Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do angry vegans turn you against going vegan?

There was an article in the daily mail recently about a slightly stoned family in Alaska. 100 miles from habitation. Shoot one moose / year. Lasts.

(They did also have 2yrs worth of tinned food. But it's apparently moose every night.)
That sounds totally legit, seeing as they live 100 miles from the nearest ocado delivery van.

Last edited:
There was an article in the daily mail recently about a slightly stoned family in Alaska. 100 miles from habitation. Shoot one moose / year. Lasts.

(They did also have 2yrs worth of tinned food. But it's apparently moose every night.)

We're going to have to rediscover on a global scale these sustainable forms of survival - and start looking at food as survival again in the first place - because once the real horrors of climate change come later this century we won't know what's fucking hit us.

The whole not eating food I like and having to eat food which was unappetizing. I'm sure someone can make tofu taste good I failed. Can't think of one vegan meal I would choose to eat over a conventional meal.

I actually like tofu. And Quorn. But on their own merits. I think only artificially-grown meat will have what it takes to truly replace real animal flesh.

This thing about 'it doesn't taste good' is pretty feeble though. I stopped eating meat on principle, quite young, and yes, I ate bland, repetitive, if not revolting food for some years (because my family did not share my principle). Then I was 18 more interested in amphetamine than cuisine for a good few years. But eventually I learned to cook and I believe I eat very tasty food - including tofu because I know what to do with it and don't treat it as some sort of meat substitute. If you don't *want* to be a vegetarian enough to stick with it till you work out how to cook (or where to eat) good food, I'm not judging you for it, but don't kid yourself it's because it can't be as good - that's just an excuse.

I have had some interesting discussions with vegans recently about where they stand on eating insects.

I'm not very bothered about being vegan, I like dairy products too much, but I'm probably 80% veggie and rarely cook with meat.

The+Hot+Chick+(2002)+Bluray+720p+BRRip+750MB+%5BViet+Sub%5D1.jpg

I read that and wondered where they got their weed.

I actually like tofu. And Quorn. But on their own merits. I think only artificially-grown meat will have what it takes to truly replace real animal flesh.
opens up the possibility for u-burgers. Where the meat eats itself!

probably an unsustainable gimmick but it will have niche pop up value

We're going to have to rediscover on a global scale these sustainable forms of survival - and start looking at food as survival again in the first place - because once the real horrors of climate change come later this century we won't know what's fucking hit us.
I'm a massive pessimist about this, I see a future of the continued sale of completely unsustainable food for those who can afford it whilst everyone else slowly incrementally starves. :(

I couldn't give a toss what others eat so long as they don't bother or judge me. I don't really get veganism as it's always seemed to me to just be vegetarianism on crack, but each to their own.

opens up the possibility for u-burgers. Where the meat eats itself!

probably an unsustainable gimmick but it will have niche pop up value

I'd definitely give it a try, but maybe I'm just morbid.

As for the ownleather jacket, as long as it comes in black...

I couldn't give a toss what others eat so long as they don't bother or judge me. I don't really get veganism as it's always seemed to me to just be vegetarianism on crack, but each to their own.

Yeah, but. Homegrown, free-range crack. Get twatted with a clear conscience.

Didn't we learn from that Peak Oil nonsense that used to be popular among apocalypse fans, that the world isn't about to turn into Mad Max any time soon?

Expanding your skill-set is always a good idea. :)

Even putting aside the fact that I live in a second-floor flat and can't afford an allotment, I can't even look after a house plant without the poor thing becoming a sad little collection of withered grey leaves. As for hunting, I live in Berkshire. The wild animals that do exist here and which aren't protected, could easily fit onto a cocktail stick.

Even putting aside the fact that I live in a second-floor flat and can't afford an allotment, I can't even look after a house plant without the poor thing becoming a sad little collection of withered grey leaves. As for hunting, I live in Berkshire. The wild animals that do exist here and which aren't protected, could easily fit onto a cocktail stick.

I'm not suggesting you go out and wrest your food from the earth. To each their own.

(I will say that you'd be shocked (Shocked! I tell you!) at the number of plants that end up in urban landscaping that are edible. Again not suggesting you do anything of the sort.)

Last edited:
My allotment is 38 pounds a year. They usually have to chase me for the money cos thats like four bags almost

The idea of tofu and seaweed being served as an alternative to fish and chips genuinely makes me angry :D

Make all the arguments about veganism you want - talk about animal rights, environmental impact, health, whatever the fuck you like. Stick to arguments that are credible. But by the very definition of what you're doing you are making meals less interesting and restricting tastes available to you, so don't bloody well come out with crap along the lines of "oh but the food is just as good". Because it isn't.

You make fish and chips with a fucking fish. There's a clue in the name. Do it right and even the chips are a vegan no go area.

The idea of tofu and seaweed being served as an alternative to fish and chips genuinely makes me angry :D

Make all the arguments about veganism you want - talk about animal rights, environmental impact, health, whatever the fuck you like. Stick to arguments that are credible. But by the very definition of what you're doing you are making meals less interesting and restricting tastes available to you, so don't bloody well come out with crap along the lines of "oh but the food is just as good". Because it isn't.

You make fish and chips with a fucking fish. There's a clue in the name. Do it right and even the chips are a vegan no go area.

No. I stick by the vegan "fish"/phish and chips. Just as good. Vegan chorizo? Not as good but good enough. Vegan ice cream is better. Vegan duck pancakes. Not as good. Burgers? Just as good. Curries? Better. Vegan sausage rolls? Better. Steaks and omelettes? Not as good. Vegan bacon. Not as good. Vegan biscuits just as good. Vegan jelly sweets not as good but good enough...

Back
Top Bottom