Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

On the one hand I think there are a lot of 20 somethings in london who are furloughed or working from home and perhaps taking annual leave who are not going to see their parents or grandparents any time soon so good luck to them. Mingle with your other 20 something mates. Go for it. But on the other hand remember not everyone is a healthy 20 something or is already at quite enough contact risk through their work and respect that please. Keep up your social distancing from everyone else.

Hang on a minute.

A group of 20 year-olds mingle, one has C-19, passes it to a number of others, and you don't think any of those would go onto a crowded bus or tube, spreading it further. and potentially killing people?

Britain sold a government bond with a negative yield for the first time on Wednesday, meaning the government is effectively being rewarded for borrowing after investors agreed to be repaid slightly less than they lent.

While investors will receive annual interest of 0.75%, they paid above face value for the bond so the cash return will be less than they have lent if they hold the debt to maturity.

The negative yield does not mean all buyers will lose money, as some may be hoping the bond’s price will rise further and they can sell it on, said Marc Ostwald, strategist at ADM Investor Services.

FFS, I can see another peak coming soon in London, because of the behaviour of these sort of idiots.

And, if it does, I think everything & everyone within the M25 should be lockdown, to stop the spread to the more civilised parts of the country.
You act as if this stuff is just happening in London when it very clearly isn’t.

Beaches and other popular destinations are seeing a huge increase in visitors.

I know that lots of people around here are having parties, going to each other’s houses etc

I’m sure there are shops that aren’t managing safe distancing but I’m not really going out so won’t see it.

Get people back to work.

See what impact lifting the lockdown has on the r-value during the relatively benign Summer months.

But done with the ability to shift blame onto the public if it goes tits up.
I’d call that relaxing the lockdown rather than ending it, but I see what you mean.

Yep.

As intended.
Indeed and they know you can't say 'get back to work... we want the schools back... you can meet one other person outside your house... have as much exercise as you want' + assorted other 'nudges' without cracks breaking out allover. There could be a strategy of 'we need you to go work, we need as much of the economy to restart and we need schools back in some shape or form... however, we've got to remain rock solid on social distancing, conduct in shops, not going to beaches etc'. I don't think that would work, but they are not even trying to shore up the social distancing. In 6 weeks we'll be back to something like normal life, minus gigs, mass sporting events etc. There'll still be a strategy of protecting NHS capacity, but ultimately it's back too herd immunity ('protecting the NHS' is of course consistent with herd immunity). A few peaks and troughs, lots of local trends, but ultimately a case of living with who knows, a couple of hundred publicly acknowledged deaths a week for the next year.

Indeed and they know you can't say 'get back to work... we want the schools back... you can meet one other person outside your house... have as much exercise as you want' + assorted other 'nudges' without cracks breaking out allover. There could be a strategy of 'we need you to go work, we need as much of the economy to restart and we need schools back in some shape or form... however, we've got to remain rock solid on social distancing, conduct in shops, not going to beaches etc'. I don't think that would work, but they are not even trying to shore up the social distancing. In 6 weeks we'll be back to something like normal life, minus gigs, mass sporting events etc. There'll still be a strategy of protecting NHS capacity, but ultimately it's back too herd immunity ('protecting the NHS' is of course consistent with herd immunity). A few peaks and troughs, lots of local trends, but ultimately a case of living with who knows, a couple of hundred publicly acknowledged deaths a week for the next year.
couple of hundred a day more likely

With Brighton beach I can't say I was shocked...London (or at least around Brixton) wasn't much better with people being mindful about it either. Cycling around yesterday it felt like some Saturday summer evening too. Slade Gardens was packed around 6pm. I just reminded myself that so long as I vigilantly continue to keep a few metres apart and keep my hands washed as much as possible I'm looking after myself. If many other individuals want to ruin their own health and those around them we're completely powerless to do anything and have simply come to accept it. Seems humanity never truly learns from history which is ever-continuing pattern.

No. I quite specifically didnt say that.

I know you didn't say that, I was asking a question.

If you think it's OK for groups of people in their 20's to mingle, don't you think at least some of those would later get onto crowded buses & tubes?

Because, I am bloody sure they would, and there rests the problem.

You act as if this stuff is just happening in London when it very clearly isn’t.

Beaches and other popular destinations are seeing a huge increase in visitors.

I know that lots of people around here are having parties, going to each other’s houses etc

I’m sure there are shops that aren’t managing safe distancing but I’m not really going out so won’t see it.

I was referring to London, because I was replying to a post about London. It's also a particular problem because of the shear number of people, the population density, and the massive use of over crowded public transport, hence why it became the main epicenter at the start, and also why we should have gone into lockdown earlier. And, of course, once it starts spreading in London, it spreads out to the commuter belt & beyond.

I am sure there're other places where this is happening, luckily not around here, which is ironic considering it's such a low risk area compared to London, personally I would be a hell of a lot more worried about this if I lived London.

And, yes beaches are getting busier, ours certainly is, but still nothing like usual, as people are being discouraged by the car-parks & public loos still being closed. This, of course, is all down to the floppy hair twat relaxing restrictions at least a couple of weeks too early, preventing the police from turning back out of area visitors, which had been working well.

With Brighton beach I can't say I was shocked...London (or at least around Brixton) wasn't much better with people being mindful about it either. Cycling around yesterday it felt like some Saturday summer evening too. Slade Gardens was packed around 6pm. I just reminded myself that so long as I vigilantly continue to keep a few metres apart and keep my hands washed as much as possible I'm looking after myself. If many other individuals want to ruin their own health and those around them we're completely powerless to do anything and have simply come to accept it. Seems humanity never truly learns from history which is ever-continuing pattern.

I think we’re all going to have to become far more proactive about taking care of our own health. not just washing our hands and being careful in public, but also in terms of our diet and nutrition, exercise, weight, and all the other things that so many of us tend to be complacent about.

I think we’re all going to have to become far more proactive about taking care of our own health. not just washing our hands and being careful in public, but also in terms of our diet and nutrition, exercise, weight, and all the other things that so many of us tend to be complacent about.

Agreed. Because I was unable to go to the gym I sorted out more equipment and since being furloughed from work have kept fit from home and by going for runs or cycling. Diet-wise I tend to quite healthily anyway with lots of fibre and fruit. I used to get really concerned about others I care about not doing the same for themselves, but as you said we can only be proactive for own protection and well-being.

One of my things is a distrust of authority. And when it became apparent in Jan/Feb that this was gonna be a big thing then yeah I stocked up with bog roll, food and medicines hoping that staying at home for 3 months would do it. Now it seems to be set in for a long one and distrust of gov. is now for me at an all time high. My priorities are to me and mine of course, so having enough fuel in the banger to get to my poor old parents or to rescue the kid if i need to is, along with still being stuck at home, what my world is. Im lucky to be able to do this and not be forced to go to work, but it will gobble up my savings and retirement fund. Still better to be alive and poor than dead and gone. Hope I'm wrong and it'll all be over by xmas... I'd love to go to the beach, but that can wait.

My village was once again properly rammed with day trippers this weekend past. Car parks all full, people milling about outside the shop, wandering four-abreast on paths and not moving aside, the works.
I think that lots of villages in the Dales and the Lakes are keeping public toilets and tourist carparks closed. They are trying to keep them unattractive to visitors. Hopefully it's working.

Wilf said:
ultimately a case of living with who knows, a couple of hundred publicly acknowledged deaths a week for the next year.

weltweit said:
couple of hundred a day more likely

And for far longer than a year. This could become the new normal.

But apart from all that, everything's going to be great! ;) :p

Pisstaking aside, I do get the serious points here.
But I've added a bolded underline to SheilaNaGig 's 'could', and emphasised a couple of other bits above as well.

Not through complacency, nor because I'm challenging the possibilities, but because I think that psychologically at least, there are almost as many dangers of over-pessimisticly assuming the worst as in over-complacently assuming things will be OK soon.

I agree that signals at the moment are very far from positive, but some talk on here sometimes comes dangerously close to (seeming to) assume that 'all this' will be permanent, never-ending even! :(

Back
Top Bottom