Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I've said before that I consider it to be a partial red herring though, because I think that their influenza planning would also have been a poor fit for a really bad influenza pandemic, and dont get me started on funding priorities over many years.

Yes their own planning found that we were woefully unprepared for a flu outbreak and had they addressed that we would have had more ventitlators, more PPE, more contact tracing protocols ready to go.

These companies always fail at everything and always get more work because they cut the most corners and put in the lowest bids. Fucking sorry state of affairs, and entirely predictable of course.

People hired to contact those exposed to someone with Covid-19 and advise them to self-isolate have reported spending days just trying to log into the online system, and virtual training sessions that left participants unclear about their roles.

New contact tracers have been told to rely on a two-page script and a list of frequently asked questions, both seen by the Guardian. When one taking part in a training session, run by contact centre company Sitel, asked for guidance on how to speak with somebody whose loved one had died of coronavirus, they were reportedly told to look at YouTube videos on the topic.

Rightly getting shitloads of flack

A multi-academy trust has come under fire for sending an email about reopening schools that focuses on its risk of legal action rather than safety.

In the message, the Midsomer Norton Schools Partnership chief executive tells his heads about two pieces of news that "should give us all comfort".

Alun Williams writes that lawyers have said that the schools and trust "would not be liable for prosecution if someone contracted the virus while schools were open".

"Additionally," he continues, "it would be hard to prove that you had picked the virus up on a school site!!"

If it's good enough for Trump...

A source with knowledge of the contract said the drug was being bought in bulk so that if it proves to be effective as a treatment there is a ready supply. “All of the drugs being purchased can be used to treat other conditions too so they don’t really go to waste if they aren’t proved effective for Covid,” the source said.

Other drugs being bought as part of the £35m contract include 1.4m tablets of lopinavir-ritonavir, which is used to treat people who are HIV positive; dexamethasone as an oral solution; and 20m azithromycin capsules in packs of up to six.

A Whitehall source said the purchase of hydroxychloroquine was related to current clinical trials to evaluate it as a treatment for people with Covid-19, adding that it should only be taken on prescription or as part of a controlled clinical trial.

Conclusions Hydroxychloroquine has received worldwide attention as a potential treatment for covid-19 because of positive results from small studies. However, the results of this study do not support its use in patients admitted to hospital with covid-19 who require oxygen.

Assuming it really is true that they won’t go to waste once they are inevitably found to be useless against COVID-19, it actually makes good sense to bulk buy them before they run out. It’s sensible preparation. If they have a use-by date that is likely to be too short to allow them to be useful, however, it’s less obviously a good move.

She couldn’t finish the course, incidentally, because of the danger generated by the side effects. This is not a trivial drug.

Aye, and its not even especially effective against Malaria. I've been prescribed it twice and also gave up taking it both times. Horrible drug and Malaria seemed like a better option quite frankly.

We're certainly protected if there's an outbreak of malaria in Croydon. Also I hope we're not buying up so much that countries needing it to actually treat malaria can't get it.

I don't know whether its a treatment for Malaria. I believe its used more as an anti-malarial or at least that was how it was when I was prescribed it. You take it for a couple of weeks before going to a Malaria zone and then all the time you are there and for a couple of weeks afterwards.* Certainly its not practical for anyone living in a Malarial zone, then again it might be part of treatment for those who contract it.

* Which is in keeping with how Trump is apparently using it.

I see Superdrug has started flogging antibody tests. Seems a tad opportunistic.

They’re claiming 100% specificity - I didn’t think any tests had that (though some have 100% sensitivity)

“The results of our antibody test kit are 97.5% sensitive. This means that for nearly everyone who takes the test, the results will be correct. It is possible for you to have a coronavirus infection and recover without your body making antibodies, or by making a type of antibody not included in this test.

The test will never give a ‘false positive’ result – there’s no way it will say that you have COVID-19 antibodies if you do not have them”

I went around four parks today and they were all rammed, with loads of people gathering in big groups. One bloke even thought to start up a big, extra-smokey barbecue in Ruskin Park!

Elsewhere, a Brixton fast food vendor was absolutely jammed full of people inside, with no one making the slightest effort at social distancing. The risk to staff and other customers must have been unacceptably high. It's clearly not good to see this going on, but I'm curious what you lot would do. Would you report it?

(*also posted in the Brixton forum)

Back
Top Bottom