Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

OK guys that's us out of here, I'll have a bill to pay later :( and nothing good really to take away from this weekend, but lets see how it goes in 2 weeks time in Miami. New track for the drivers so I'd hope to see some good racing

I find it amazing it didn't show up in the CFD sims. For any of the teams (that we know of).
I agree. Mercedes really dropped a brick somewhere along the line.

It's not just that they're trailing, they're many seconds behind, and the car's not driveable at the pace of Ferrari, Red Fucking Bull or McLaren.

Hammy getting lapped by the Orange Title Thief is the final nail in the coffin from Mercedes' development efforts.

From this point, I hope to see weekly hangings at Mercedes pour encourager les autres.

:mad:

New race director may be needed for Miami Grand Prix

Both Eduardo Freitas and Niels Wittich have reportedly contracted COVID-19, meaning that a new race director may need to be drafted in for next weekend’s Miami Grand Prix. COVID laws in the Unites States rule that proof of a negative test taken no more than 24 hours before entry must be shown in order to enter the country, meaning that Freitas and Wittich essentially have until Wednesday to test negative, allowing for around 20 hours of flight time to get to Miami from Europe. The FIA have called the rumours “unsubstantiated,” and will not pass comment until there is official word about the health of the two race directors, but they will not have a shortage of options to replace them if needs be. Freitas and Wittich were drafted in to replace Michael Masi following a controversial season in 2021 that ended with a hugely controversial Safety Car restart by the Australian, leading Max Verstappen to pass Sir Lewis Hamilton on the very last lap of the Australian Grand Prix to seal the title.

Masi is currently residing in his homeland, and is not considered to be one of the viable options to return, but Eugene Arocca, CEO of motorsports Australia, sympathised with the 44-year-old’s perceivably unfair dismissal, and maintained that he would welcome him back to the Australian governing body with open arms. “It’s really easy to be a critic on the sidelines thinking what he went through when he was making those decisions,” he said earlier this year. "There would be other people that would be completely paralysed in exactly the same circumstances. He made the call. That is the first character trait of a strong leader. We would love to tap into his knowledge at any level. He’s just an elite talent that would be wasted to the sport if he’s not used in some capacity, and so we’ll keep an open mind.”

Other potential candidates include Scot Elkins – Formula E race director who took over from Wittich and Herbie Blash, who has been assisting the two nominated race directors this year, and served as deputy to the late Charlie Whiting for 20 seasons. Colin Haywood is set to stand in for Blash as deputy in Miami, making him another obvious choice if Wittich and Freitas are unable to attend. Steve Nielsen holds the sporting director title that Masi was also responsible for while he was race director, and he is understood not to be under consideration for the position.

FIA reveal six objectives for 2026 Formula 1 cars

2026 will be the season when all-new power units arrive in Formula 1, but the FIA also has clear ambitions on the chassis side. Discussions remain ongoing over the 2026 power units, talks which involve the Volkswagen Group, who are moving closer to entering their Porsche and Audi brands into Formula 1 from that season. Porsche are expected to link-up with Red Bull and their engine division, while talk that Audi could look to buy an existing team is growing, with Aston Martin and the Sauber-backed Alfa Romeo team believed to be options. The new power units are expected to be far cheaper compared to the current versions, while also featuring a greater reliance on electrical power, conditions which Porsche and Audi are believed to be laying down as part of their entry considerations. But that is the engine side. As for the cars, F1’s technical director Pat Symonds has already revealed that the 2022 challengers are shaping the “basic principles” for the 2026 versions. At the recent F1 Commission meeting, the FIA, regarding those 2026 cars, unveiled its “key targets relating to performance parameters, sustainability and financial regulations”. The report states that they were met with “positive feedback” and were listed as following:

• Significantly reduced drag to improve sustainability and efficiency and complement the power unit characteristics.
  • Maintain and improve on recent lessons learned about close racing and cars being able to follow each other.
  • Reduce car dimensions.
  • Reduce or contain car mass.
  • Sustainability. Continue path towards the standardisation or simplification of strategically-selected components for cost-cutting purposes. Expand the usage of sustainable materials or technologies and focus on recyclability.
  • Continued innovation in terms of car safety, moving towards active and connected safety systems.
As for more immediate issues, the FIA caused a shock among the teams after not aligning with their unanimous approval to increase the number of sprint qualifying events from three to six in 2023. The FIA are still evaluating the financial impacts of such an increase, arguing that it would necessitate more operational staff, though it is now “close to certain” that there will be six sprints in 2023. Among the other topics covered was the cost cap and the issue of inflation, with several teams previously reported to have been asking for an added allowance in the cap as electricity and freight costs soar. The “financial working group has been tasked with creating proposals for tackling this more effectively”, revealing that the “big teams” in particular are applying pressure.

Formula 1’s managing director Ross Brawn said that the budget cap will be reviewed in light of the high inflation rates, though not every team is supportive of an increase. At the F1 Commission meeting, it was “unanimously approved”, to make helmet cameras mandatory from 2023, while it was agreed that at two events next season, the allocation of slick tyres will reduce from 13 to 11 to assess the impact on track action as Formula 1 looks for a more sustainable future use of tyres.

FIA reveal six objectives for 2026 Formula 1 cars
  • Significantly reduced drag to improve sustainability and efficiency and complement the power unit characteristics.
  • Maintain and improve on recent lessons learned about close racing and cars being able to follow each other.
  • Reduce car dimensions.
  • Reduce or contain car mass.
  • Sustainability. Continue path towards the standardisation or simplification of strategically-selected components for cost-cutting purposes. Expand the usage of sustainable materials or technologies and focus on recyclability.
  • Continued innovation in terms of car safety, moving towards active and connected safety systems.

So, basically they'll be these....

1651163799605.png

I’m all for the “reduce car dimensions” bit. Modern F1 cars are highly impressive technological marvels, but they look rubbish, the proportions are all wrong.

let go the stock car route

Max, La Clonk, lando, Russel and Lewis

all bashing around in these

2012-305591-2013-mazda-mx-5-gt-22-03-20121.jpg

Thanks for posting it. I did pretty badly too, 8/20. Questions like “which race was the last time this result happened?“ I’ve no more than random chance with. I can barely rememher which was the last race I watched, let alone what the result of one from four years ago was 😅 Are they having a laugh?

Thank fuck for that, I thought it was just me!

"Hey do you remember that time that someone did this thing in that race in 1993 and it was amazing."

"No."

Back
Top Bottom