Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

Rumoured team here:

Kearney, Fitzgerald, Bowe, BOD, Roberts, Jones, Phillips
Wallace, Heaslip, Croft, POC, Shaw, Jones, Rees, Jenkins

…from a generally impeccable source.

Onan on the bench. WTF?

Seriously question the selection of that backrow again. They didn’t function last week, so what makes Geech think that they’ll function this week with the added issues of Burger and altitude to contend with?

Byrne still injured, so straight swap with Kearney.

Shaw is in. Still can’t see what AWJ did wrong to be dropped. Can see even less of a case for replacing him with a 36-year-old in a game at altitude, but there we go.

SA by 10+. Series over.

E2A: if true ;)

It was true. Very conservative team selection that fails to address a number of issues. This team will not win us the test, and will therefore lose us the series IMO. I fear my prediction of a second series whitewash may come to pass.

Fitzgerald in for Monye: fine. Front row changes: fine. Kearney in for injured Byrne: fine.

The second and back rows are dodgy, as is the O'Gara call on the bench. But with the former they screwed themselves already by having POC as untouchable, and the back row, well, maybe Williams hasn't quite shown enough on tour.

Test still up in the air for me, but am tempted to agree with your SA by 10 if I had to make a call.

Tell me they've at least put M Williams on the bench this time, ffs!
Yes. And Shane Williams...

Replacements: R Ford (Edinburgh and Scotland), A Sheridan (Sale Sharks and England), A-W Jones (Ospreys and Wales), M Williams (Cardiff Blues and Wales), H Ellis (Leicester and England), R O'Gara (Munster and Ireland), S Williams (Ospreys and Wales).

I think Sheridan is lucky to be there, and Mears & Monye are unlucky not to be.

One 'not so great' game, but on the whole the latter two have had an alright tour.

We shall see I guess, hope springs an all that :):rolleyes:

With Byrne out and Fitzgerald (he’s a decent player, but not Lions quality, IMO) on the wing the Lions have only one outlet for breaking the line: the BOD/Roberts axis. I fully expect Burger to ‘do a Worsley’ and sit in the 12 channel nullifying anything that comes at him all day. At this point we are going to need to rely on setting up phases from half breaks made by others and moving the ball quickly away from contact. This is a job for Martyn, so why has Wallace been picked over him.

This I do not understand.

Again, screwed for 3/4 and full-back subs. At least if Hook subbed we would have cover here too.

Do not understand Onan's inclusion on the bench over Hook. If Kearney gets injured we are well and truly fucked.

With Byrne out and Fitzgerald (he’s a decent player, but not Lions quality, IMO) on the wing the Lions have only one outlet for breaking the line: the BOD/Roberts axis. I fully expect Burger to ‘do a Worsley’ and sit in the 12 channel nullifying anything that comes at him all day. At this point we are going to need to rely on setting up phases from half breaks made by others and moving the ball quickly away from contact. This is a job for Martyn, so why has Wallace been picked over him.

This I do not understand.

Your not the only one, and I did say SA would do a Worsley on Roberts didn't I. An what the fuck would be plan B if that happened?

I really hope this time there is a plan B... However, the bench does not look very inspiring. Unless SW re-kindles some magic.

I dont understand the omission of Hook (from the bench). He has done everything they have asked of him. He was a running threat when he came on (even in the torrential rain) and has kicked all the pressure kicks. his kicking out of hand has also been good. Basically if we need to chase the game we have O Gara to come on who is even more conservative in attack than S Jones. It just doesnt make any sense at all. Also Shaw - WTF?!! :eek:

Shaw is a decent player, who has showed up well on this tour. I just don't know if he's the answer to nullifying the Bokke 4/5 partnership (as if anything on god's clean earth is!) and I worry about his ability to last 60 at altitude. Either way, 4 through 8 we look shit, TBH.

I dont understand the omission of Hook (from the bench). He has done everything they have asked of him. He was a running threat when he came on (even in the torrential rain) and has kicked all the pressure kicks. his kicking out of hand has also been good. Basically if we need to chase the game we have O Gara to come on who is even more conservative in attack than S Jones. It just doesnt make any sense at all. Also Shaw - WTF?!! :eek:

See, that inclusion I agree with. Perhaps not as a starter but on the bench at least.

