Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DUP and Tory f*ck up thread

Doesn't (that word again) convention say that the incumbent having been given the opportunity to form an administration, and failed, the Monarch would then invite the leader of HMLO to have a punt?
I think that's correct. However, I really don't see how Labour can get past the first hurdle. Corbyn's trolling a bit I think on this. I don't see how the numbers can ever give him more than the 318 tories and the 10 DUPers who would definitely not abstain in this event.

Doesn't (that word again) convention say that the incumbent having been given the opportunity to form an administration, and failed, the Monarch would then invite the leader of HMLO to have a punt?

The problem there is that they could do that, but HMLO couldn't form a government and would not be able to pass a Queen's Speech. The most likely alternative Government really is one comprised of the Tories, backed by the DUP.

Obviously, the most likely outcome is that the creationists will fall into line by next week's QS vote...once they've extracted a few more motorways/airports or whatever it is they're after.

I think that's correct. However, I really don't see how Labour can get past the first hurdle. Corbyn's trolling a bit I think on this. I don't see how the numbers can ever give him more than the 318 tories and the 10 DUPers who would definitely not abstain in this event.
He doesn't necessarily need the numbers though: Labour's challenge to the tories (in the still unlikely event of them forming a minority government) is - support or abstain, or give us another election. Right now, I can't see them going for the election, so it'll be abstention.

Obviously, the most likely outcome is that the creationists will fall into line by next week's QS vote...once they've extracted a few more motorways/airports or whatever it is they're after.

The BBC (admittedly it was Laura Kuenssberg) claim their demand is a billion pound for the NHS in NI, a billion for "infrastructure etc", and increased defence spending.

Or... they will continue overplaying their hand, will abstain due to lack of an agreement, the tories pass the thing anyway, and we limp on for another month or two, probably with a new prime minister.

I wondered if some of the Tories would think further ahead and consider a "nuclear option" - whereby a swathe of Tories would conspire to vote against May, bring down the Government and allow a Corbyn minority government to take the flak for a year or two. They would then risk electoral destruction, allowing the Cons to say "see, we told you so" and sweep back in for many years afterwards.

Not sure how practical this would be in reality (particularly if a second election was called), and even if it was, if any influential Tory MPs would be strategic enough to think that long-term.

He doesn't necessarily need the numbers though: Labour's challenge to the tories (in the still unlikely event of them forming a minority government) is - support or abstain, or give us another election. Right now, I can't see them going for the election, so it'll be abstention.
Right, that makes sense. But if they abstain, what is to stop Corbyn from immediately dissolving parliament and calling another election? Corbyn supported the tories' call for a snap election. They can hardly fail to support his call for the same thing.

Right, that makes sense. But if they abstain, what is to stop Corbyn from immediately dissolving parliament and calling another election? Corbyn supported the tories' call for a snap election. They can hardly fail to support his call for the same thing.
2/3 house needed to call GE under FTPA

I wondered if some of the Tories would think further ahead and consider a "nuclear option" - whereby a swathe of Tories would conspire to vote against May, bring down the Government and allow a Corbyn minority government to take the flak for a year or two..
As I said above, I don't see how that works. How do they stop Corbyn from just calling another election? I know there's the fixed-term act thing, but we've already seen how little that is worth in reality.

By voting agin.
Which would be political suicide, surely. The reason they would be voting agin - the real reason - would be because they think they'd lose the election. But that would be the one reason they could never ever admit to in public.

In that situation, if I were Corbyn, I'd be tempted to get my mps to call for a vote of no-confidence, making very clear that you're doing this in order to get an election.

Which would be political suicide, surely. The reason they would be voting agin - the real reason - would be because they think they'd lose the election. But that would be the one reason they could never ever admit to in public.
Of course, but they'd say it was for the sake of national strength & stability or summat. They'd factor that after a few years folk would have forgotten their cowardice; better than an immediate drubbing.

Of course, but they'd say it was for the sake of national strength & stability or summat. They'd factor that after a few years folk would have forgotten their cowardice; better than an immediate drubbing.
I still don't see how they could sell that, particularly given that Corbyn agreed to their request for the same thing. To be seen to be turning down the chance to get into power? They'd be fucking themselves long-term as well as short-, imo, just as Corbyn would have done if he'd voted against the last election.

You can't be seen to be putting yourself into opposition on purpose, though. So I think the whole thing is a non-starter. If Corbyn tried a QS, it would be defeated.

You can't be seen to be putting yourself into opposition on purpose, though. So I think the whole thing is a non-starter. If Corbyn tried a QS, it would be defeated.

Probably... But unionist and some tory abstentions could swing it. Mind you there might be labour/SNP/Dem abstentions too.

they could. But wouldn't unless the polling gives them a huge lead (although... recent experience suggests they might be wary even then)

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean... Just in response to LBJ's idea of Corbyn trying to command a 2/3 majority. The tories wouldn't need to go along with that, and would know it puts him in a relatively strong position. In the event of a labour minority they may as well let him limp along until the time is right for a NC vote (i.e when they've sorted out their leadership and he's looking bad in the press).

it's what happened with the Labour minority government of 1974.
I didn't know that. Didn't work, though, did it? Also, looking it up, Labour were the biggest party, just, so a rather different situation. We've already had senior tories telling us that the public voted to reject Labour.

Last edited:
I didn't know that. Didn't work, though, did it? Also, looking it up, Labour were the biggest party, just, so a rather different situation. We've already had senior tories telling us that the public voted to reject Labour.
In a sense, it worked remarkably well; even a play about it!

You mean it led to the Thatcher years?

Personally I don't think it's right to see it like that. The causality isn't so clear.
No, not at all; i meant purely in the sense of parliamentary survival, which is really the only metric by which the MS parties view these things.

Back
Top Bottom