Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Demand a seven day parliament

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
I see the government wants gps available seven days a week. But this principle doesn't go far enough. Libraries, hospitals and indeed shopping centres are open seven days a week. But parliament spends around a third of the year closed, meaning councillors and MEPs have to take up a burden which should be borne by MPs. And with brexit rapidly approaching there will be no more UK MEPs. Theresa May must act now and open parliament seven days a week from 1000 to 2000, while the contracts of MPs must be reviewed so they have a comparable amount of annual leave to other public sector employees. As Britain leaves the EU demand for legislation is expected to soar, to take up the burden formerly carried by the European parliament etc. We must insist our MPs do what they're paid for and end the part-time nature of our parliament.

But they would have to find things to do during the longer working time, that would mean them meddling in more and more stuff, is that what you really want? Surely it would be better if they went to a 3 day week and were closed/on holiday for two thirds of the year.

When Belgium had no government for 589 days during 2010/11 no one noticed and the country kept going, let that be an example to all :thumbs:

But they would have to find things to do during the longer working time, that would mean them meddling in more and more stuff, is that what you really want? Surely it would be better if they went to a 3 day week and were closed/on holiday for two thirds of the year.

When Belgium had no government for 589 days during 2010/11 no one noticed and the country kept going, let that be an example to all :thumbs:
This is ostensibly attractive, but MPs currently don't spend enough time in the Commons, as you can see on TV. By increasing the time available for debate and enforcing attendance the rigour of the parliamentary process will be improved and there should be fewer shitty laws. If they want a 3 day week their pay should be pro rata.

This is ostensibly attractive, but MPs currently don't spend enough time in the Commons, as you can see on TV. By increasing the time available for debate and enforcing attendance the rigour of the parliamentary process will be improved and there should be fewer shitty laws. If they want a 3 day week their pay should be pro rata.
Do you really think there would be more debate leading to better laws or just more time spent in their subsidized bars ;)

I'm thinking that the cold has got to you, Have to taken too much night-nurse? I really can't believe you want MP's doing more.

Editor take note I think Pickman's model account has been hacked

I see the government wants gps available seven days a week. But this principle doesn't go far enough. Libraries, hospitals and indeed shopping centres are open seven days a week. But parliament spends around a third of the year closed, meaning councillors and MEPs have to take up a burden which should be borne by MPs. And with brexit rapidly approaching there will be no more UK MEPs. Theresa May must act now and open parliament seven days a week from 1000 to 2000, while the contracts of MPs must be reviewed so they have a comparable amount of annual leave to other public sector employees. As Britain leaves the EU demand for legislation is expected to soar, to take up the burden formerly carried by the European parliament etc. We must insist our MPs do what they're paid for and end the part-time nature of our parliament.

Do you not think they do enough damage, in the time they currently sit?

Do you really think there would be more debate leading to better laws or just more time spent in their subsidized bars ;)

I'm thinking that the cold has got to you, Have to taken too much night-nurse? I really can't believe you want MP's doing more.

The trend has been away from workplace bars elsewhere in the economy and I would expect these bars to be turned into areas for other activities than drinking. Gyms perhaps. With the advent of facial recognition MPs' presence or absence in the chamber, ie at work, can be easily and effectively monitored. This would allow parliamentary authorities to sanction those MPs who do not regularly present themselves in the hoc.

More travelling costs ie returning daily for 7 days. More meals every day; 5 instead of 3, more for researchers as they would have to work longer and harder.

The trend has been away from workplace bars elsewhere in the economy and I would expect these bars to be turned into areas for other activities than drinking. Gyms perhaps. With the advent of facial recognition MPs' presence or absence in the chamber, ie at work, can be easily and effectively monitored. This would allow parliamentary authorities to sanction those MPs who do not regularly present themselves in the hoc.

I would also expect MPs to be banned from drinking while working and, where a pattern of previous drinking on the job can be shown, to be subject to testing.

Do you not think they do enough damage, in the time they currently sit?
If you think we should live in a piddling part-time democracy where our doctors work longer hours than the people elected to run the country then don't work to improve things. Let the cosseted cunts continue as they are. But allow those of us who believe in democracy, who believe in a fair day's wage for a fair day's work, and who believe we have been poorly served by our MPs to campaign for a full time democratic system

More travelling costs ie returning daily for 7 days. More meals every day; 5 instead of 3, more for researchers as they would have to work longer and harder.

Commuting and meal costs will not be claimable on expenses. More researchers is all to the good.

I would also expect MPs to be banned from drinking while working and, where a pattern of previous drinking on the job can be shown, to be subject to testing.
They shouldn't need to be banned, they should know not to do it! Making National and International changing decisions having been drinking :confused:

For a proper 7 day coverage we would need more MPs. At least 1500 if they worked on a 4 on 4 off basis & to cover holidays as well. Otherwise it's a goer. I would aim for 24/7 coverage though same as police & NHS. For that we would need at least 2500 MPs.

Why can't we have the same number of MP's or fewer even and they simply work longer hours. It is not too much to ask. Is it?
Let's establish the seven day principle first, then explore the details. But if there's 650 MPs on about £68k each you could easily have people doing a job share at £34k each

They expect their pounds worth out of us one way or another! And as for more MP's, by comparison to other countries we already have far too many and also having more would only add to the mess, the cock ups, the scandals...

I strongly suspect that the plan is that a full-time Parliament will lead, in short order, to the majority of MPs revealing themselves to be inept, corrupt or lazy, or combinations thereof.

Back
Top Bottom