Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

For me, it seems like it might still be a finely balanced decision, about implementing more restrictions in England (it almost certainly isn't a 50/50 decision, but we don't seem to yet have the information to be more definite, either way). Problem with that is:

1. If johnson et al are wrong and hospitalisations do go critical, it's too late. There's still a need for precautionary action and that time was probably last week.
2. Even if it really is 50/50 odds, the consequences on both sides are not equal. On the one hand, if hospitalisations remain around where they are he's 'saved new year' and the hospitality industry, reduced the need for more spending etc. On the other, if hospitalisations do go much further it has a massive impact on the NHS, people don't get treated for other conditions and then more and deeper action is needed in January.
3. Needless to say, this isn't about following the evidence, it's about johnson's weak position and the headbangers. Part of that is this whole discourse of 'what do the experts know'.

Having said that, anything like a 'lockdown', particularly closing schools, isn't sustainable and we know the mental health and other issues that are building up. It genuinely is a case of being 'balanced' and 'proportionate'. Problem is, this government is short term, venal and driven by the worst elements in their ranks.

Thanks for that, as you say when it is next updated it will be interesting to see if the 'with' number has become an even greater percentage recently, as implied by the head of NHS providers.

Mind you 400ish out of a 1600 total, is still a fairly large 25%, I doubt it was anything like that in pervious waves.
Well we only have data for the delta wave onwards, but I really doubt it was a trivial proportion in the earlier waves either. Becaue when levels of the virus are high in the community it is inevitable that a fair chunk of 'incidental' cases will be found in hospital, but also hospital covid infections were a very big thing in the first two waves. There have been very occasional articles in the press about how many deaths were attributed to hospital infections and some of the numbers were really large, very many thousands. Testing and vacines have helped compared to the first wave, but its ecpected that Omicron will erode some of those gains. And things like the nature of some hospitals building and layout were probably a big factor, one which also lead to some regional variation. London is actually one of the areas where the hospital infection situation was not allowed to fester as long as it did in some regions. And since June when the data I mentioned became available, it does show a slightly lower percentage of 'with covid' cases than a bunch of other regions.

I do expect the proportion to increase in the next set of data.

It does make sense to swell on these details now, but there are also clear signs that the authorities are going to use this stuff to further justify a lack of new restrictions being brought in. Judging the extent to which it is fair enough for them to do so requires us to keep in mind that this stuff was a real part of the picture shown by data in previous waves too. But its inevitable that it will receive more focus this time because the nature of the Omicron wave pressure is likely to be even more complex than with previous waves, certain agendas are in play, and there are a bunch of plausible scenarios where the amount of pressure remains 'delicately balanced' in a way that could be used to justifyfurther restrictions and justify no further restrictions, depending on how its spun. Indeed I note that if I use Nick Triggle as an establishment guide, he has been going on about all these 'incidental' hospital cases today:

With the Omicron variant leading to milder disease, we need to think differently about Covid now.

Hospital data requires much closer analysis than it once did.

On paper there is the highest number in hospital in England since early March.

But that has been artificially inflated by two things this week.

Firstly, the number of people being discharged from hospital will have dropped significantly over the festive period. Last year the rate of discharged halved, meaning there are likely to be hundreds of patients in hospital who have recovered from Covid.

Secondly a growing proportion of hospitalisations are for what is known as an incidental admission. They are people being treated for something else, but just happen to have Covid.

Last week this stood at about three in 10, but the expectation is this will have increased by now. The latest figures will be released on Thursday.

Therefore, it is possible of the 9,500 in hospital maybe around 6,000 are acutely unwell with Covid.

These numbers are undoubtedly going to go up in the coming weeks as Omicron spreads.

But the raw data will only tell us so much.

Sounds like he is setting the scene for no more restrictions even if some numbers get quite large in the weeks ahead. Thats from the BBC live updates page at 11:03 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59816431

Ultimately I can still use the very basic admissions data for certain things, especially if it were to very rapidly increase. I will augment it with the other stuff without pushing agendas in a crude manner like Triggle. And I will certainly rely on other data such as number of patients in mechanical ventilation beds in order to judge one form of acute covid pressure more directly. That picture could indeed end up quite different this time, and we are entering the zone where it wont take a huge amount of time to find out. And it can make a big difference. But I wont dismiss the other forms of pressure as irrelevant either, although vaccines will hopefully offer a high degree of protection against some of the worst consequences of hospital infections etc that we saw in the first few waves. There will still be consequences for some though, and it worries me that these wont really show up on peoples radars if the overall numbers are so much lower than what people got used to hearing about in the first few waves. Not that people were used to hearing all that much about hospital infections, which is why I go on about them so much, the authorities dont like to draw attention to that shit and various failings. No wonder, given they have never even bothered to upgrade medical worker mask standards, another cold calculation by the UK establishment.

