Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chancellor's statement live

Has anyone done any research about the psychology of consumerism and how if you suggest someone could have something and they decide what they want, maybe in detail, and then you don't give them the discount/whatever they'll go ahead with the purchase anyway.
Like when Ubereats run a 50% off for the first 10000 to use the code. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to get people to decide what they want for dinner and then buy it at full price.

Well that's my thoughts on the £500.

I think Johnson has tightened Sunak's purse strings on account of not wanting him to build any popularity and start looking like a credible replacement PM.

Bottom was falling out of the casual dining market cos of high rents. Cafe Rouge, Las Iguanas or the other one? Zizi and others all gone into admin. The loss of Nandos would break us as a nation and social distancing would send more down the swanny. This is a business bailout. So food vouchers for the people then.

Bella Italia too I think. Although I struggle to tell all those places apart.

Bella Italia too I think. Although I struggle to tell all those places apart.
Yea that too. What all these places have in common are high footfall prominent locations that are getting squeezed on rent. Low and medium income peeps sacked them off as most the food can be made at home or delivered far cheaper.

Oh dear, doubling work coaches in job centres, increasing numbers of disabled people in the work and health programme, just as the brutal sanctions programme is back, double whammy, the newly unemployed and sick don't know what is about to hit them.

Last edited:
I remain baffled by the whole chicken wings thing. These are the bits of a chicken I give to the cat. Unless there is some new revolutionary way of cooking these horrid bits of gristle and sinew, I just can't see why anyone would voluntarily buy a chicken wing.
Not for one second, did I imagine £500 was going to land in my account...but my garden budget saving (£2 coins in a teapot) should still be enough to fund (most of) my new fruit trees and bushes.
I have to sit opposite somebody munching on hot chicken wings and fried chilli potato peelings as her treat when we have a special gourmet food night out and its always baffled me too she will just order twice the amount I expect :hmm:

Just in time for the new YTS, sorry Kickstart scheme, to take on under 25 for free.
His clocking on now 32 years old. He's really pissed off tbh. Been there a year, got promoted to his first managers job six months ago and today on the dole in what is now an even more competitive market for managers in the hospitality business . Just paid for him to come over here for a few days next week.

I think Johnson has tightened Sunak's purse strings on account of not wanting him to build any popularity and start looking like a credible replacement PM.
Got it in one there Frank, considering how Dishi Rishi has been thinking outside the box these past few months, this is straight out of the Tory Party handbook. Apart from the Eat Out to Help Out which has clearly been included for comedy relief.
My son is miffed, him and his g/f were on the verge of buying their own when the chain collapsed when someone further up pulled out due to his business nosediving thanks to the lurgy. None of this helps them in the slightest, the house they going for cost (a lot) less than £300K so they have gained naff all from the stamp duty rise.
Whereas £1000 of vouchers never mind actual money would have bought them a shitload of the stuff a young couple need for their first home thus boosting money in circulation.

Just got another Tastecard offer via email;

Rishi Sunak's scheme looks familiar

(does not work in conjunction with a Tory tastecard)

:D

So what about employers who had every intention of bringing their staff back shortly anyway. Do they still get the grand?

Why don't they just hand out fucking food vouchers to people who are really struggling. Everyone I know on furlough has been loving it. How hard is it to target this a little better? The people I refer to are professionals, whose spending has been slashed anyway as they haven't been able to go out and spunk loads of money every weekend.
Any employer who is actually planning on bringing people back undoubtly has a plan already in motion to do so, Any employer who doesn't is just waiting for the furlough money to run out before they start sacking people off. We're gonna see a lot of this in the next couple of months. Once employers start paying the wages of people just sat at home, they are going to start looking at the cost and asking is it worth it and sadly for a lot of jobs it's cheaper to just fire the current holder and then hire someone new once things do pick up.

N****'s UK (like many other chains) is not just fucking shit and bad for people. It is also owned by an international billionaire :(

Seems a bit off to be offering taxpayer funded vouchers to prop them up :hmm:
Also resturant of choice for the political class,TIG did their we off the people photo shoot in one and Sunak did that twitter post about the chain reopening.

Yes. I can totally see that. Watching Boris in a cheap suit, slumped on a bench next to a man who actually looks and speaks like a statesman (whatever your politics you have to agree on that) is very striking. I'm sure Cummings is looking at those optics. Sunak is clearly the next Tory leader and I assume he'd be smart enough to make his first move to get rid of Cummings/Boris.

Yes. I can totally see that. Watching Boris in a cheap suit, slumped on a bench next to a man who actually looks and speaks like a statesman (whatever your politics you have to agree on that) is very striking. I'm sure Cummings is looking at those optics. Sunak is clearly the next Tory leader and I assume he'd be smart enough to make his first move to get rid of Cummings/Boris.

I don't agree. Sunak does look statesmanlike alongside his colleagues, but that says more about their abject incompetence than any great qualities he has. BJ and Priti Patel would make Mr Blobby look like a statesman. He's the best of a bad bunch, and that's putting it politely.

Besides...

2262.jpg
411full.jpg

Never see 'em together, do you. :hmm:

I don't agree. Sunak does look statesmanlike alongside his colleagues, but that says more about their abject incompetence than any great qualities he has. He's the best of a bad bunch, and that's putting it politely.

Besides...

2262.jpg
411full.jpg

Never see 'em together, do you. :hmm:

Compared to the Hancock/Boris show the difference between their press conferences was immense before Cummings put an end to them. He does seem competent. Although where the fuck is my 500 quid. hmmm?

Without the £500 this is all worthless.

Everything else requires me to spend and without income that's unlikely until any second or third wave is through and people are vaccinated up and buying luxury things again.

I'll be keeping any money to feed and save family.

Government giving big boost to job centres and work programmes for adults and long-term unemployed
  • £1 billion funding boost for DWP
quite a lot, new attacks coming, with no fighback.

BBC Summary said:
+Up to £5,000 per household for projects to make homes more energy efficient in England

If (??) this applies to second-home owners, they'd happily say yay! to £5K worth of insulation, etc., bunged to them, then not give a shit about selling the place without the benefit of a stamp-duty cut .... :hmm:

I'm not a property owner though (not even of just one property ;) ), and I never have been, so I suppose I might be missing aspects of this ...... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom