Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Has he just been unlucky with cars that don't "suit" him?

He's a decent driver and has cojones, I was hoping for him to do better.
Yes, and I agree.

Long before Max was the new kid on the block, it was Danny Ric who was the Last Of The Late Brakers. He pulled off some stunning overtakes sending it down the inside and still keeping the car on the black stuff.

Max tries the same, but doesn't have Danny's finesse, and ends up tangling with the other car.

He should still be doing all that precision, feisty stuff.

Imagine the fun that would have been had if DR had won a WDC. Of all the recent drivers I think going for a beer with him and Kimi would have been the ones with massive hangovers, and great memories.

Yeah I can’t see DR in F1 once his contract is done. I don’t buy the whole car doesn’t suit him thing. I’ve never heard that excuse ever. If the car has to ‘suit you’ then are you actually any good a driver at all! Lots of good drivers with potential waiting in the wings and the likes of gasly who deserve to be higher up the grid than they are.

Yeah I can’t see DR in F1 once his contract is done. I don’t buy the whole car doesn’t suit him thing. I’ve never heard that excuse ever. If the car has to ‘suit you’ then are you actually any good a driver at all! Lots of good drivers with potential waiting in the wings and the likes of gasly who deserve to be higher up the grid than they are.
:hmm: Really?

My understanding is that cars always suit a certain type of driving style, and often that'll be on driver over another in a team.

That said, when Vettel made his move from Ferrari to Aston Martin, I think I remember someone saying the AM car would suit his style better due to having more control over the rear, or something?

Ok. I mean in the grand scheme of things. He should be able to get in any car and get the maximum out of it, if he’s really that good. I get a bedding in process but he’s taking the piss now. he’s under achieved everywhere, and it’s masked because he’s got a nice smile, likes jokes and is an all round top bloke. Others in the paddock have been treated worse given the consistent mediocre performances saved by the odd once in a blue moon flash of brilliance.

I was really excited for him joining mclaren but I’m just bored of the excuses now.

Ecclestone: F1 bosses 'haven't got the balls' to axe Monaco GP

Current Formula 1 bosses "haven't got the balls" to axe the Monaco Grand Prix, former chief Bernie Ecclestone claims. The future of the Monte Carlo race is uncertain with questions over its suitability for modern F1 as well as Liberty Media pushing for better commercial terms amid the need to accommodate new events on the calendar. But given the history and prestige that the Monaco GP carries, Ecclestone doesn't think those in charge would dare drop the sport's most famous race.

"I don't think anyone's got the balls to take that race away from Monaco," he told Reuters. Ecclestone also cited the confidence of Automobile Club de Monaco president Michel Boeri, who recently said the future of the race was "guaranteed" beyond 2022. "They are still super, super happy and confident with everything without any drama. So I don't see any problems there at all. Whether it's the worst race or the best race or whatever, it's the crown jewel."

The long-time F1 boss then took a dig at the recent Miami Grand Prix, which was billed as Liberty Media's answer to Monaco. "Look at Miami, that wasn't a Formula One race," he claimed. "It could have been a local club race, couldn't it. They had those boats in the car park, trying to make it look like Monaco."

[Old Bernie is always good for a quote :) ]

McLaren: Ricciardo vulnerable to 'contract mechanisms' for 2023

McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown says Daniel Ricciardo isn't guaranteed a seat with the team for 2023, insisting the Aussie's contract includes "mechanisms" that allow for a conditional early termination. Speculation over Ricciardo's F1 future ramped up last week when Brown admitted that his driver's results had fallen short of McLaren's expectations. But in Monaco, Ricciardo said that he was committed to his three-year contract with the Woking-based outfit that runs until the end of 2023.

However, while not disclosing any specific clauses in the Aussie's covenant, Brown revealed that the latter did include certain "mechanisms" that allow both parties to terminate the deal before its term. “I don’t want to get into the contract, but there are mechanisms in which we’re committed to each other, and mechanisms in which we’re not," said Brown, quoted ahead of this weekend's Indy 500. "I spoke with Daniel about it. We’re not getting the results that we both hoped for, but we’re both going to continue to push. I think he showed in Monza [last year] he can win races. We also need to develop our race car, it’s not capable of winning races. But we’d like to see him further up the grid. And we’ll see how things develop and what he wants to do. And then we’ve got our testing programme ramping up, but we’re in no rush."

McLaren's testing programme will see the papaya squad entrust a 2021 car to Arrows McLaren SP driver Pato O'Ward and to fellow IndyCar rival Colton Herta. The former tested for McLaren in Abu Dhabi last December and vowed to make every effort to switch to F1 at some point in the near future. "We’ve got both our test drivers under contract," said Brown. "Pato’s definitely going to be one of those. He did a very good job in Abu Dhabi last year. The IndyCar schedule is very packed, as you know, but the end of the year you won’t be surprised to see him in one of those cars."

[I've never heard a team principal speak about a drivers contract in terms like this, what he is saying is "we can get rid of him if we want, its in his contract". Not likely to make Danny Ric feel very secure, for sure he is going to start talking to other teams now.]

FP3 Monaco

Sergio Perez set the fastest time during the final practice session of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend. Perez topped the timesheets with a lap of 1:12.476, just over four hundreths of a second clear of Charles Leclerc, with Carlos Sainz third and Max Verstappen fourth respectively. Pierre Gasly claimed the fifth fastest time, while Lando Norris slotted into P6.

The full results from FP3 for the Monaco GP can be seen below:

Pos.No.DriverCarTimeGapLaps
111Sergio PerezRed Bull Racing Rbpt1:12.47626
216Charles LeclercFerrari1:12.517+0.041s28
355Carlos SainzFerrari1:12.846+0.370s28
41Max VerstappenRed Bull Racing Rbpt1:12.881+0.405s28
510Pierre GaslyAlphatauri Rbpt1:13.210+0.734s21
64Lando NorrisMclaren Mercedes1:13.226+0.750s18
744Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:13.375+0.899s25
820Kevin MagnussenHaas Ferrari1:13.436+0.960s23
963George RussellMercedes1:13.476+1.000s25
1014Fernando AlonsoAlpine Renault1:13.585+1.109s22
1122Yuki TsunodaAlphatauri Rbpt1:13.645+1.169s24
1247Mick SchumacherHaas Ferrari1:13.827+1.351s25
135Sebastian VettelAston Martin Aramco Mercedes1:13.838+1.362s27
1477Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo Ferrari1:13.849+1.373s24
1523Alexander AlbonWilliams Mercedes1:13.882+1.406s21
163Daniel RicciardoMclaren Mercedes1:14.104+1.628s28
1731Esteban OconAlpine Renault1:14.260+1.784s21
1818Lance StrollAston Martin Aramco Mercedes1:14.639+2.163s20
1924Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo Ferrari1:14.861+2.385s24
206Nicholas LatifiWilliams Mercedes1:14.910+2.434s25

F1 civil war looming over cost cap crisis

Alfa Romeo team principal Frédéric Vasseur believes there is no reason why Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes should struggle to remain within the F1 budget cap. The 'big three' plus McLaren are currently lobbying the FIA to increase this season's $140million cap due to soaring inflation that has impacted energy and freight bills. But there is firm opposition to a cap rise from Alfa Romeo and Alpine, while Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has also previously voiced his objection.

Like Haas, Alfa Romeo is not pushing the cap limit, meaning any increase would only serve the interests of their bigger rivals. "The difference is that we are not speaking about the budget cap, we are speaking about the budget on our side," explained Vasseur. "It means I won't be able to overspend what I have." Suggesting an answer to the issue, Vasseur added "If we have an increase in energy or freight, the best solution is to switch off the wind tunnel, to stop bringing updates to every single weekend. We are in this situation and sooner or later we will have to stop the development of the car because we will be at the limit of our budget and I think everybody can do the same."

Alpine - Where there is a will, there is a way
Red Bull and Ferrari have claimed it is not possible to adhere to the cap this year. Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer, however, has backed Vasseur's claim that teams should look at where savings can be made rather than bid for more wriggle room. "Most teams do their budgets in the November-December timeframe for the following year and we were no different," explained Szafnauer. "At that time, it was already a seven-plus per cent [inflation rate] - RPI in England was 7.1 per cent. We took that into consideration when we did our budgets and laid out all of the development work that we were going to do and we are still within it even though freight was a little bit more expensive than we thought. We are still under the cap and we plan to be there at the end of the year. We will adjust the development accordingly. It can be done. Where there is a will there is a way. We set a budget cap and we should stick to it."

Last edited:
wait for helmut to say red bull will leave the sport if they are not allowed to spend more money :D

alright Monoco Qually :cool:

Great result for Ferrari 1&2 but its a sorry state that I have to hope for Ferrari so I don't loose the bet and have to pay the bar bill. Can't see Lewis winning a race this season the way things are going :eek:

Back
Top Bottom