Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Hospital wards in London are full of COVID patients. Non symptomatic or mild but admitted for other problems. Its a legistical nightmare and a huge swathe of staff off sick. This last point is the Biggie if it continues.
Omicron seems to do a good job of causing ward outbreaks despite testing in place, I suspect it's not being touched by boosters ATM but I have no specific evidence just a feeling.
Thankfully most patients with it are oblivious except those that have regular flu symptoms.
I hope it's just mild disease now. Looks like it as so many unvaxxed here and no drama

No drama apart from those for whom it isn't though. We're still kicking along at 150 or so dead daily.

I am not keen on the use of the terms 'with' or 'from' covid when discussing hospital admissions, as there was a lot of drum beating from covid-deniers using these terms during pervious waves, when clearly the vast majority were being admitted actually needed treatment for covid.

However, there was an interesting interview with the head of NHS Providers on the news channels, based on his conversations with various Trust leaders, saying there's a lot higher proportion of patients coming in now for all sorts of other reasons, with no covid symptoms, and no need of treatment for covid, that are testing positive, and counted in the official figures.

Apparently there's currently no way of separating the 'with' or 'from' covid figures, which would be bloody useful.
He doesnt actually speak about the proportion of cases.

As I mentioned earlier, there is data on this. Its imperfect and lags a bit behind other hospital data, and only comes out once a week. And its for number of patients in hospital, rather than daily admissions.

Here for example is that data for London, which currently only goes up to December 21st. Both 'for' and 'with' have risen in similar style up to that moment. As a result, so far there is only a modest increase in proportions of 'with', but this may become more significant over time, so I will comment on this again next time that data comes out.

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 18.38.jpg

There are a few other things we can make use of. Given more time for data to come in, the number of patients on mechanical ventilators will start to provide quite some guide as to severity.

And then there is the aspect NHS management etc are not keen to give quotes to the press about - hospital infections. Omicron is expected to cause a lot of hospital infections, and this is already showing up in the very basic data I can ascertain, and via anecdotes such as those from IC3D above. This is always going to have logistical implications that people will need to find solutions for if they want to be able to live without covid restrictions. Whether it also has morbidity and mortality implications to the same sort of extent as we saw in the first two waves remains to be seen, in theory this variant and vaccines should make a notable difference, but this also depends what sort of wards outbreaks happen on and the sheer number of cases.

Data comes from Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

Omicron was identified in South Africa about one month ago.

It takes time for people to get infected, get sick, and die.

I realise why this is, and I’m also wishing there were answers / more data to go on right now - But the way to get those answers is the somewhat ghoulish activity of waiting to see how many people die of omicron type covid in the next few weeks.

Omicron was identified in South Africa about one month ago.

It takes time for people to get infected, get sick, and die.

I realise why this is, and I’m also wishing there were answers / more data to go on right now - But the way to get those answers is the somewhat ghoulish activity of waiting to see how many people die of omicron type covid in the next few weeks.

Yes, it's awful.
I understand people getting tired and worn down and depressed and anxious, I really, really do - but I still feel the 'wait', the 'test', is just so fucking horrifying.

"grunt of annoyance"

I ordered a pack of LFTs before chrimble [on checking, it was on the 23rd] and unlike the previous supply which arrived in less than three days, I'm still waiting. No sign of the "tracking email" either !

[Also sent for some new masks just after doing that ^^^ & they've already arrived]

"grunt of annoyance"

I ordered a pack of LFTs before chrimble [on checking, it was on the 23rd] and unlike the previous supply which arrived in less than three days, I'm still waiting. No sign of the "tracking email" either !

[Also sent for some new masks just after doing that ^^^ & they've already arrived]
Conversely I got two tracking emails, 24 hours apart, when I hadn’t ordered any. 🤷

They didn’t turn up tbf.

I let my daughter have my unopened pack so she could continue to test herself and her son daily during her isolation. The site will not let me order more to be posted and the collection code I got last week to pick some up locally is of no use when none of the pharmacies in a 10 mile radius have any LFTs in stock. I can be tested at work, but that’s not an option for everyone.

Been pondering the stats for omicron.
All the people I know (over 20) that tested positive recently had something that was indisguinshable from a cold and recovered in 3-4 days.

We are week 3 with omicron, with 628016 officially recorded infections from 13-19 December, there are ~1000 people a day going to hospital. Its been said they aren't going in because of covid, but are being added to the numbers because they routinely test you for it when you go in. They are also saying the average discarge time for covid is 3 days. Its also been said showing symptoms is 2 days and recovery is 5 days. Its 90% of infections in London now, its ripped through.

Comparing with last year at the peak 1-7 Jan there were 397874 recorded infections , translating to 28000 people a week going to hospital and that caused about 8000 deaths a week, 2 weeks later. We were unvaccinated and locked down.

Jury is still out but I am starting to agree with the statement
Sir John Bell said:
Omicron is “not the same disease we were seeing a year ago” and high Covid death rates in the UK are “now history”, a leading immunologist has said.

We shall know pretty soon

Last edited:
Yes, it's awful.
I understand people getting tired and worn down and depressed and anxious, I really, really do - but I still feel the 'wait', the 'test', is just so fucking horrifying.
Yeah
I’m utterly fed up of it all
And sometimes just …sometimes I take a step back & notice that having such a thing as a daily death toll from this … it’s part of what I feared was coming back in March of 2020 but less sudden… it’s fukin grim

Been pondering the stats for omicron.
All the people I know (over 20) that tested positive recently had something that was indisguinshable from a cold and recovered in 3-4 days.

We are week 3 with omicron, with 628016 officially recorded infections from 13-19 December, there are ~1000 people a day going to hospital. Its been said they aren't going in because of covid, but are being added to the numbers because they routinely test you for it when you go in. They are also saying the average discarge time for covid is 3 days. Its also been said showing symptoms is 2 days and recovery is 5 days. Its 90% of infections in London now, its ripped through.

Comparing with last year at the peak 1-7 Jan there were 397874 recorded infections , translating to 28000 people a week going to hospital and that caused about 8000 deaths a week, 2 weeks later. We were unvaccinated and locked down.

Jury is still out but I am starting to agree with the statement

We shall know pretty soon
Was it ever the younger generations at greater risk?
And weren't older people always at greater risk, later?
Hospital admissions in England, alone, rose from 926 on 19/12, to 1,374 on 26/12.

Yeah
I’m utterly fed up of it all
And sometimes just …sometimes I take a step back & notice that having such a thing as a daily death toll from this … it’s part of what I feared was coming back in March of 2020 but less sudden… it’s fukin grim

I hear you.

Its been said they aren't going in because of covid, but are being added to the numbers

Sunray, the more people repeat this in a binary way as you just did the more it gets taken as a major factor, look at the actual figures as elbows posted a day or so ago, its a small percentage

He doesnt actually speak about the proportion of cases.

As I mentioned earlier, there is data on this. Its imperfect and lags a bit behind other hospital data, and only comes out once a week. And its for number of patients in hospital, rather than daily admissions.

Here for example is that data for London, which currently only goes up to December 21st. Both 'for' and 'with' have risen in similar style up to that moment. As a result, so far there is only a modest increase in proportions of 'with', but this may become more significant over time, so I will comment on this again next time that data comes out.

View attachment 303513

There are a few other things we can make use of. Given more time for data to come in, the number of patients on mechanical ventilators will start to provide quite some guide as to severity.

And then there is the aspect NHS management etc are not keen to give quotes to the press about - hospital infections. Omicron is expected to cause a lot of hospital infections, and this is already showing up in the very basic data I can ascertain, and via anecdotes such as those from IC3D above. This is always going to have logistical implications that people will need to find solutions for if they want to be able to live without covid restrictions. Whether it also has morbidity and mortality implications to the same sort of extent as we saw in the first two waves remains to be seen, in theory this variant and vaccines should make a notable difference, but this also depends what sort of wards outbreaks happen on and the sheer number of cases.

Data comes from Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

Thanks for that, as you say when it is next updated it will be interesting to see if the 'with' number has become an even greater percentage recently, as implied by the head of NHS providers.

Mind you 400ish out of a 1600 total, is still a fairly large 25%, I doubt it was anything like that in pervious waves.

Understanding what is going on is made much harder by the politics around the current wave. It seems clear it's milder by some amount, but quite how much and what we have to expect in the next month is clouded by politicians, commentators and scientists who have already made up their minds that we're in the clear to justify the English government's 'do as little as possible' approach.

It seems that the protective wall around the incompetent Johnson, which has rendered him teflon for so long, has been breached by the Tory right who didn't like his political direction of travel and the resulting party revelations have damaged his popularity. Johnson is in the last chance saloon and candidates are already preparing for a leadership contest. The CRG/ERG/batshit insane right of the party see themselves as kingmakers (or queenmakers) and they have been opposed to Covid measures that impinge on personal freedom and damage the economy all along. They certainly don't want to see them now. Johnson feels he needs an audacious plan to retain power and refusing to implement the measures suggested by his scientific advisors is a gamble that if it pays off could see him hold onto his position for longer.

To justify his approach there's a crowd of people, many of whom are the same voices who were questioning the need for strong measures last autumn, which did result in the carnage of last winter. It's interesting how the question of how mild Omicron is has been spun. There were a number of reports putting it anywhere between a 40% and 85% reduction in hospitalisations; the UKHSA put the figure between 50% and 70%. This was widely reported as "up to 70%" and is now often discussed as being a definate 70%. The issue of 'people in hospital with' as opposed to 'people in hospital because of' Covid has become a big talking point. Anything to minimise the size of the gamble Johnson is taking.

Will he get away with it? I don't know and nor does he or anyone else. Since he's now taken it I hope he does, because if he's wrong we're facing a mess in the coming weeks. There's always the optimistic possibility that Omicron is a milder form of Covid, everyone will get it, be a bit ill, and then we'll all have had it and can carry on. But there's still the possibility that hospitals will fill up, staff absence will hit healthcare and food distribution and everything else and he's forced into a humiliating and damaging hard lockdown. Or possibly something in between.

It was a difficult decision that any government would've faced. If Omicron does prove to be milder then implementing measures that weren't needed would be unpopular, but with the stakes so high it seems unwise to be doing nothing (and Plan B - a largely unenforced requirement to wear masks and a frequently unenforced covid pass to show you're either vaccinated, which doesn't stop you catching and spreading it, or have an easily fakable and unreliable negative LFT - is basically nothing). There were (and still are) options available short of a lockdown, but they all hurt someone. If pubs/clubs/restaurants or schools were shut down there would be entirely accurate howls of outrage about the damage to the industry or children. But if we end up in a harder lockdown we'll have those impacts and more anyway. But we have Johnson's government of corruption and incompetent, so my faith in them having the country's best interests at heart is non-existent.

Fingers crossed for whatever happens next.

Understanding what is going on is made much harder by the politics around the current wave. It seems clear it's milder by some amount, but quite how much and what we have to expect in the next month is clouded by politicians, commentators and scientists who have already made up their minds that we're in the clear to justify the English government's 'do as little as possible' approach.

It seems that the protective wall around the incompetent Johnson, which has rendered him teflon for so long, has been breached by the Tory right who didn't like his political direction of travel and the resulting party revelations have damaged his popularity. Johnson is in the last chance saloon and candidates are already preparing for a leadership contest. The CRG/ERG/batshit insane right of the party see themselves as kingmakers (or queenmakers) and they have been opposed to Covid measures that impinge on personal freedom and damage the economy all along. They certainly don't want to see them now. Johnson feels he needs an audacious plan to retain power and refusing to implement the measures suggested by his scientific advisors is a gamble that if it pays off could see him hold onto his position for longer.

To justify his approach there's a crowd of people, many of whom are the same voices who were questioning the need for strong measures last autumn, which did result in the carnage of last winter. It's interesting how the question of how mild Omicron is has been spun. There were a number of reports putting it anywhere between a 40% and 85% reduction in hospitalisations; the UKHSA put the figure between 50% and 70%. This was widely reported as "up to 70%" and is now often discussed as being a definate 70%. The issue of 'people in hospital with' as opposed to 'people in hospital because of' Covid has become a big talking point. Anything to minimise the size of the gamble Johnson is taking.

Will he get away with it? I don't know and nor does he or anyone else. Since he's now taken it I hope he does, because if he's wrong we're facing a mess in the coming weeks. There's always the optimistic possibility that Omicron is a milder form of Covid, everyone will get it, be a bit ill, and then we'll all have had it and can carry on. But there's still the possibility that hospitals will fill up, staff absence will hit healthcare and food distribution and everything else and he's forced into a humiliating and damaging hard lockdown. Or possibly something in between.

It was a difficult decision that any government would've faced. If Omicron does prove to be milder then implementing measures that weren't needed would be unpopular, but with the stakes so high it seems unwise to be doing nothing (and Plan B - a largely unenforced requirement to wear masks and a frequently unenforced covid pass to show you're either vaccinated, which doesn't stop you catching and spreading it, or have an easily fakable and unreliable negative LFT - is basically nothing). There were (and still are) options available short of a lockdown, but they all hurt someone. If pubs/clubs/restaurants or schools were shut down there would be entirely accurate howls of outrage about the damage to the industry or children. But if we end up in a harder lockdown we'll have those impacts and more anyway. But we have Johnson's government of corruption and incompetent, so my faith in them having the country's best interests at heart is non-existent.

Fingers crossed for whatever happens next.

Thanks for taking the time to write that, very useful and a good summary. Edie be interested what you think of this give the posts on the International thread this morning.

"grunt of annoyance"

according to them, due to be delivered today [29th] - sat in the postal system 23rd to 27th then 28th at the Tyneside depot but is out for delivery today [29th].

according to them, due to be delivered today [29th] - sat in the postal system 23rd to 27th then 28th at the Tyneside depot but is out for delivery today [29th].
Story here about supply of LFTs

Covid: Warning over patchy lateral flow test supply

Pharmacists are warning of patchy supplies of rapid Covid tests following changes to self-isolation rules. They said demand for lateral flow tests increased after changes allowed people with Covid to leave isolation after seven days - if they test negative. The Association Of Independent Multiple Pharmacies said staff and customers were stressed over the lack of supply.

Among other things, this seems likely to mean the figures for number of positive cases will be an underestimate.

Locally, case numbers doubled [as at five days ago] ...

Despite very high vaccination rates.

Not a fluffy bunny, as the weather is cold and very wet.

This tetchy tory old-timer is not holding back...

View attachment 303563

Little known fact, he was a DJ on Radio Caroline back in the 60s.

Anyway, it's not just LFTs, there's problems with PCR tests again.

Walk-in PCR tests unavailable in England and Northern Ireland​

There are no walk-in PCR tests available to book anywhere in England or Northern Ireland.
Appointments had been unavailable in every region of the country, although there were some in Scotland and Wales.
The NHS website also said no home tests were available either for the general public or for essential workers.
On Monday, the UKHSA said the problem was due to “high demand” and the problem only lasted for a few hours before people could book appointments again.

This tetchy tory old-timer is not holding back...

View attachment 303563
Don't know what Gale's position on all this is, whether he's one of those arguing for less restrictions, but to some extent the government are victims of their own wishes to relax restrictions and cut isolation times.

If you change the rules so that people can isolate for less time providing they test more, you inevitably increase the demand for testing, and that demand can't be magically met simply because the rules have changed.

It seems one of the main problem with LFTs was no deliveries over the Xmas period, despite many pharmacies being open over that period.

The wholesaler which supplies the LFD test kits to pharmacies, on behalf of the UK Health Security Agency, made its last deliveries on Friday afternoon, following which all deliveries were paused until this morning, when they fully re-opened, as all pharmacies also returned to their normal opening hours.

Many pharmacies were open over the four-day Christmas break, but as deliveries of medicines and LFD kits would not be made during that period, it is likely that their supply of test kits will once again have been exhausted.

More stock of test kits will have been delivered to pharmacies this morning and they will be able to order more for delivery tomorrow and on Friday.

It seems one of the main problem with LFTs was no deliveries over the Xmas period, despite many pharmacies being open over that period.

You'd think that someone might have anticipated, yannow, like, Christmas, and planned accordingly...oh wait, we're in Boris Johnson's Britain, that kind of thing doesn't happen any more.

Back
Top Bottom