If we are getting owned in the lineout and in the scrums etc, he's a safe bet to bring on. Hasn't put a foot wrong when he has played.

Yes, hook can feel hard done by, not done owt wrong either.

Breaking rumour that Byrne has been ruled out of the rest of the tour with a thumb injury. Good job that is one of the only positions where the understudy is not that far off the level of the incumbent, but I think the Lions will miss the attacking lines he can run in the last two tests. Unlucky, Lee :(

Not sure about the test side. Would have liked to have seen Andy Powell punching holes from No. 8, Hook at fly-half and Earls at full back. No Hook on the bench is a worry, what happens if plan A is not working..?? Hook can come on and change a game with his broken play running from fly half and would link up with the midfield. I can see why Shaw was picked, we have to win our own line out ball and disrupt the Boks and Shaw is the man to do it. Very light on backs on the subs bench and without Hook no one who can change the pace and direction of the match. Should be a very interesting game on Saturday and should The forwards provide the platform the backs have shown that they can tear the boks apart.

Mr. Retro: Any comment on Onan's shite performance last night? Particularly enjoyed his 'tackle' on their seven. Most amusing. Once again failed to get his line moving in any meaningful way. But what we want is a 10 whose first instinct is to kick for territory against the best attacking lineout in the world, right?

Been off lin the last few days. O'Gara was poor on Tuesday and didn't do anthing to justify dropping the 4th best outhalf in the world. Though the conditions were awful and the backline outside no great shakes either so I guess in the circumstances kicking the ball was the best tactic on the night. But he didn't even do that very well and it's not what he needed to do to put himself in with a shout of making the test team. Poor display from him all round. That "tackle". :D:oops::D:oops:

Been off lin the last few days. O'Gara was poor on Tuesday and didn't do anthing to justify dropping the 4th best outhalf in the world. Though the conditions were awful and the backline outside no great shakes either so I guess in the circumstances kicking the ball was the best tactic on the night. But he didn't even do that very well and it's not what he needed to do to put himself in with a shout of making the test team. Poor display from him all round. That "tackle".

:DYou're not going to let me forget that, are you?

Problem is I can't remember if it was you, Sleaterkinney or RF who confidently asserted that Onan was 'easily the best out half in the northern hemisphere' earlier this year. Rest assured if I do dig out the post, and it it was you, I'll show about as much restraint as you're managing now:p

I can understand Fitz being in position now that Kearney has come in at full back. The back three is a proper combination that has played international rugby together in the past year. However, if Byrne had played, I reckon wee Shane would have been in to make the back three and all-Osprey combo. It all makes sense in the backs to be fair, but I agree Hook should have been in the 22 to add something a bit different and also to cover FOUR positions. What else could he have done to have forced his way in?

I think Shaw deserves a chance, but I feel sorry for A-W having to drop out as he's no worse than Captain Shite, O'Connell. I think it was a very big mistake giving him the armband. BoD deserved a crack at the captaincy and he's certainly guaranteed a place whereas on form O'Connell would probably not be in the first team. Hindsight and all that...

The front row will not automatically go better just because of what happened in the last 25-30mins in the first test, so I'm still worried about that facet of play. However, I'm glad Adam Jones is in for what he brings to the ruck and breakdown area. He seems to have a knack of standing in the right place, innocently of course. He's hilarious.

I just hope Rees has his chucking arm on. We are very weak at hooker and Flannery is definitely being missed.

:DYou're not going to let me forget that, are you?

Problem is I can't remember if it was you, Sleaterkinney or RF who confidently asserted that Onan was 'easily the best out half in the northern hemisphere' earlier this year. Rest assured if I do dig out the post, and it it was you, I'll show about as much restraint as you're managing now:p

:oops: ouu it sounds like something I'd say all right. This is not an admission. You will need proof :mad:

I agree with your prediction for tomorrow - +10 at least to the Boks.

Back
Top Bottom