Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I dont recognise that number, any idea what it is exactly? Sounds like a subset of something.

Todays reported Londons daily hospital admissions/diagnoses, which is actually for the admission date of 27th December, has now breached the mythical trigger point of 400 for the first time in this wave. The figure is 436. Its not on the UK dashboard yet due to data delays, so I got it from NHS spreadsheets. I havent done graphs yet, I will do them in a bit.

Data source Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

And the latest figure for England via that data is 1751 for December 27th, up from 1374 the previous day.

Sorry my sloppy quoting, I think it was England admissions last 24 hours. If I can find the original source and it's not that I'll correct it.

Reactions: Sue
Sorry my sloppy quoting, I think it was England admissions last 24 hours. If I can find the original source and it's not that I'll correct it.
Its too low to be the standard headline hospital admissions/diagnoses figure for England, and its too high to be for an individual region of England.

Maybe its one of the Omicron-specific numbers they've been producing, which have tended to lag further behind the broader data. I'll have a look in a bit.

Meanwhile here is my first graph for today of daily admissions/diagnoses per region of England, going back to the second wave. I will post different ones in a bit that zoom in on the recent picture.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 16.42.jpg

Now that the Boomers have all been triple vaxxed and think they're immune they are no longer prepared to let workshy ravers (and the unspoken inconvenience of those with "underlying health conditions") stop them playing golf/going on cruises/getting served quickly in Costa.
There was something on the news the other day about a cruise ship that had just been stricken with Covid. I mean who would seriously think that was a good idea at the moment. Apart from a load of people apparently :confused: 🤷‍♀️ .

Hospital admissions/diagnoses per day per region of England for the Delta wave and the Omicron wave so far. Same data as previous graph, just shown differently.

As we can see, London was the first to demonstrate obvious Omicron effects but those are now starting to be seen in other regions too.

As discussed many times previously, it is not possible to seperate those admitted because of covid, incidental covid cases when admitted for other reasons, and hospital-acquired covid infections in this data. So a mix of all three is responsible for the rises seen so far. And presuming that the government have decided to ignore the '400 London daily admission figures' trigger point this time, they are going to make heavy use of drawing attention to this in order to justify the decision not to impose new measures, as already seen from Nick Triggles BBC 'analysis' earlier.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 16.58.jpg

Last edited:
There was something on the news the other day about a cruise ship that had just been stricken with Covid. I mean who would seriously think that was a good idea at the moment. Apart from a load of people apparently :confused: 🤷‍♀️ .

People that are fed up with woke remoaners stopping them enjoying their hard earned (via the property bubble) retirement. That's who.

You know the ones who survived the war that ended a few years before they were born.

Them.

I guess a lot of that is still from Delta. Is there any data on that for Omicron yet?
The UKHSA (that replaced Public Health England) does a daily report which counts Omicron cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

However I consider that data to be a subset of the full picture, with some additional lag for various reasons. So I dont really think of these numbers as being the true total, just the totals where Omicron was properly confirmed.

This is their latest daily report. 766 hospitalisations and 53 deaths in total so far.

That report also looks into vaccination status of hospitalised Omicron cases. Again its not a complete picture but its the best they can muster given data limitations:

From the above table, 40.3% of hospitalised cases in London were unvaccinated. London is currently the largest and most robust data set of the regions and reflects the importance of vaccine uptake.

Last edited:
Just announced there's been 916 more hospital admissions in the last 24 hours.

E2A: Sorry shit reporting, I think that was England hospital admissions last 24 hours.
Following on from earlier discussion, I have now established what this number is.

Its the rise in the number of patients with covid in hospital in England compared to the previous days number. Which is not the same thing as daily admissions. Plus the daily admissions figure lags several days behind the 'in beds' figure.

Todays total: 10,462. Yesterdays figure was 9,546. Almost a third of that increase was in London.

I was a bit surprised at a local cafe in London today. I went there for lunch and chose it because it has a covered yard, very well ventilated but rain-proof. My partner and I sat in the yard, every other person sat inside the cafe. It was almost full of maskless people chatting away as though everything was normal, and all the doors and windows were kept shut. It seems a lot of people have decided to buy the message that it's now just like getting a bad cold or something, and apparently aren't worried about transmitting to older people or long covid.

I was a bit surprised at a local cafe in London today. I went there for lunch and chose it because it has a covered yard, very well ventilated but rain-proof. My partner and I sat in the yard, every other person sat inside the cafe. It was almost full of maskless people chatting away as though everything was normal, and all the doors and windows were kept shut. It seems a lot of people have decided to buy the message that it's now just like getting a bad cold or something, and apparently aren't worried about transmitting to older people or long covid.

Yeah, I did 2 local train journeys today in and out of nearby city. Both trains were absolutely rammed with people, like standing packed in together, and only about 50% were masked, and a few people were coughing and spluttering. No windows open and when I tried one they had been locked.

I do find it quite depressing and sad tbh, so many people can't seem to do very basic public health stuff like mask wearing to take care of everyone else.

I wonder what uk.gov's internal "oh, fuck" number might be?
I don't have a clue, but the overall UK case numbers/rate is getting close to [if not already past] mine.

I know that boosters and the vaccines generally are reducing both severe disease & fatalities, but even so, these small percentages of a very high number are still too many ...
A vast number of those [unnecessary] deaths will, in each case, be destroying a family ....

Last edited:
Yeah, I did 2 local train journeys today in and out of nearby city. Both trains were absolutely rammed with people, like standing packed in together, and only about 50% were masked, and a few people were coughing and spluttering. No windows open and when I tried one they had been locked.

I do find it quite depressing and sad tbh, so many people can't seem to do very basic public health stuff like mask wearing to take care of everyone else.
Yes, it is sad. I also find it infuriating that long covid is still not part of the narrative, even though we now have formal statistics on it and they don't look pretty Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK - Office for National Statistics

Of people with self-reported long COVID, 232,000 (19%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 less than 12 weeks previously; 862,000 people (71%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least 12 weeks previously, and 439,000 (36%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least one year previously.

As I saw someone point out on social media, this is the most globally disabling event within living memory (of most people), unmatched since WW2 I would have thought, and yet disability is still barely on the radar. Of course we don't know the long covid rate with omicron yet, but you'd only want to toss the dice on it if you didn't understand how disabling post-viral fatigue can be. Anyone who understood would err on the side of caution, because it's much more likely that you'll be disabled by covid than die from it - but afaics it's still just an occasional 'isn't this weird how doctors don't understand it' story on mainstream news.

I hope at the very least that Johnson is spending his nights awake, tossing and turning and gazing at the ceiling as the anxiety and dread takes over.

Back
Top Bottom