Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drag Queen Story Times picketed by protestors who claim that it grooms children and promotes paedophilia

Thread on it here from 12 years ago when Julie Burchill wrote about Drag Queens being like Black and White Minstrels: https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/drag-queens-are-like-the-black-and-white-minstrels.262938/

I agree with Edie's comment from that thread:
Well my opinion about Burchill hasn’t changed I’m pleased to say.

What I do notice from that thread and an earlier one https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/drag-queens-the-black-and-white-minstrels-of-misogyny.36319/ was a few posters who had been to drag performances saying they had encountered at some of them misogyny (along the lines of ‘ooh smells like fish’). There is also misogyny on display and mostly unchallenged on both of those threads btw.

Well my opinion about Burchill hasn’t changed I’m pleased to say.

What I do notice from that thread and an earlier one https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/drag-queens-the-black-and-white-minstrels-of-misogyny.36319/ was a few posters who had been to drag performances saying they had encountered at some of them misogyny (along the lines of ‘ooh smells like fish’). There is also misogyny on display and mostly unchallenged on both of those threads btw.
And transphobia :)

Which were the posts where the transphobia and misogyny not picked up, btw?

Aah Julie Burchill. Who used the womens euro victory as an excuse to attack trans people (from the front page of the daily Mail)
See also the not-so subtle headline in yesterday's Telegraph shoehorning trans people into the fact that Nick Cohen's being investigated over sexual harassment allegations going back years. Had absolutely nothing to do with trans people, and they didn't even go on to say what the allegations were about, just "allegations."

Why are they so fucking thick though? The ones at the forefront, the ones on camera. Shayne what’s his name. Is it a double double double bluff.

Is also bizarre how people don't even think to fact-check the most basic things when they align with their prejudices e.g. the meaning of brown stripe in the progress flag.

What did they say it was for?

I saw somewhere it was something to do with brown gay people, which sort of implies the “gay” bit doesn’t obviously cover them, which seems kind of dumb.

Last edited:
goggle says this about the brown stripe

The colors black and brown were added to the Progress Pride Flag to represent people of color (POC). This was an important addition because people of color have often been left out of the queer narrative despite being the driving force behind the movement.

The colors black and brown were added to the Progress Pride Flag to represent people of color (POC). This was an important addition because people of color have often been left out of the queer narrative despite being the driving force behind the movement.

Not really sure how to deal with that.
Is that an accusation of racism towards the gay liberation movement?

What did they say it was for?

I saw somewhere it was something to do with brown gay people, which sort of implies the “gay” bit doesn’t obviously cover them, which seems kind of dumb.
The claimed it was for scat fetishism.

Really? I thought the brown stripe represented the Bear community? i.e. husky men with body hair, not furries or actual bears.

No, your right I know nothing about my own children .... what was I thinking!
I remember the video to Sweet Dreams came out when I was 5 and seeing Annie Lennox with that suit and orange haircut was really significant. In a way I didn’t have any words for, so I didn’t verbalise it to anyone.

There are a couple of parallels with Islamophobia imo:

- to say drag is unrelated to being gay -- and therefore criticism of it cannot be homophobic -- is the same as saying "criticizing Islam cannot be racist because Islam is a religion". Not to say there are never any legitimate criticisms of either, but....

- any legitimate issues (misogyny/homophobia) have to be solved (and are being solved) by people within the communities, not ignorant people from outside the communities.

- they are both not a simple fixed idea that remains the same over space and time. They are massively complex schemas whose meaning varies from place to place, person to person, culture to culture, and constantly evolving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom