Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Contact Tracing: Will You Self Isolate? (and related discussion)

Will you self isolate if told to by the tracing team?

• Yes, I will self isolate

Votes: 89 74.8%
  • No, I won't

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 18 15.1%

• Total voters
What would people suggest to my step sister...

She works on the Isle of Wight in a care HOME where there has been multiple residents due and the large % of staff have tested positive.

Lives with a colleague who tested positive for COVID-19.

The app did not register her as being of risk. The advice to her was to go back to work.

In my job I don't see how it would be possible. I'd have to work on a 1 on 14 off rota - which would be pretty nifty tbf :D I guess it becomes muddy if I'm unknowingly exposed without PPE, but I still think it's unlikely to apply. LynnDoyleCooper do you know what the protocol for HCPs is? (she says with laughable faith that there is one).

AFAIK it's the same as it would be if you live with someone that gets symptoms, you self isolate for 14 days. I don't think being an HCP makes any difference, apart from maybe you can get tested easier and then dodge the 14 days if/when you get a negative test.

What about you get the call and are only entitled to SSP (£95 pw) when your normal take home pay would be closer to four times that and your outgoings three times as much; as a real world example a full time bus driver in their first two years of employment may well be in this situation financially. That might influence your decision making before you get anywhere near thinking about how much you trust the government.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

You're confusing the app with the whole T&T system. You don't need to use the app to be told you've been in contact with someone that means you need to self isolate.

It's the NHS doing it, not Matt Hancock personally.
How will they find me?

Did the bloke in the shop earlier have it? I have never seen him before, I was wearing a mask and sanitised my hands before and after.

What about you get the call and are only entitled to SSP (£95 pw) when your normal take home pay would be closer to four times that and your outgoings three times as much; as a real world example a full time bus driver in their first two years of employment may well be in this situation financially. That might influence your decision making before you get anywhere near thinking about how much you trust the government.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Yep. I might be annoyed but would comply. But I can work (am working) from home. It's nothing to me financially. Others not so lucky. As ever, the poorest are hit the hardest by this.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Yeah. I'm unwaged so it's no skin off my nose. But, yeah, you really need ubi if this is for the long-haul.

I would if I was told to, but it's probably unlikely since I'm spending absolutely minimal time outside the house.

No way am I going anywhere near that app, though, and if I was to be contacted by the T&T bods I'd demand to know how they got my number and details of whatever contact I'd supposedly had.
Another good point. We’re expected to take their word for it without question.

When I've done the 10 minutes of training (from a PDF) and I'm working on minimum wage while in the bath drunk phoning you cunts up cos one of your mates has decided their hangover is actually Covid and then they've blabbed your name, occupation, phone number, and sexual fetishes to me without a moment's thought I'll be the one laughing as I send the enforcement squad in.

Not everyone is able to just take 2 weeks off work. And that’s just on a “maybe”.
There will be people who don't comply because the cost to them of complying will be too great. As furlough ends and we're all expected to be back to 'normal', general levels of assistance will disappear. In three months from now, with nothing but the pitiful SSP to fall back on and a bunch of bills to pay, complying with an order like this could be a price too high for some, and I won't be judging.

When I've done the 10 minutes of training (from a PDF) and I'm working on minimum wage while in the bath drunk phoning you cunts up cos one of your mates has decided their hangover is actually Covid and then they've blabbed your name, occupation, phone number, and sexual fetishes to me without a moment's thought I'll be the one laughing as I send the enforcement squad in.
That is starting to change my mind.

Well done :thumbs:

Is minimum wage more that the UC I am getting?

I've just gone through the whole recruitment process. NHS. No sign of Serco for me.
Oh dear :facepalm:

Yeah, and I still don't see how that translates into a justification for not self isolating though?

From Coronavirus (COVID-19): getting tested
Testing is most effective within 3 days of symptoms developing.

Who can be tested
If you’re in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, you can ask for a test through the NHS website.

Three day window for expanded staff coronavirus tests
the letter stipulates they must be in the first three days of the onset of their covid-19 symptoms at the time the swab is taken, “although testing is considered effective up until day five”.
“No testing should be undertaken after day five, unless it’s for a specific reason agreed on a case by case basis by local microbiologists,” the letter said.

As I understand it, the person needs a positive test before their contacts are traced.

I have been WFH for the last 9 weeks and I live alone, the only place I have been where there have been other people is Morrisons. So I don't think anyone will be calling me. Plus what about I get it from the supermarket? I suppose that is possible, but I haven't been within 2m of anyone else in weeks so no one will be getting calls on my behalf.

Back
Top Bottom