Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chancellor's statement live

I've been a bit out of the loop recently but thought I saw something the other day about them giving us all 500 quid to spend at the pub or something? what's all this bullshit about a tenner off at restaurants if you spend a certain amount? Or can I use that in my local if I get the landlord to say I bought food?

Bottom was falling out of the casual dining market cos of high rents. Cafe Rouge, Las Iguanas or the other one? Zizi and others all gone into admin. The loss of Nandos would break us as a nation and social distancing would send more down the swanny. This is a business bailout. So food vouchers for the people then.

So, all we're getting is a luncheon voucher and free stamps, but the only free money is for rich landlords and shoplords

I don't think there is any free money just tax breaks and discount coupons you can get on-line anyway.

When I thought I was getting a monkey I was well excited. When it turned out to be £500 I was annoyed because I'd just bought the only thing I was willing to go into a real shop to spend it on. Now I'm annoyed I'm not getting the £500 I was annoyed about getting. Also about not getting a monkey.

I’ve never been to Nando’s and never will. Illness from a bad ‘finger-lickin’ meal in my teens put me off restaurant chicken, I’ll eat it if I’ve cooked it. Can I have vouchers for my local mobile chippy instead?

Possibly. It says that restaurants can enroll online so theoretically any restaurant or take-away can do it. The reality, of course, is likely to be less straight forward.

When I thought I was getting a monkey I was well excited. When it turned out to be £500 I was annoyed because I'd just bought the only thing I was willing to go into a real shop to spend it on. Now I'm annoyed I'm not getting the £500 I was annoyed about getting. Also about not getting a monkey.

Well, they are dropping the VAT on tourism stuff from 20% to 5% so you could nip over to Gibraltar on Easyjet and befriend a Barbary Macaque.

So what about employers who had every intention of bringing their staff back shortly anyway. Do they still get the grand?

Why don't they just hand out fucking food vouchers to people who are really struggling. Everyone I know on furlough has been loving it. How hard is it to target this a little better? The people I refer to are professionals, whose spending has been slashed anyway as they haven't been able to go out and spunk loads of money every weekend.

Has anyone done any research about the psychology of consumerism and how if you suggest someone could have something and they decide what they want, maybe in detail, and then you don't give them the discount/whatever they'll go ahead with the purchase anyway.
Like when Ubereats run a 50% off for the first 10000 to use the code. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to get people to decide what they want for dinner and then buy it at full price.

Well that's my thoughts on the £500.

This is a good question.

Like sacking staff they didn't furlough and replacing them with furloughed staff to get a free £1k.

I've just read they have to be 'new' jobs. So er, just change the job title. It's not rocket science. This government is absolutely fucking unbelievable.

Edit: Apols, got his two new policies mixed up I think

If a family of four each order 20 chicken wings at Nandos then with the Eat Out to Help Out vouchers and the VAT cut they will be able to get 80 Chicken wings for £38.36.
Ive no idea why it has took that post for me to realize for the first time in my life that 40 chickens have died for that Nandos family meal and the same amount of feet for a family supper in China
I expect the rest is nuggets
((chickens)) too

Ive no idea why it has took that post for me to realize for the first time in my life that 40 chickens have died for that Nandos family meal and thats the same amount of feet for a family in China
I expect the is nuggets

And drumsticks. Chicken neck is a bit of a delicacy in China too and who doesn't love pasta sauce made with chicken livers?

Back
Top Bottom