Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I think that lots of villages in the Dales and the Lakes are keeping public toilets and tourist carparks closed. They are trying to keep them unattractive to visitors. Hopefully it's working.
They tried keeping car parks closed but people just parked all along the side verges instead, which is even worse. The opening of the car parks is an admission of defeat, basically.

With Brighton beach I can't say I was shocked...London (or at least around Brixton) wasn't much better with people being mindful about it either. Cycling around yesterday it felt like some Saturday summer evening too. Slade Gardens was packed around 6pm. I just reminded myself that so long as I vigilantly continue to keep a few metres apart and keep my hands washed as much as possible I'm looking after myself. If many other individuals want to ruin their own health and those around them we're completely powerless to do anything and have simply come to accept it. Seems humanity never truly learns from history which is ever-continuing pattern.

If you're keeping social distances and generally being sensible, what's wrong with sitting in a park? What evidence there is seems to show that there's very low risk of getting infected outdoors in general, it's proximity, duration and enclosed airspace that seems key (eg The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them) - and, given the age profile of those who are dying (overwhelmingly elderly and/or already ill), this applies even more so to young and healthy people.

They tried keeping car parks closed but people just parked all along the side verges instead, which is even worse. The opening of the car parks is an admission of defeat, basically.
Best case Ive seen for Cockneyrebels Workers Defence Squads for some time. The Communist Party in Alentejo has issued a statement to people from Lisbon and Porto to stay away from the area.

the admission of defeat was the guidance changing to allow people to drive any distance to sunbathe/exercise. You can't really blame people for acting within current guidelines. You can blame them for parking illegally or unsafely though I guess.

If you're keeping social distances and generally being sensible, what's wrong with sitting in a park? What evidence there is seems to show that there's very low risk of getting infected outdoors in general, it's proximity, duration and enclosed airspace that seems key (eg The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them) - and, given the age profile of those who are dying (overwhelmingly elderly and/or already ill), this applies even more so to young and healthy people.
By daughter and sister and nephew live in Brighton. It's packed and the streets being narrow mean they get forced into the road by crowds of drunks on the pavements.

By daughter and sister and nephew live in Brighton. It's packed and the streets being narrow mean they get forced into the road by crowds of drunks on the pavements.

Unless they get directly sneezed on or coughed on, the outdoor risks are still very low (as far as the evidence I've read suggests). Where track and trace has been done, almost all infections* have come about where people have spent prolonged time in confined spaces with infected people - public transport, restaurants etc. Meat packers in the US have very high rates partly for the confined spaces/long periods thing but exacerbated by refrigerated temperatures and the loudness of the working environment meaning that workers have to lean into to each other to communicate and when they do, they shout which increases the breath droplet/aerosol transmitted.

*ETA - just for accuracy, should add that the largest source of infection is from a family member who brings an infection into a household - what I'm talking about above is where those people get the infection

Yes, my local park (Ruskin Park, S London) has been pretty busy but generally people are sitting apart from each other. On the other hand, trains remain pretty much empty, people are queuing for the supermarkets, and buses have more passengers on them than a couple of weeks ago but mostly they don't seem to be rammed. I don't think behaviour in London is quite as bad as some people are making out.

Whilst these scenes of overcrowding at the beaches are really not great on the plus side there does seem to be a very low risk of transmission when outside.

On a slightly different note can anyone help me out with regard to what is going on in London? Front page of the Telegraph today reporting the virus is beginning to "fade in London". Major hospitals have not reported one covid death in the last 48 hours, very small numbers of new positive tests and an 'R' rate notably lower than the rest of the country.

I know London had a dramatic peak and a sharp fall and I know we went into lockdown before other areas had peaked but I don't understand the situation now given the whole country has been in lockdown for a while now. Its not like London has been extra special good at lockdown, the opposite if anything. London parks have been busy every sunny day, the supermarkets are still very busy. There is a large young population many of whom have largely played lip service to lockdown. I just don't understand why the situation looks as optimistic as it does compared to the rest of the country? Have I misread this horribly? As I say, can anyone help me out here?

Perhaps its time for The Met to start patrolling the M25 and turning away non Londoners because they are likely virused-up? ;)

A plane has just gone over. Such a rare event that I had to check it at flightradar. It's the A34916 from Larnaca to Heathrow. Wouldn't it be great if planes carried on being unusual?
Last couple of days have been the first time I've seen a significant number of contrails in a while.
Yes, it would be good if planes carried on being unusual.
Assuming you are in the Brixton area, the recent absence has ben partly Covid related, but also because of a sustained period of easterly winds meaning planes approach heathrow from the west. That's now changed.

A plane has just gone over. Such a rare event that I had to check it at flightradar. It's the A34916 from Larnaca to Heathrow. Wouldn't it be great if planes carried on being unusual?

Which airport do you live near to? I live close to Heathrow and planes have gone from every 45 seconds or so to about every 5 - 10 minutes. Still quite busy but I suspect the majority are freight flights in either freight planes or re-purposed passenger planes.

but the post refers to the queue of cars trying to drive to Woolocombe?

I think the person that tweeted that photo has conflated stories. There were incidences of cars being parked on double yellows and getting tickets but that photo is just a traffic jam and the Police can't ticket people for that anymore.

Whilst these scenes of overcrowding at the beaches are really not great on the plus side there does seem to be a very low risk of transmission when outside.

On a slightly different note can anyone help me out with regard to what is going on in London? Front page of the Telegraph today reporting the virus is beginning to "fade in London". Major hospitals have not reported one covid death in the last 48 hours, very small numbers of new positive tests and an 'R' rate notably lower than the rest of the country.

I know London had a dramatic peak and a sharp fall and I know we went into lockdown before other areas had peaked but I don't understand the situation now given the whole country has been in lockdown for a while now. Its not like London has been extra special good at lockdown, the opposite if anything. London parks have been busy every sunny day, the supermarkets are still very busy. There is a large young population many of whom have largely played lip service to lockdown. I just don't understand why the situation looks as optimistic as it does compared to the rest of the country? Have I misread this horribly? As I say, can anyone help me out here?

Perhaps its time for The Met to start patrolling the M25 and turning away non Londoners because they are likely virused-up? ;)
Here are some london stats:

The deaths in hospitals graph looks pretty encouraging.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.29.26.jpg

For comparison, here is the UK as a whole

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.31.54.jpg

but the post refers to the queue of cars trying to drive to Woolocombe?

The tweet was badly worded, there was gridlocked roads AND parking chaos,

Devon County Council confirmed that around 70 Penalty Charge Notices have been issued for illegally parked motorists on Challacombe Hill.

A spokesman added: “A huge number of people have decided to park illegally on Challacombe Hill in Woolacombe today, leaving their cars on a clearway where parking is prohibited at all times.

Which airport do you live near to? I live close to Heathrow and planes have gone from every 45 seconds or so to about every 5 - 10 minutes. Still quite busy but I suspect the majority are freight flights in either freight planes or re-purposed passenger planes.
I'm in Brixton. Heathrow and City planes going over, mostly.

I think we’re all going to have to become far more proactive about taking care of our own health. not just washing our hands and being careful in public, but also in terms of our diet and nutrition, exercise, weight, and all the other things that so many of us tend to be complacent about.
Fair play. I have improved nutrition and slept more since lockdown. No takeaways since mid-March down from several a week. Cooked more. Probably less and less varied exercise due to gym being closed. Still around an hour 6 days a week indoors plus for the last couple of weeks walking most days. I'm lucky in that I already had a rowing machine and a basic (quite light) set of weights. A lot of it I would like to keep up. However, not everyone is in a position to simply take care of themselves better. Not all the other problems in society have gone away. There are still many reasons people can not take care of themselves as well as they'd like. It can be an expensive business to eat well and exercise. People still have other conditions limiting their choices. For many the virus and battling it has likely exacerbated these problems, reduced state support and reduced familial and community support. A lot of people are still working/returning to work in more stressful situations than before.

One of my concerens is about what appears to be the inherently intermittent properties of this virus.

I have a nasty suspicion that it will come and go, rise and fall, regardless of human behaviour, or anyway in a fashion that takes advantage of human behaviour.

Several coronaviruses seems to have evolved the nifty trick of apparently going away, so the host feels better and goes back to the community, and then the virus virus picks up and starts replicating and then spreading again. The intermittent nature of this in the onset phase makes me worry that this one also has this capacity.

Just as an individual will come down with something, feel rotten, stay home, feel a bit better, go back to work and then be felled again, I have a horrible sense that we’ll see the same patetrn on the larger scale with the pandemic. A second wave is pretty certain for us and other countries that have handled it badly, but if I’m right, even to small degree, we could see second waves even in places that have handled it well. New cass in China, S.Korea etc seem to support this idea.

I’m also really concerned that because it seems willing and able to use any/all organs & tissue as a site for replication, we could see it recurring in those who’ve had it and recovered when circumstances allow (run download, stressed, sub optimal nutrition, other illness etc).

Fair play. I have improved nutrition and slept more since lockdown. No takeaways since mid-March down from several a week. Cooked more. Probably less and less varied exercise due to gym being closed. Still around an hour 6 days a week indoors plus for the last couple of weeks walking most days. I'm lucky in that I already had a rowing machine and a basic (quite light) set of weights. A lot of it I would like to keep up. However, not everyone is in a position to simply take care of themselves better. Not all the other problems in society have gone away. There are still many reasons people can not take care of themselves as well as they'd like. It can be an expensive business to eat well and exercise. People still have other conditions limiting their choices. For many the virus and battling it has likely exacerbated these problems, reduced state support and reduced familial and community support. A lot of people are still working/returning to work in more stressful situations than before.

Yes. Should have added all that. I’ve written about this quite extensively elsewhere (not on here) and so it felt like I was referring back to something I’d already said at length.

A lot of people are eating better, sleeping enough, catching up on family realtionships, and that’s all good. But a huge number of people are shut out of these benefits and advantages because of their circumstances, whether that be social isolation, low income, environmental issues like poor housing, shitty work, underlying poor health, living with disabilities, being in a minority population, struggling with depression, etc and so on.

ETA
It almost goes without saying that those of us who have been living at the shitty end of things will be far worse off than those who are living towards the better fatter end of the stick.

Back
Top Bottom