Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs The Netherlands, Wed 10/7 @ 8pm (ITV)

I know a German woman down here who is a massive Anglophile. Tattoos of the Queen and the Hampshire coat of arms featuring a crown. She’s supporting England too.

Yeah strangely I do know a few German Anglophiles too. IME there's a fair amount self loathing in Germany and admiration of 'Great Britain' - I find it one of the most welcoming European countries in that respect. Just don't mention bread. Then they get very nationalistic, which is fair.

See, I find this baffling. Kane is, without question, one of the very best centre forwards there is in the game - 60ish goals in 70ish games under Southgate, coming off a 40+ season in Germany, and a consistent goalscorer and creator for the last decade.

Sure, he's been a bit pap this tournament (as have several other England players, we've been absolute toilet for much of it) but I genuinely don't get why Kane isn't being seen as in a temporary lull of form that he'll play his way out of; as opposed to being past it, rubbish and in need of dropping.
We'll see if you're right or I am later

One of my brothers is a huge Netherlands fan, primarily based on him fancying the pants off Anita Dels from 2 Unlimited in the 90s. Still sports them now and I’m guessing will be wearing his orange top tonight…
Can't fault his 90s techno techno techno taste tbf

Yeah strangely I do know a few German Anglophiles too. IME there's a fair amount self loathing in Germany and admiration of 'Great Britain' - I find it one of the most welcoming European countries in that respect. Just don't mention bread. Then they get very nationalistic, which is fair.
You have no fucking idea what bread is until you've been to bavaria.

My brother in law is Austrian and makes the best bread I’ve ever had, still do. His family make Schnapps too and it’s incredible.
Bavaria / austria win by a country mile in both disciplines. That and beer.
Great shame about the football.

so - Shaw not starting - England will continue with the disjointed rag bag approach that has got them this far.
Think this is hard to call - both teams probably even - Holland more coherent but maybe bit fragile at the back.
Could be another 0-0/1-1 and penalities.

For the first time before a game this tournament I've felt like it mattered to me. Just went to the shop for provisions and passed a 20-something fella in an England shirt. We nodded at one another in a "Right, let's have it" sort of way, like it was suddenly 1998 or something and football was something I'd still not got used to disappointing me.

There are noticeably more flags than three weeks ago. I really hope we win tonight. I don't care how. I'm not fond of the way we've played or the bloody-mindedness of Southgate's defiant defensiveness, but fuck it, we've played better and gone out earlier in most tournaments I've ever watched.

Game on. Hope the changes he'll have to make work AGAIN.

so - Shaw not starting - England will continue with the disjointed rag bag approach that has got them this far.
Yep. Southgate just suggested he's not 100% fit, though I'd rather have him on for an hour at the start than coming on at 80 minutes when losing.

Good chance Kane will score if he gets a good chance but, tbh, I'd still drop him. The likes of Toney score as well.

Back
Top Bottom