Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DUP and Tory f*ck up thread

Trying to get my head around the EVEL legislation passed by the Tories to stop a SNP/Labour coalition in 2015. So the DUP can't vote on English laws ,nor can Scottish and Welsh Tories or the SNP , PC , Scottish and Welsh Lib dem and Labour. :facepalm:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but looking at the numbers, EVEL will work out just how the Tories wanted it to :(

For legislation only affecting England and Wales, excluding Scots and NI MPs, the numbers are:

Con - 304
Lab - 255
LD - 8
Plaid - 4
Green - 1

So the tories would have a majority of 36

For legislation only affecting England, excluding Welsh MPs too, the numbers are:

Con - 296
Lab - 227
LD - 8
Green - 1

So the Tories would have a majority of 60.

Fuck the Tories. Although, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of fucking themselves at the moment :D

Sorry, I really am pretty ignorant about this stuff. Just to be clear, for marching season, they build these big bonfires and place the flags of places and people they don't like on them to be burned?

And DUP types all join in with this stuff enthusiastically, and will be doing so in just a few weeks' time with the whole of the UK media present to witness it?

It's already been on the media too but no notice whatsoever has been taken . Cultural expression .

In the interview he refers to nationalists doing the same in August with the union jack ..internment anniversary . There are to the best of my knowledge 2 such affairs, one in west Belfast and one in Derry that are very much ad hoc things organised solely by kids in 2 very disadvantaged areas . Pretty much everyone from shinners to " dissident " has asked these kids to stop doing it and tried to provide alternatives . On the unionist side these things are lit by the thousand . Some of them are even taxpayer funded . them being " culture " and all .

That is the " Good Friday Agreement " in action . Sectarianism is thoroughly institutionalised and aforded respectability . This is supposed to happen . It's not an aberration . Thanks Blair, thanks Hillary .

This makes them seem no worse than Lewis Bonfire Societies. Ian Paisley, the party's founder, played a major role in stoking up sectarian tension before 'the troubles' started. Taking a mob into the Catholic ghetto to rip down tricolours from the nationalist party's offices and similar theatrics. Throughout the conflict the party maintained and ambiguous relationship to loyalist paramilitaries, who began the cycle of violence: sometimes maintaining a plausibly deniable distance while getting very cosy with them when it suited both their purposes. The sectarian pageantry has some claims to date back to the late 18th century, but has been reinvented periodically since the late 19th century - when the protestant ascendancy began to play 'the orange card'* in response to the threat of home rule.

* Randolph Churchill - This is far from uncharted territory for the Conservative and Unionist Party

The good Friday agreement designates this stuff as culture . The situation has gotten so bad that today if you dare object to it you are attacking " Protestant culture " . It's you that's the intolerant bigot, not them . It's you infringing upon their human rights and displaying your bigotry and intolerance if you object to any of this . If you even remotely doubt this just go to YouTube and type in " orange human rights " .

And the way this rotten game works is that whenever a unionist politician attends one of these things the shinners make a noise about it . Call it disgraceful . Which gives them a handy distraction while implementing cuts and austerity...in cahoots with the very same bigots they've been complaining about . Pretending they oppose them and pointing to their excesses while at the same time doing business as usual with them and actively covering up their corruption on a number of occasions to keep the whole shit show afloat . While the DUP get to tell their guys their " Protestant culture " is under attack, the union undermined and everyone has to vote for them.

And now between the fucking 2 of them they've won every last parliamentary seat...apart from that one on millionaires row in Strangford . Were the rich tend to frown on all this stuff .

The British government designed it this way . This is supposed to happen . This is normality .

Sorry to rain on your parade, but looking at the numbers, EVEL will work out just how the Tories wanted it to :(

For legislation only affecting England and Wales, excluding Scots and NI MPs, the numbers are:

Con - 304
Lab - 255
LD - 8
Plaid - 4
Green - 1

For legislation only affecting England, excluding Welsh MPs too, the numbers are:

Con - 296
Lab - 227
LD - 8
Green - 1

Fuck the Tories. Although, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of fucking themselves at the moment :D
I had a feeling that might be the case but I have a feeling that law will get amended .

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't pallets usually still the actual property of the company that made them? (I guess kind of like the glass bottles you get when you have milk delivered) I find it hard to believe that they're all legitimately acquired.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't pallets usually still the actual property of the company that made them? (I guess kind of like the glass bottles you get when you have milk delivered) I find it hard to believe that they're all legitimately acquired.
I was on a union steward training course once and the guy from the Belfast branch (who was a well built Prod himself) said the lads come and get the pallets and there's nothing him or the management or the other workers could do about it.

Not really. You do get some like that (chep pallets) but about 99% of the ones that come through our warehouse at work don't involve any 3rd party ownership

Bet you find the fact that many of the Loyalist bonfirees are state/council funded/sponsored equally hard to get your head around. But they are.

They are just misunderstood. It's all a Taigy conspiracy y'see. They deliberately build houses close to bonfires just to give bad press.

Last edited:
Are you for real? Have you seen what happens to anyone who questions one of their 12th bonfires?

Con - 304
Lab - 255
LD - 8
Plaid - 4
Green - 1

Con - 296
Lab - 227
LD - 8
Green - 1

I'm starting to think the tories might last a full term....it will be a slow motion car crash, and they'll be busted at the end, but if they act disciplined they could make it over the line....

Wee vox-pop from work today. People knew who the DUP were but didn't know they were such a bunch of loonspuds. I would guess a fair few million like that in Britain today.

I knew they were fundmentalist bigots, it's the corruption on top I didn't know about. Don't think I'm alone.

They light the bonfires because apparently when King William of Orange landed in Ireland back in the day beacons were lit along Belfast Lough to help navigate the ships. Fast forward 300 years and they're used to display hatred and bigotry to anyone they don't like. There also seems to be competition between estates to see who can build the highest.

Last year someone's house went on fire because embers fell onto their roof and gutted the house. People living close to them have to board their windows up to stop them from breaking and just last month a 9 year old nearly died because someone left industrial waste at a site. They start building these things in like February and they are a blight to their communities and no one seems to give a fuck.

I was on a union steward training course once and the guy from the Belfast branch (who was a well built Prod himself) said the lads come and get the pallets and there's nothing him or the management or the other workers could do about it.

Also anecdotal but my brother-in-law told me that when they do sites in Belfast there's a certain amount put aside for when the local pillars of community come calling. There's always been local graft (my uncle grew up in a house held together with Harland and Wolff rivets) as there is anywhere, but them driving in trucks of pallets for a site that has no need for them is both hilarious and depressing.

Last edited:

Con - 304
Lab - 255
LD - 8
Plaid - 4
Green - 1

Con - 296
Lab - 227
LD - 8
Green - 1

Call me naive but why are the tories concerned about a loss of majority then? Other than perhaps their incredulity at the idea people might not vote for them as much as they should.

Call me naive but why are the tories concerned about a loss of majority then? Other than perhaps their incredulity at the idea people might not vote for them as much as they should.

They need an all uk majority to win a vote of confidence. Even after fixed term act that can still trigger an election (although it a little more complicated than before that act)

They need an all uk majority to win a vote of confidence. Even after fixed term act that can still trigger an election (although it a little more complicated than before that act)
what happens if she wins that; business as usual?

Back
Top Bottom