Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

With a few obvious exceptions, the spatial pattern of this 'second wave' appears to be devastating the former coalfields; maybe should be known as the Thatcher wave?

View attachment 232452
That is a tiny bit misleading - the case rates in urban / coalfield Northumberland are very much higher than they are in the rural areas. It is unfair to lump the areas together like that.
On Tyneside it seems to be the "student" areas that have the higher rates - Heaton, Jesmond/Sandyford and so on - a bit like Warwick, around the University.

Definite N/S divide in GL showing with the outer Southern boroughs showing significantly lower infection rates than the rest of the capital. Maybe the curse of the tube desert is yielding an unexpected benefit, for once?

On the other hand my mum and I had covid in March (confirmed with antibodies test) and I rang 999 with very scary heart symptoms, chills and shortness of breath, several people spoke to me over the course of the night and told me that based on what I'd said I didn't need to go hospital but to call if it gets worse. They were really reassuring and explained that it caused that symptom in a lot of people and were very understanding about how scary it was. I'm glad that I wasn't taken to hospital then tbh

When I had swineflu they decided not to admit me to hospital on the basis of it being more dangerous for me and others, but said they would have if I'd lived alone. Living alone does make a difference to how easily you can call for help if symptoms worsen and in my case staying at home was better because I still had to help look after my daughter even if it was just by writing things on a whiteboard to tell my ex where the school uniform was and how to use the washing machine.

But if the symptoms were similar to a heart attack they should admit you anyway, or at the very fucking least assess you in an ambulance.

It scared the absolute shit out of me because I'd had chest pains going on for two days, shortness of breath when I stood up etc. I didn't really cough much though and I had a bit of a temperature which disappeared with lemsip. My sense of taste completely disappeared at one point and was very 'weird' on and off even after I'd recovered.

Last edited:

And now

More than 170 people at a meat processing plant in Cornwall have tested positive for Covid-19.
Hundreds of staff were tested at the food factory in Pool, a village near Redruth.
Most of the positive cases at the Pilgrim's Pride meat plant were asymptomatic, according to the local public health team.

The company says it has introduced additional measures and checks its compliance with Covid-19 controls on a daily basis.

Of course you do but it's a bit fucking late now isn't it? :mad:

Ive seen some of the shit they cover up in those sort of places working on installations in the past and the way they pay people zero hours 12 hour shifts little and missed breaks most the staff on the production lines too scared to spend too much time in the toilet for fear of not hitting targets arriving ill but covering it up else they get sent home , not being called back the next day etc never mind having a fortnight off to self isolate.

Very very little hygiene when there should be the most probably when processing chilled wet meat not frozen in a cold environment and little chance of keeping 1 mtr away

Luckily I got away from installing stuff in food factories but it doesnt surprise me if there is a massive cover up
There has been a fair few factories now that process chilled meat for the big takeaway companies with many cases when eventually tested and I expect the fast food companies know what goes on and thats why they shutdown very fast in March :mad:
Its probably why many have the actual production floors underground far away from visiting CEOs and management etc as in the damp floor photo they've used , always cold and wet but rarely that clean or quiet :(

Pilgrim's Pride supplies big chicken fast food companies big supermarket chains and processed chicken production is by far the fastest work environment Ive ever seen too very little downtime is allowed for maintenance

Meat industry Covid cases at UK food factories could be over 30 times higher than reported Investigation warns employers have too much influence over official data amid claims of fake safety audits

Last edited:

And now
Seems like same company Pilgrim's Pride have previous in US too :mad:
I think by now all the US chicken production companies are probably connected anyway and all operate the same

COVID-19 pandemic
Main article: Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the meat industry in the United States

In late April, 2020, an outbreak of COVID-19 began at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Lufkin, Texas.[19] On May 8, a worker at the Lufkin plant was found dead in her home after being diagnosed with Covid-19.[20] After the West Virginia National Guard conducted coronavirus tests of 520 (out of 940) workers at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, West Virginia, 18 workers tested positive.[21] By May 11, 194 Covid-19 cases had been diagnosed among workers at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Cold Spring, Minnesota, which employs about 1,100 workers. That same day, 75 to 85 cars filled with workers drove around the plant, honking horns and demanding over a loudspeaker that it be closed for two weeks. [22] At least one worker has tested positive at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and other workers have tested positive at the company's plant in Timberville, Virginia, where dozens of workers protested in early April, although the company has declined to release the number of cases there.[23]

Last edited:
Just to check something...

Whitty apparently stated that 15% of tests were positive. So if 7000 tested positive I make that the total tests were around 46000.

My understanding is we are testing 200-250k per day?

Whitty apparently stated that 15% of tests were positive. So if 7000 tested positive I make that the total tests were around 46000.

I think the % testing +ve varies a lot in different areas & 15% was the highest.

That wasn't 15% across the board though was it, wasn't it only as high as 15% in some specific groups?

Are they people tested or tests carried out? They were initially at least counting each person tested as two tests carried out, like each pair of gloves was counted as 2 pieces of PPE.
Surely they should just count the results sent out or released?

Surely they should just count the results sent out or released?

They did count the results sent out (again initially, I don't know about now) but that was wildly inaccurate too because they just sent out thousands of tests including doubled up ones which were never returned. Number of people successfully tested you'd think would be the figure they'd want to track.

They did count the results sent out (again initially, I don't know about now) but that was wildly inaccurate too because they just sent out thousands of tests including doubled up ones which were never returned. Number of people successfully tested you'd think would be the figure they'd want to track.
I meant the results of processed tests. (or people successfully tested :thumbs: )

The latest analysis, of swab samples collected between 19 and 26 September, suggests the R number has fallen to about 1.1 - although the precise figure is uncertain.

The researchers said it was the first hint that measures such as the "rule of six", and heightened public concern about coronavirus, "may be having an impact on transmission".

Yes, I saw that and at first thought it was some Nick Triggle weirdness but as its not it's potentially good news. This being said given the amount of measures that are in place both nationally and locally you would hope it would be having a positive impact otherwise whats the point?

Back
Top Bottom