Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Personally I just think we do the things I mentioned earlier. Masks on public transport and in shops and just giving each other more space in public. I also think limited capacity in clubs, pubs etc and allowing for more flexible working arrangements between home and office. Couple these with proper financial support to keep businesses and individuals afloat.

This won't be forever of course, although I wish the space thing would remain permanent in shops etc, and this isn't the same as lockdowns but I think this is what's needed until we can understand, prevent treat long covid better and until such time a variaint comes along that isn't so destructive to our health. That's not definite but there's as much chance of that happening as there is as even more dangerous variants emerging. Throwing all these restrictions out the window now though is fucking insane.

Can't disagree with any of that. My worry is even with these measures and as two sheds says, better understanding and implementation of confined space ventilation, we're in for a worrying couple of months.

Some scientists are saying the earlier lock down measures wouldn't be enough to contain Delta and the pesamist in me wonders if we'd have to see a worse, more restrictive lockdown in the near future. Probably just need a break from reading about this stuff again...

bimble people are mixing up a whole host of symptoms and time scales. Some of the studies use 4 weeks post-positive test for still having any symptoms, which is a very short period of time. It's also a very complex mix of symptoms, and anything involving chronic fatigue is also a very complicated issue for a whole host of reasons (one of the reasons why it's not used as a key symptom for whether people have a covid infection or not).

The recent REACT one looked at 4 & 12 weeks plus 5 months, and whilst there's plenty of 'ifs and buts', especially surrounding how bad the symptoms are, and how much impact they have on day-to-day life, it still makes for uncomfortable reading.

These figures are based on reports from the people (almost one in five) who reported having had COVID-19, either suspected or confirmed by PCR test, one-third of whom reported persistent symptoms at 12 weeks. This could mean that more than two million people in England may have been affected by these persistent symptoms after COVID-19.

The proportion of people with symptoms rapidly declined in the first four weeks, followed by a small drop by 12 weeks. However after 12 weeks there was little change up to 150 days (5 months) of follow-up.

Over 2 million adults in England may have had long COVID - Imperial REACT

I personally have two mates locally, who were perfectly fit & healthy before catching covid, that are still suffering long covid over 6 months later. One caught it in Dec., main symptom being fatigue, he started work again about 3 months ago, but is still only managing p/t hours. The other caught it in Jan., main symptom being shortness of breath, and she is still struggling with just going up stairs, so hasn't returned to her job in a care home.

I'm getting on with my life now on the basis that 15 deaths from 66 million people makes it safer than crossing the road.
In 2019 (so pre-Covid) 1,752 people were killed in road traffic accidents - that's all road traffic accidents, not just people crossing the road. That figure has been broadly similar since 2012. That makes an average 4.8 people per day dying in RTAs. There was a 16% drop in RTA fatalities in 2020 because lockdowns.

So the 15 reported Covid deaths yesterday - a weekend figure, which is usually lower, before this wave has really got going - means, on average, people in the UK were over 3 times as likely to die from Covid as in an RTA.

In 2019 (so pre-Covid) 1,752 people were killed in road traffic accidents - that's all road traffic accidents, not just people crossing the road. That figure has been broadly similar since 2012. That makes an average 4.8 people per day dying in RTAs. There was a 16% drop in RTA fatalities in 2020 because lockdowns.

So the 15 reported Covid deaths yesterday - a weekend figure, which is usually lower, before this wave has really got going - means, on average, people in the UK were over 3 times as likely to die from Covid as in an RTA.
This is so stupid it's funny.

If you are really so anal, what are the RTA numbers for inner London. Rural Scotland not being quite so useful.

Last edited:
Double jabbed, I'm getting on with my life now on the basis that 15 deaths from 66 million people makes it safer than crossing the road.

I had my second jab on 8th January.

Yet I'm still taking various precautions regardless what the tories say.

Why?

Because I don't want to be responsible for carrying it, spreading it, allowing it it to multiply.

I want to feel confident that my actions have not lead to the suffering of others - whether or not it kills them. I think severe illness, even if one recovers, is quite unpleasant enough. Let alone long covid.

I don't want anyone gasping for breath, because I was too cocky. Not one person.

Last edited:
This has just arrived. Stephen Bush's daily newsletter:

Good morning. The government will announce the end to almost all restrictions in England on 19 July later today: along with the end to table service, the test-and-trace doohickeys at every establishment, and social distancing – and an end to the legal obligation to wear masks in enclosed spaces, including public transport.

Is it too early to unlock? Scientists are divided: some believe that we should wait until everyone has been given the opportunity to have both their jabs, to minimise the risks to the young of the Delta variant and of new, vaccine-resistant variants. Others think that with the elderly and vulnerable vaccinated, and the reality that Covid-19 will be with us forever, now is the time to begin returning to normality.

The reality within the government is that whatever direction the science points in, the balance of forces within the parliamentary party compels it take one direction: towards the end of all restrictions. But the question is: what will the various devolved institutions do?

etc

I'm not dismissing longcovid but it's worth noting symptoms of various infections can persist for a while anyway. Especially if talking relatively mild ones.

E.g. I had a bad cough towards end of 2019. Went and came back over a couple of months. For periods I was short of breath and quite tired. The latter I put down to not sleeping much as I kept bloody coughing.

I wasn't overly concerned, as knew others had similar around that time. I'm not saying this was Covid, no idea but it did fortunately ease off after a while.

And many have had the kind of annoying cold that won't go away. Persistent mild symptoms aren't particularly unusual.

Longcovid along with CFS / ME should be better researched though.

Which rather begs the question: since you're so sneeringly dismissive of this "internet message board", then what the fuck are you even doing here?
Goodness, look at those goal posts.

I'm sneering at your superior, judgemental middle class tone; what terrible manners the chap has.

This is so stupid it's funny.

If you are really so anal, what are the RTA numbers for inner London. Rural Scotland not being quite so useful.

Come on, you can't throw out a stat and then get huffy if someone uses another relevant one, to put it into perspective.

Let's take last year for example, there'll be less than 2000 RTA related fatalities in London for 2020. There were around 14000 for Covid19...

I'm not dismissing longcovid but it's worth noting symptoms of various infections can persist for a while anyway. Especially if talking relatively mild ones.

E.g. I had a bad cough towards end of 2019. Went and came back over a couple of months. For periods I was short of breath and quite tired. The latter I put down to not sleeping much as I kept bloody coughing.

I wasn't overly concerned, as knew others had similar around that time. I'm not saying this was Covid, no idea but it did fortunately ease off after a while.

And many have had the kind of annoying cold that won't go away. Persistent mild symptoms aren't particularly unusual.

Longcovid along with CFS / ME should be better researched though.

I understand groups that represent people with long covid define it as significant disability persisting for more than 12 weeks.

Last edited:
I had my second jab on 8th January.

Yet I'm still taking various precautions regardless what the tories say.

Why?

Because I don't want to be responsible for carrying it, spreading it, allowing it it to multiply.

I want to feel confident that my actions have not lead to the suffering of others - whether or not it kills them. I think severe illness, even if one recovers, is quite unpleasant enough. Let alone long covid.

I don't want anyone gasping for breath, because I was too cocky. Not one person.

Although I am aware this is easier for some and harder for others, depending on work, care responsibilities, etc etc.

And, Loose meat, is perfectly possible to "get on with our lives" and also take sensible precautions. It's really not an either or situation.

Come on, you can't throw out a stat and then get huffy if someone uses another relevant one, to put it into perspective.

Let's take last year for example, there'll be less than 2000 RTA related fatalities in London for 2020. There were around 14000 for Covid19...
We're talking about ending lockdown in two weeks and the loss of life now, not pandemic history.

Time to get on with the day. Hopefully people on here will be sharper later.

We're talking about ending lockdown in two weeks and the loss of life now, not pandemic history.
:D aka not learning from what has happened before

For all the concern you've professed for the working class you do realize the deaths will be largely concentrated amongst poor people who are crowded together in homes and work places.

It was you dufus, that compared risks of death crossing the road being greater than dying of covid19, siting 15 deaths of the latter yesterday. If that persists for the rest of the year.

Prompting Spandex to show where your working erred.

Have another coffee and think about it...

Back
Top Bottom