Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Just one example for now, the most recent one I know of.

Tameside hospital outbreak got a few articles in their local press and a Guardian article or two. Where was the in depth digging, the follow-up articles or the rise of this story up the headlines?

Examples of articles at the time (a few weeks ago now):

And where was the coverage of things said in SAGE or NERVTAG about NHS England policies regarding segregation of Covid and non-covid patients?

I think I have seen a pattern of several hospital-related aspects of this pandemic rarely being touched with a bargepole by our press. I suspect there are issues there which are considered sensitive, and this area of reporting is managed in some way. It might be as simple as health correspondents having lots of professional contacts who will emphasise the enormous potential damage that stems from people being too afraid to go to hospitals, and this causes them to hold back on certain sensitive angles. Maybe there is more to it, I dont know. I certainly seem to have a different attitude about what would actually constitute responsible reporting in this area than many of the 'pros' have exhibited in this pandemic so far.

NHS staff have largely been forgotten by the press in recent months too. Like various issues of shielding those thought to be at risk due to health conditions, this stuff has dropped off the radar in an alarming manner, and many stories are covered in isolation, driven by that days news agenda and the latest turn of events rather than the big picture.

Any NHS people know what the PPE situation is now? So back in march there was proper PPE. We didnt have that so they changed the definition of PPE to bin bags and ball gags or whatever. Are staff getting appropriate PPE now and are there stocks to get through winter?

Johnson must read U75, he just addressed PPE in the daily briefing. Billions of items (probably all left hand gloves...) and UK to manufacture a much higher percentage of PPE needed.

No, doesn't look like it in this briefing. Whitty speaking now, then Vallance. No more new support is expected though afaik?

Johnson must read U75, he just addressed PPE in the daily briefing. Billions of items (probably all left hand gloves...) and UK to manufacture a much higher percentage of PPE needed.

TBF, from what I am hearing from both a local care home owner, who's in contact with many others, and people I know working at the local hospital, both have plenty PPE.

I wish he'd stop the facade that everything is rosy and the NHS is 'open for business'. It isn't.
Two friends, both who ordinarily have 3 monthly hospital check ups following a cancer diagnosis, have had their appointments changed to phone interviews since March (2 each).
A phone call instead of a physical examination. That isn't 'open for business'.

I wish he'd stop the facade that everything is rosy and the NHS is 'open for business'. It isn't.
Two friends, both who ordinarily have 3 monthly hospital check ups following a cancer diagnosis, have had their appointments changed to phone interviews since March (2 each).

It is open, it's just adapted. A risk assessment would have been done and decided that a phone consultation is safer for them and the staff. They might not like it an be anxious and worried, but NHS staff will have a better idea of what's better to do than they do tbh.

Agreed but that was as likely a message to the NHS as well.

It is open, it's just adapted. A risk assessment would have been done and decided that a phone consultation is safer for them and the staff. They might not like it an be anxious and worried, but NHS staff will have a better idea of what's better to do than they do tbh.
Why make a point of singling out cancer as something they are 'open for', it is deliberately giving a false impression. But no suprise there. Physical examinations and scans are being cancelled and not rescheduled in some areas, would have been a truthful, but less palatable message.

Hohoho. I get my first post treatment appts in 7 months tomorrow. Getting a call asking if you have any lumps is no substitute for an examination.

Back
Top Bottom