people don't get treated for other conditions
This is one of the largest ongoing problems with the current approach to 'learning to live with covid'. It grinds away at NHS capacity all the time, not just during big waves, although obviously its an even bigger problem during waves. Even when reaching a point where many millions of infections can be tolerated because they dont lead to the same proportion of hospitalisations as they did in the past, it still creates staffing problems, infection control problems, other capacity problems and messy hospital risk picture. It one of the reasons I do not support policies which allow many millions of infections to occur on an ongoing basis. But since that clearly is the UK approach, they will have to come up with some other ways to deal with this in future. If they could get the disease consequences right down to negligible levels then they will be able to make substantial changes to the need for medical and care staff to isolate, and how much hospitals have to remain reconfigured to reduce transmission at the expense of capacity. But since these are the riskiest settings, they should really be one of the last fronts to bring in such changes, ie changes to self-isolation should become plausible for some other professions first, a while before it is sensible to do so for hospital workers.

Really to achieve that in a manner I would find acceptable likely requires the dominant virus strain to become very mild, or for us to actually have vaccines that reduce infection and transmission to a much greater extent than the first generation of vaccines have been able to do. But I suppose I expect UK authorities to press ahead with some stuff regardless, given a bit more time, because they will make certain judgement calls that still involve a fair dollop of risk, and they will fixate on the potential rewards and reducing disruption more than they will the occasions where it goes wrong with fatal consequences. Looking at UK establishment preferences, I suspect that once more treatments have proven themselves and are readily available, they will deal with these issues by chucking a lot of drugs at the problem, hoping that is enough to get the balance they seek that will then allow them to say the risk has diminished to a level where normal hospital care for other conditions can resume on a more sustainable basis.

Last edited:
Oh and on that note, having glanced at some headlines from the Health Service Journal in recent months, it seems there is an agenda to treat more people at home in future, and not just for covid like we have already seen being announced for this wave. I believe there is some target to increase acute medical care capacity by 5%, but half of that is apparently supposed to come from some new form of care at home.

In some ways that makes sense given that large physical institutions with lots of people sharing the same space have infection control implications. But of course this aspect will combine with other stuff like doing shit on the cheap. There will likely be ongoing concerns about the resulting level of care on offer.

Oh and on that note, having glanced at some headlines from the Health Service Journal in recent months, it seems there is an agenda to treat more people at home in future, and not just for covid like we have already seen being announced for this wave. I believe there is some target to increase acute medical care capacity by 5%, but half of that is apparently supposed to come from some new form of care at home.

In some ways that makes sense given that large physical institutions with lots of people sharing the same space have infection control implications. But of course this aspect will combine with other stuff like doing shit on the cheap. There will likely be ongoing concerns about the resulting level of care on offer.

Not to mention the lack of homes and crowded housing.

Certainly seen some signs of that already ...
I'm thinking of the speed at which minor surgical cases are booted out to "home" care - even when the patients local GP has only a very limited staff of "community nurses"

When best mate was booted off the ward after having had their gall-bladder removed, there was only a cursory check that there would be someone ay home to help [my medical knowledge is only at first aider level, although my OH had had the same operation about 18mths before]. Although we did get some dressings ...

Yep, can't disagree with that. Though the thought of them braying 'we held our nerve' will be appalling.
Whatever outcomes we get in this wave, I can already tell that I'll feel the need to repeatedly point out that this was achieved with the help of plenty of scary mood music and large numbers of people adjusting their behaviour. I imagin that those who seek to rush to the most extreme form of 'learning to live with covid' will want to skim over that point and pretend that we can completely forget about behavioural changes and can pretend the virus doesnt exist. eg #10,437

2022 will be messy but the gradual exit from the acute phase of the pandemic was always going to be messy. And I still prefer that mess and having to deal with some of the shitty politics to an alternative scenario where we get stuck in the acute phase for longer.

Last edited:
Certainly seen some signs of that already ...
I'm thinking of the speed at which minor surgical cases are booted out to "home" care - even when the patients local GP has only a very limited staff of "community nurses"

When best mate was booted off the ward after having had their gall-bladder removed, there was only a cursory check that there would be someone ay home to help [my medical knowledge is only at first aider level, although my OH had had the same operation about 18mths before]. Although we did get some dressings ...
Yeah, I think I've started to see the phrase 'from the comfort of your own home' creeping into NHS announcements for several years, it slightly predates the pandemic. In other areas it predates the pandemic by decades, once large institutions went out of fashion in areas like mental health, childrens homes etc. There were some bloody good reasons to ditch the old ways, they came with their own horrors, but of course we didnt bother to put enough resources into the alternative approach.

If the quality of care can be made good enough in the home environment then there are certainly advantages, there is probably already evidence that outcomes are better if people are not trapped in hospital wards for prolonged periods of time. But actually delivering on the upsides without half-arsing our way into a picture dominated by the downsides is not something I tend to associate with UK PLC.

not sure whether to post here, or the 'tory stupidity' thread or maybe both

View attachment 303606
There's definitely a sense they are going on the attack now. Scientists and people with a sensible public health message are well on the way to being portrayed as a subset of the 'woke' establishment. Whereas 'living with covid' is the new Get Brexit Done.

Just on the 'going on the attack' theme, I'm not going to dig out the stories from the Mail and Express (didn't read the originals I might add, just the newsfeed recycling). However I've noticed those papers using phrases like 'scientists have been pestering Boris Johnson to impose new restrictions'. Definitely a sense of scientists being attacked as overly pessimistic doom mongers over the last week - stuff that goes well beyond the Cabinet widening the net of scientists they take advice from.

Well they've done it before, even when there was very little prospect of the earlier waves not being horrific, so its no surprise that they will ramp that shit up even further this time.

eg the fucking Mail were calling Vallance and Whitty Prof Gloom and Dr Doom back in September 2020, because the Mail did not like the idea of taking action then. By November that year we had a lockdown because even Johnson could not resist the inevitable for any longer that time.

"grunt of annoyance"

I ordered a pack of LFTs before chrimble [on checking, it was on the 23rd] and unlike the previous supply which arrived in less than three days, I'm still waiting. No sign of the "tracking email" either !

[Also sent for some new masks just after doing that ^^^ & they've already arrived]
No royal mail deliveries over the past 4 days due to crimbo, boxing and 2 bank holidays, the LFts I ordered on the 22nd arrived today despite a text saying they had been delivered on monday :facepalm:
The evil corporation was delivering over the last 2 days though.

No royal mail deliveries over the past 4 days due to crimbo, boxing and 2 bank holidays, the LFts I ordered on the 22nd arrived today despite a text saying they had been delivered on monday :facepalm:
The evil corporation was delivering over the last 2 days though.
My box of LFT's arrived about 10 minutes ago. [and about half an hour before the delivery window would be ended].

We've had post on crimbo eve and deliveries re-started yesterday. So, I suppose the missing 4 days is "explained" ...

As I'm [effectively] not socially mixing until the 4th Jan ...
Now I have a supply, I'll be able to do a test if I do need to go out.

Sorry, a rather basic question: presumably, all the UK hospitalisation data is still almost all delta wave (given the usual timelag from infection to hospitalisation)? And if that's the case, all the real world data about Omicron hospitalisation will be almost entirely from overseas, particularly South Africa?

Just announced there's been 916 more hospital admissions in the last 24 hours.
I dont recognise that number, any idea what it is exactly? Sounds like a subset of something.

Todays reported Londons daily hospital admissions/diagnoses, which is actually for the admission date of 27th December, has now breached the mythical trigger point of 400 for the first time in this wave. The figure is 436. Its not on the UK dashboard yet due to data delays, so I got it from NHS spreadsheets. I havent done graphs yet, I will do them in a bit.

Data source Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

And the latest figure for England via that data is 1751 for December 27th, up from 1374 the previous day.

Sorry, a rather basic question: presumably, all the UK hospitalisation data is still almost all delta wave (given the usual timelag from infection to hospitalisation)? And if that's the case, all the real world data about Omicron hospitalisation will be almost entirely from overseas, particularly South Africa?

No, Omicron has been here in large numbers for some time now and increasingly shows up in hospital admissions data. This has been more obvious when looking at Londons data and the increases seen there first because they were further ahead witht he rise of Omicron, but other regions are now starting to show increases quite obviously too. This will become clearer when I post some graphs.

No, Omicron has been here in large numbers for some time now and increasingly shows up in hospital admissions data. This has been more obvious when looking at Londons data and the increases seen there first because they were further ahead witht he rise of Omicron, but other regions are now starting to show increases quite obviously too. This will become clearer when I post some graphs.
Ta.

Back
Top Bottom