Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

the blame lies with McGeechan. (sincerely hope its not Gats) No Nugget in first two tests. No Hook. And playing Byrne in the first test when he has been off it for a while (injury and all)

Why just Geech. Surely Gatland, Edwards, Howley & Rowntree all had a say in picking the teams?

Why just Geech. Surely Gatland, Edwards, Howley & Rowntree all had a say in picking the teams?

Good question. Edwards has repeatedly said that he, Gats and Rowntree had 'an input' into team selection, but that the final decision was with Geech. Now that's either an attempt to cover certain arses vis. certain Welsh players, or it's da troot. Guess we'll never know.

Williams is easily the best openside playing in the NH, immaculate player. The thing is, so was Neil Back, who was part of the the best international back row I've ever seen live (although I would highlight Richard Hill as the best player in that unit).

Very true in 2001. Far less so in 2005. Nugget should have started under Lord Bald.

Anyway, interesting that you blame Croft, I would have said the choice of Wallace over Williams was based around the perceived need for pace - which Croft has in abundance. I'd just have picked Williams as I think he's superb, so good that he'd work in any combination.

It's not that I 'blame' Croft. I think he's a fine player with immense attributes, but I'm just not sure that he works as an out-and-out six. He needs a 6.5 (Wallace) to play at 7 in order to balance out his inadequacies at the dog stuff, but that still doesn't bring the balance required as evidenced by Heaslip in tests 1 and 2. Do you think it's coincidence that once a dog was installed at six and a proper, linking openside at seven that the hitherto anonymous 8 suddenly shone for all the reasons (carrying, tackling, etc.) that an 8 should shine? I would say that for all his flashy support work, Croft was not bringing to the table what he should have done, and that the failure to balance the backrow in the first two tests was the most cardinal of all the selection mistakes made on the tour.

To crown an excellent year of Bendy predictions, I give you Wales pack decimated by Lions injuries

That's Martyn, Adam and Gethin all fooked for six months. Lucky we've got Rhys Thomas and Robin Sowden-Taylor to fill in for two of them:rolleyes:. That's the AIs out of the window as a starter.

Wonder if they'll try and blood Warburton as a long term replacement for one-time Lions test starter, Martyn Williams? We'd better do our forward planning now.

Wales: again the team that makes the greatest sacrifices for the Lions' cause. FACT.

To crown an excellent year of Bendy predictions, I give you Wales pack decimated by Lions injuries

That's Martyn, Adam and Gethin all fooked for six months. Lucky we've got Rhys Thomas and Robin Sowden-Taylor to fill in for two of them:rolleyes:. That's the AIs out of the window as a starter.

Wonder if they'll try and blood Warburton as a long term replacement for one-time Lions test starter, Martyn Williams? We'd better do our forward planning now.

Wales: again the team that makes the greatest sacrifices for the Lions' cause. FACT.

Is Nugget continuing in internationla rugby anyway. Gats persuaded him to come back with the Lions as the bait, now thats been and gone what of the future. If he does, he doesnt realistically have much more rugby in him, I wouldn't have thought.

Love to see it but it will be a hard choice for Martyn himself to make. He'll be 36 and it will be 2 years of pain for him to get there. And there are loads of things to go wrong - injury, dropped etc.

The Welsh performance in the 2007 world cup is hardly an enticement either.

The Welsh performance in the 2007 world cup is hardly an enticement either.

If performance you can call it:(

Still, it rid us of the cloth-eared buffoon.

Anyways, silver linings and all that. Injuries to Martyn and Adam should hopefully persuade Gats of the need to put some succession planning into action and bring some young talent through at tighthead and openside, our weakest positions in terms of cover. Warburton looks good for the latter, but I'm fucked if I can think who can be brought through at 1 in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom