Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

A cautionary tale apparently from the Ministry of Health in Israel: in recent weeks a dramatic decline in the effectiveness of the vaccine (Pfizer BNT162b2) against corona infection has been observed.

Before June protection against infection was around 94%. From 6 June, five days after restrictions were all abolished, to recent (limit of current data), the effectiveness of the vaccine to infection, and mild disease, had dropped to 64%. Effectiveness in preventing hospitalisation dropped from 98% to 93% over this same period.

Delta/B.1.617.2 currently appears to account for around 60% of infections in Israel, with alpha/B.1.1.7 around 38%.

e2a: Israeli Ministry of Health brief statement confirming this.

Last edited:
A cautionary tale apparently from the Ministry of Health in Israel: in recent weeks a dramatic decline in the effectiveness of the vaccine (Pfizer BNT162b2) against corona infection has been observed.

Before June protection against infection was around 94%. From 6 June, five days after restrictions were all abolished, to recent (limit of current data), the effectiveness of the vaccine to infection, and mild disease, had dropped to 64%. Effectiveness in preventing hospitalisation dropped from 98% to 93% over this same period.

Delta/B.1.617.2 currently appears to account for around 60% of infections in Israel, with alpha/B.1.1.7 around 38%.
If people get confused about what we will see more obviously via positive case and hospitalisation numbers in different age groups around this country in the weeks ahead, that may go a long way towards explaining it.

Anecdotally people seem about 50/50 on continuing to wear masks or not... I'm think I might order some of the right and proper disposable ones just for a few occasions upcoming where I will have to be in an enclosed space with others seeing as they might really count in that situation.

Philip Schofield annoyed me this morning (yeah I had This Morning on for a bit between lessons) by attempting to argue with a doctor who said the plans to drop masks were ludicrous. Seeing him argue against masks annoyed me far more than a random idiot on the street because him and Holly have real influence over many people.

That was pretty shit to be honest what's her politics got to do with it? He might as well as said "Why should we take you seriously when you're wearing a red jumper and clearly have no fashion sense?"
The woman was presenting a scientific argument, he should have either brought on a scientist with a different view or have been honest and said "Other concerns overide the science" which is also a valid argument not tried to discredit her because he disagreed with her politics.

Last edited:
as a public facing worker, i’m very worried about the relaxing of mandated mask wearing. it’s a huge mistake imo. such a tiny measure that can slow transmission and yet they’re considering letting people go maskless inside

Yes, I can see why you would be concerned. Is there a meaningful discussion to be had with your employer re mandating masks for the punters?

Philip Schofield annoyed me this morning (yeah I had This Morning on for a bit between lessons) by attempting to argue with a doctor who said the plans to drop masks were ludicrous. Seeing him argue against masks annoyed me far more than a random idiot on the street because him and Holly have real influence over many people.

Willoughby has the IQ of a flipflop, and Schofield, little, if any better. They are a pair of irritating fuckwits.

That was pretty shit to be honest what's her politics got to do with it? He might as well as said "Why should we take you seriously when you're wearing a red jumper and clearly have no fashion sense?"
The woman was preventing a scientific argument, he should have either brought on a scientist with a different view or have been honest and said "Other concerns overide the science" which is also a valid argument not tried to discredit her because he disagreed with her politics.
It's absolutely blatant smear tactic. Poisoning the well. Madeley is an avowed 'lockdown sceptic', baptised by Saint Hitchens of Twat. Never mind his comedy Partridge stylings, he's a crank

Yes, I can see why you would be concerned. Is there a meaningful discussion to be had with your employer re mandating masks for the punters?
they will probably continue to tell the public to mask up inside their buildings, but us ground troops are the ones having to enforce this and it won’t be fun if UKGOV has told everyone they can do whatever they liked

"People will be allowed to make their own decisions about what is safe, instead of behaviour being determined by laws."

Death by libertarianism
Personally I believe that smoking isn't bad for your health. Therefore passive smoking is quite OK and nothing to worry about. I also think that there's nothing wrong with my driving around at 120 mph on the wrong side of the road. I'll probably be alright. That's what really matters.

Back
Top Bottom