely love the look," added Leclerc. "I think it fits perfectly. It's a bit of a darker red. It looks a bit more aggressive but for a car like this, I think it fits perfectly." They switched attention early to 2022, even introducing a hybrid system late last year that was originally earmarked for its debut this season, and which performed very strongly. Ferrari are the seventh team to reveal their 2022 challenger. World champions Mercedes will launch their season on Friday, with Alpine following suit on Monday. The cars will hit the track in anger for the first time next week in Spain, when three days of pre-season running takes place at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
1645096660573.png

1645096545671.png
1645096627144.png
1645096693668.png

FIA removes Masi, announces new virtual F1 race control system

Michael Masi has lost his job as Formula 1 race director as part of a shake-up following last year's Abu Dhabi GP controversy, the FIA announced on Thursday. He will be replaced by WEC race director Eduardo Freitas and former DTM man Niels Wittich, who was already announced as Masi's deputy for the season. They will alternate as race director, backed up by Charlie Whiting's erstwhile deputy Herbie Blash. Former Brabham team manager Blash returns in the role of permanent senior advisor after being absent since the end of the 2016 season. Ben Sulayem also announced that race as expected control will have remote assistance from an off-site FIA facility, which is likely to be based in Geneva, and which he likened to the VAR system in football. He also said that radio communications from teams to race control will no longer be broadcast and will be more strictly controlled, and that the unlapping procedure under safety cars will be reviewed.

Speaking in a video issued by the FIA he confirmed that his plan has been approved by F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali and the team bosses in Monday's F1 Commission meeting in London. Outlining the changes he said: "Firstly, to assist the race director in the decision-making process, a Virtual Race Control Room will be created. Like the Video Assistance Referee, VAR, in football, it will be positioned in one of the FIA offices as a backup outside the circuit. In real-time connection with the FIA F1 race director, it will help to apply the sporting regulations using the most modern technological tools. Secondly, direct radio communications during the race, currently broadcast live by all TVs, will be removed in order to protect the race director from any pressure and allow him to take decisions peacefully. It will still be possible to ask questions to the race director, according to a well-defined and non-intrusive process. Thirdly, unlapping procedures behind safety car will be reassessed by the F1 Sporting Advisory Committee and presented to the next F1 Commission prior to the start of the season."

Ben Sulayem said that the new race management team will be in place for the first time at the Barcelona test next week. "Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas will act alternatively as race director, assisted by Herbie Blash as permanent senior advisor. Michael Masi, who accomplished a very challenging job for three years as F1 race director following Charlie Whiting, will be offered a new position within the FIA. I presented this complete plan to the members of the World Motor Sport Council and the Senate who gave their full support. With this plan, FIA opens the way for a new step forward in F1 refereeing. Without the referees, there is no sport. Respect and support of the referees is in the essence of the FIA. That is why these structural changes are crucial in a context of strong development and the legitimate expectations of drivers, teams, manufacturers, organisers, and of course, the fans."

FIA removes Masi, announces new virtual F1 race control system

Michael Masi has lost his job as Formula 1 race director as part of a shake-up following last year's Abu Dhabi GP controversy, the FIA announced on Thursday. He will be replaced by WEC race director Eduardo Freitas and former DTM man Niels Wittich, who was already announced as Masi's deputy for the season. They will alternate as race director, backed up by Charlie Whiting's erstwhile deputy Herbie Blash. Former Brabham team manager Blash returns in the role of permanent senior advisor after being absent since the end of the 2016 season. Ben Sulayem also announced that race as expected control will have remote assistance from an off-site FIA facility, which is likely to be based in Geneva, and which he likened to the VAR system in football. He also said that radio communications from teams to race control will no longer be broadcast and will be more strictly controlled, and that the unlapping procedure under safety cars will be reviewed.

Speaking in a video issued by the FIA he confirmed that his plan has been approved by F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali and the team bosses in Monday's F1 Commission meeting in London. Outlining the changes he said: "Firstly, to assist the race director in the decision-making process, a Virtual Race Control Room will be created. Like the Video Assistance Referee, VAR, in football, it will be positioned in one of the FIA offices as a backup outside the circuit. In real-time connection with the FIA F1 race director, it will help to apply the sporting regulations using the most modern technological tools. Secondly, direct radio communications during the race, currently broadcast live by all TVs, will be removed in order to protect the race director from any pressure and allow him to take decisions peacefully. It will still be possible to ask questions to the race director, according to a well-defined and non-intrusive process. Thirdly, unlapping procedures behind safety car will be reassessed by the F1 Sporting Advisory Committee and presented to the next F1 Commission prior to the start of the season."

Ben Sulayem said that the new race management team will be in place for the first time at the Barcelona test next week. "Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas will act alternatively as race director, assisted by Herbie Blash as permanent senior advisor. Michael Masi, who accomplished a very challenging job for three years as F1 race director following Charlie Whiting, will be offered a new position within the FIA. I presented this complete plan to the members of the World Motor Sport Council and the Senate who gave their full support. With this plan, FIA opens the way for a new step forward in F1 refereeing. Without the referees, there is no sport. Respect and support of the referees is in the essence of the FIA. That is why these structural changes are crucial in a context of strong development and the legitimate expectations of drivers, teams, manufacturers, organisers, and of course, the fans."

Well there we go. The right thing IMO, Masi did fuck it up, Max deserves the WC for his driving over the year, (naughtiness aside). Sorry Lewis, try again next year.

#44 GOAT 🐐

FIA launches tender for 2026 standard F1 ECU contract

The FIA is seeking bidders for the supply of the standard electronic control unit to be used by all teams under Formula 1's next generation power unit regulations. The governing body has published an invitation to tender for the SECU contract that will run for the five seasons from 2026 to 2030.
F1 has utilised an SECU since 2008, following a tender process that was launched in 2006. The general idea was to give the FIA a better understanding of what the teams were doing, as well as a greater ability to stop the use of banned technologies, such as launch or traction control.

The first contract was won by a joint venture between Microsoft and McLaren Electronic Systems. McLaren has remained the sole supplier ever since, latterly via its renamed Applied division. The company thus has to be regarded as the favourite to secure the new contract, and any rivals will have to present impressive bids in order to unseat the incumbent.

Bidders have a limited amount of time in which to respond, as the deadline for submissions is March 25. Candidates will then be invited to present their bids in interviews in mid-April, with a decision made by the end of that month. The successful bidder faces a tough schedule, especially given that the definitive 2026 power unit regulations have not yet been published in detail. The winner has to provide a first set of hardware and software specifications to competitors which means teams and their PU suppliers by July 1 2023, followed by a pre-production sample for testing by October 1.

The final spec has to be frozen by January 14 2024. By the start of the following month teams have to place their initial orders for the 2026 season and for any testing they want to do before then. The first deliveries of three units per team have to be guaranteed by July 1 2024. The FIA has made it clear that as the final customers the teams and power unit suppliers will play a role in examining the bids. It notes: "Due to the scope and implications of the SECU supply contract on the running of the championship, the FIA intends to share the bids with the teams and power unit manufacturers for their comments to the FIA. The FIA will also organise meetings where tenderers will be invited to present their offers and answer questions from the FIA, the teams and the power unit manufacturers. By submitting offers, tenderers acknowledge and agree to those conditions."

Either McLaren and Aston have it ‘a bit wrong, or a bit right’

Two of the real cars F1 has seen so far, McLaren and Aston Martin, have gone with very different approaches to this year’s technical regulations. Sky Sports’ pundit David Croft concedes one of them could have it a “bit wrong” but they won’t know until next week’s shakedown. McLaren and Aston Martin both unveiled real cars in their 2022 launches, the only two teams to do so although we have since seen the Williams and the Alfa Romeo on the track. The one big notable difference between the MCL36 and the AMR02 is their suspension layouts.

While McLaren have gone with the unconventional, using a pull-rod front suspension and a push-rod rear, Aston Martin have gone with the traditional design with a push-rod front and a pull-rod rear. McLaren’s technical director James Key said at the launch of the MCL36 that the team has “either got it really, really right or…” But, as he explained, “the whole suspension layout is about aerodynamics. At the front, it’s the only thing you’ve got to play with between the entrance of the floor and the front wing, and depending on how you treat the front wing and where the entry to the floor needs its load condition will kind of set out what you think the best front suspension geometry is.” He added that he is “fairly confident it will work as expected.”

Croft says only time will tell if McLaren have got it right, or if the Aston Martin layout is the better of the two options. “Of the launches we’ve seen so far – McLaren haven’t gone the same way as Aston Martin with their suspension for instance,” he said “So you think, one of them might’ve got it a bit wrong. One of them might’ve got it a bit right, or they might both be right, we just don’t know until they hit the track.”

The Briton also spoke about McLaren’s line up for this year’s championship, saying in Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris the Woking team has two drivers who are capable of winning races. Last season Ricciardo did just that at the Italian Grand Prix, Norris second on the day. “Is Daniel the lead driver?” he said. “Maybe not, to be fair, and maybe that’s a position that’s good for both Lando and Daniel. Because on any given Sunday McLaren has a driver line-up that are both capable of winning a race. And that’s what a team needs, strength and depth. It’s no good having a star striker if you don’t have a team to back him up. And I think McLaren have two drivers who can put on a lot of pressure, given the right car, on Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari who I think are going to be up there, and Alpine and Aston Martin if they come to the party.”

McLaren recently signed Norris to a new long-term extension, the Briton staying on until the end of 2025, while Ricciardo has hinted that it is only a matter of time before the team takes up their option on him for 2023. Croft applauded the harmony within the team, saying that can only drive McLaren forward. “Daniel has lost nothing of his ability and his race-winning ability,” he said. “In Lando he had a team-mate who on the day was happy to play the team game as well, and that shows a lot to the outside world about the partnership and the trust and willingness to work together that Daniel and Lando have. That should carry on for this year as well, both are very happy, they’re very settled at McLaren … they’re not looking for long-term new contracts, their future is quite settled. Lando has just signed a new deal, Daniel is really happy with McLaren and not looking to move elsewhere, so that creates harmony that can only be good for the team.”

Mercedes reverts to Silver Arrows robe for slick new W13

Mercedes F1 has unveiled its 2022 contender, the W13 that will tackle the start of Formula 1's new era and the Brackley squad will do it with a proper Silver Arrows. After racing in black for two seasons as part of its anti-racism message, the reigning world champions have reverted to their classic silver color for their all-new slick design, a car which Mercedes says is "98% new and freshly designed from tip-to-toe with minimal carry-over from its predecessor".

The new car still features some black trim running along its side with the traditional turquoise color of title sponsor Petronas, while its engine cover remains emblazoned with an array of three-point stars. "Ever since work on W13 began, I have seen an excited enthusiasm in our team members like never before, thanks to the scale of opportunity that these technical regulations provide," said Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff. "Towards the end of the year when the car build project truly came together, I felt a deep passion across the whole organisation, not only in the technical arena but across our bases at Brackley and Brixworth who were embracing a mindset of 'we can do this'".

"We did pretty well during the last big regulatory change into the hybrid era and performed well when we went from the narrow to the wide cars in 2017. While we have a good track record, my message is clear: we can't rely on past success for this year's performance, but we can rely on our people, our culture, our structure, and our mindset to do the best possible job for 2022." To defend its Constructors' title, Mercedes will rely on a mega-talented new driver pairing consisting of seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton and his new teammate George Russell.

"I have never seen him more determined," said Wolff. "Lewis is the best driver in the world, and he is joined by one of the brightest and most promising of their generation in George. George is just getting on with the job. I know he's had a good winter of training and we've seen him in the factory, working on the simulator and with his engineers. This team has always been his home and therefore the transition to driving for us has been very smooth. I have no doubt that we can create an environment of partnership between the two, of productivity to develop this new car which will be essential, whilst maintaining a healthy competition that will motivate them and the wider team."

Mercedes also benefits from a strong reserve driver line-up with reigning Formula E World Champion, Nyck De Vries, continuing to join his Mercedes-EQ Formula E teammate, Stoffel Vandoorne, on the team's support roster.

1645170851902.png
1645170865922.png
1645170894700.png

Mario Andretti's son, Michael, has applied to the FIA to start a new F1 team, called "Andretti Global", in 2024.
This is after he failed to buy the Alfa Romeo team last year.
However -
"Last year F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali downplayed the possibility of the field expanding, suggesting that he was happy with 10 teams.
“I can definitely tell you that after the introduction of the of the budget cap, we are receiving a lot of requests,” he told Autosport last year.
“But I do believe that it’s important to keep the value of the actual franchises or teams, because that really can make the difference in terms of their sustainability.
"I would prefer to keep a better sustainability with the teams that are actually here.”

Hamilton’s first lap in the Mercedes W13 at Silverstone

It did not take long for Lewis Hamilton and new teammate George Russell to get the newly launched Mercedes W13, the pair taking their 2022 Formula 1 challenger to Silverstone for as much of a shakedown as the wet weather allowed. Nevertheless, it is always a big occasion when a new F1 car fires up ahead of a season, the roar of the car starting up in the garage, and then rolling out onto the pitlane for the first on-track laps signals the real start to the new championship year. Hamilton rolled out of the Silverstone pits shortly after the World Champions launched the new car, with team principal Toto Wolff and his drivers introducing their car online on Friday. The weather in Europe at the moment is ferocious, thus no meaningful running even in the allocated ‘Film Day’ restrictions and conditions.

Wolff: Our colours going forward will be silver and black. Notably, the cars were back to Silver after a couple of seasons in Black; Wolff explained the rationale behind the decision: “The black livery was a clear intent and a clear demonstration of our mission to become a more diverse and inclusive team. It has become part of our DNA, but the silver colour of the Silver Arrows is as much our DNA, it’s our history. As a team, we have grown from the Silver Arrows to slowly becoming a more diverse and inclusive team and therefore our colours going forward will be silver and black,” explained Wolff.

The Mercedes W13 will next appear on track for the serious business of preseason testing only six days altogether means a very busy period ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix from 23 to 25 February at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

FIA confirm tweak to Safety Car rules for 2022

The FIA have clarified a rewording of the F1 Safety Car rules following the controversial decisions at the 2021 season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. In order to prevent backmarkers interfering with the race for the lead at Safety Car restarts, lapped cars have been allowed to pass the leaders prior to the green flag racing resuming. During a crucial Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the end of 2021, race director Michael Masi brought out a late Safety Car to deal with Nicholas Latifi’s stricken Williams. With the pack bunched up, Masi then elected to release only cars between the two Championship contenders Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes, and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen. Verstappen would then go onto win the race, and the Championship, having used his much fresher tyres to make a last lap move on Hamilton. Mercedes lodged a protest of the decision immediately after the race, which was ultimately dropped after the FIA declared that a full investigation of the events would be undertaken. The results of the investigation includes a restructuring of the FIA’s F1 operations as well as a revision to the sporting regulations regarding Safety Car restarts.

The new regulations aim to streamline the restarts on clarifying what will trigger the Safety Car period to end and return to the pits. Under previous regulations, racing would resume “once the last car has passed the leader”. Under the revised regulations the Safety Car period will come to an end “once the message ‘lapped cars may now overtake’ has been sent to all competitors”. The track should also have been declared safe by the clerk of the course before this process is undertaken. Once the message is displayed, lapped cars are able to overtake and the Safety Car will return to the pits. This has been done with the aim of reducing the amount of time it will take for backmarkers to pass the leaders, or allow the teams more notice of racing to be resumed. The new regulations will come into force for the first race of the 2022 season at Bahrain.

[Not sure this article explains the new rule very well, but I think most fans will follow what they are saying, I'm sure we will see it in action soon after the season starts]

Mario Andretti's son, Michael, has applied to the FIA to start a new F1 team, called "Andretti Global", in 2024.
This is after he failed to buy the Alfa Romeo team last year.
However -
"Last year F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali downplayed the possibility of the field expanding, suggesting that he was happy with 10 teams.
“I can definitely tell you that after the introduction of the of the budget cap, we are receiving a lot of requests,” he told Autosport last year.
“But I do believe that it’s important to keep the value of the actual franchises or teams, because that really can make the difference in terms of their sustainability.
"I would prefer to keep a better sustainability with the teams that are actually here.”
The official FIA response to Andretti Jr's bid

"The FIA is not currently in a position to consider or comment on any expressions of interest or applications received from potential new entrant teams in respect to the FIA Formula 1 world championship." A new team based in the United States would capitalise on the growing exposure gained with the help of Netflix series 'Drive to survive', which saw a record crowd at the Circuit of the Americas last season. With COTA securing a new deal through to 2026 and Miami joining the calendar this year, stock would surely rise with Andretti joining.

[Regardless of what the FIA have to say, Liberty Media would love to have an American team in F1 and a team with the name Andretti attached would be like finding a golden ticket for them, it would be like having a Brazilian team backed by the Senna family, it would grow the sport massively in the region.

If Liberty Media say yes to Andretti then the FIA will have to fall in line. the only problem I can see is, what happens if Lamborghini and Porsche want to both join as teams? I don't really understand why the VW group would want two of its top brands competing in the same series. One thing is for sure and that's once the FIA announce the full 2026 engine specification and rules a number of manufacturers may well also want to join the party. They are looking for 25 plus races, how about 15 or 16 teams :) ]

Back
Top Bottom