Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions 2017

Still whining, now about SOB's disciplinary decision not providing detail about why it was dismissed other than 'having reviewed the footage and taken submissions from SOB and his representative' :facepalm:

Fekitoa in. May start alongside Leinart-Brown, unless Crotty gets fit. Solid defence, suspect attack.

AB's calling this a World Cup final event. For Read its his 100th cap and a real test of his leadership: losing Coles, Smith, SBW and Crotty means a lot of leaders aren't out there

going to be a massive game this weekend, really looking forward to it!

Lions played to their promised potential last weekend i think, and could have disappointed a few supporters who may have been calling fo rhis head, but he showed he had the right combo this time. the 10-12 axis worked well I thought, the 6/7/8 played well we know they are strong there, and the rest of the side showed up.

Kiwis should up their game for next weekend, Lions now have belief, be a humdinger!! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Is my memory playing tricks on me or didn't we used to take a dim view of number 8's wearing white boots and hanging out on the wing? ;)

Great finish btw.

Interesting shift of denial from some of the more petulant Kiwis.

Initially it was 'well, SOB and Mako should have been red carded'. That's still there, but now it's 'Winning by 3 points against 14 men is a HOLLOW victory' along with an assertion that the AB's are going to absolutely batter the Lions this weekend.

They get annoyed if you point out winning a World Cup, with home advantage, by a single point is also a bit hollow - especially as you can't convert your only try of the game ;)

Interesting shift of denial from some of the more petulant Kiwis.

Initially it was 'well, SOB and Mako should have been red carded'. That's still there, but now it's 'Winning by 3 points against 14 men is a HOLLOW victory' along with an assertion that the AB's are going to absolutely batter the Lions this weekend.

They get annoyed if you point out winning a World Cup, with home advantage, by a single point is also a bit hollow - especially as you can't convert your only try of the game ;)
By a single point with an utterly supine ref who went with the narrative and shat out of an eminently kickable penalty that would have seen France deservedly win it.

People who see equivalence in the SWW, SOB and Mako incidents are fucking blind and I should know; I'm entirely unencumbered by national bias when it comes to commenting on rugby.

So, XXIII for tomorrow. This is what I'd like:

Liam, Daly, Foxy, Farrell, Watson, Sexton, Murray, Faletau, SOB, Warburton, Itoje, AWJ, McGrath, George, Furlong

Bench: Vunipola, Owens, Sinckler, Lawes, Tipuric, Webb, T'eo

Very little change in the XV barring Vunipola being rotated out as a result of his diabolical performance last Saturday. LOLing at the negative reviews of AWJ from Saturday. He was aggressive, intense and didn't give an inch. His comedy psycho eyes in that early scuffle on the left touchline were also worth picking him alone.

As you were with the bench, also, except Van der O'Stander being replaced by Tips who, IMO, brings more ability to turn a game creatively than a player who's looked far from his best since the 6N.

If the AB's name Laumape instead of Feks, it'll be fascinating to see Jonny and Owen turn him inside out. Will be trickier against Fekitoa.

"Which brings us to Warren Gatland. His detractors – and he still has a surprising number of them – are overlooking his record when the stakes are at their highest. During his time with Wasps he pretty much patented the trick of squeaking into the play-offs and then blowing sides away on finals day. They won the Premiership title three years on the trot, even wearing bin liners under their training kit before their first success in 2003 to replicate the predicted grand final day heat. When England came to Cardiff for the deciding game of the 2013 Six Nations, with pre-match anticipation levels not dissimilar to this weekend, Wales won 30-3. On the past two Lions tours of South Africa and Australia, both of which Gatland has been involved in, the touring squad have won the third Tests by the respective scorelines of 28-9 and 41-16. A team who should have been knackered produced some of their best rugby on each occasion. Paul “Bobby” Stridgeon, the strength and conditioning expert who has been a key member of Gatland’s staff at Wasps and Wales, was on both of those tours and is here in New Zealand as well." Lions reinvigorated by jet-boating, bungee jumping and the odd beer

Lions reinvigorated by jet-boating, bungee jumping and the odd beer | Robert Kitson

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Including the 30-3 defeat is a bit rich seeing as it was howler who was managing Wales not gatland

Including the 30-3 defeat is a bit rich seeing as it was howler who was managing Wales not gatland

And with that line I cease to have an interest in the article or respect for its author.

He seems willing to omit the massive Welsh chokes against SA and Aus in respective WC knockout matches, or indeed against nearly all SH opposition, when talking about Gatland's ability to deliver in the teeth of pressure situations. I call bullshit.

1. Joe Moody (27)
2. Codie Taylor (18)
3. Owen Franks (93)
4. Brodie Retallick (63)
5. Samuel Whitelock (87)
6. Jerome Kaino (80)
7. Sam Cane (43)
8. Kieran Read (99) - Captain
9. Aaron Smith (61)
10. Beauden Barrett (52)
11. Julian Savea (53)
12. Ngani Laumape (1)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (12)
14. Israel Dagg (64)
15. Jordie Barrett (1)

16. Nathan Harris (7)
17. Wyatt Crockett (61)
18. Charlie Faumuina (49)
19. Scott Barrett (7)
20. Ardie Savea (15)
21. TJ Perenara (32)
22. Aaron Cruden (49)
23. Malakai Fekitoa (23)

Savea into squad and starting, Laumape into midfield, Jordie at the back.

Ioane out, Naholo out.

Fascinating to see Barrett at the back, his kicking is grand but it's his second cap and his first start. Same with Laumape in midfield, yeah the lad bangs the gameline but does he have the defense smarts.

Savea in, even off form, is muscle over pace. Wonder if shags going for warrenball again.

slightly surprised Fekitoa isn't starting, even if he's a little off the boil.

I'm not surprised Savea is on the wing as Ioane was pretty anonymous last week.

I think the Jordie Barrett inclusion, which is the biggest surprise for me, has potential to be a genius move. Could be a real coming out for JB.
I would imagine he will be taking over place kicking duties from his brother

Fekitoa and Savea have both been off the boil, that's why neither made the squad first up.

JB could be great and his kicking is metronomic but first start in a test this big? I'm hoping he gets the wobbles.

Tell you what, their bench is OK but not great. Solid front row but then it's a lot of the guys who folded under pressure last week :eek:

Lions. Unchanged.

15. Liam Williams – Scarlets, Wales, #833
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
11. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790

1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #819
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #818
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
6. Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779

Replacements
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
20. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831
21. Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820
22. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
23. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828

:D

Comment sections which have been 'We're going to smash them' are now shifting to 'this is a big gamble'.

Main concerns: Savea under the high ball, Jordie Barrett's tackling is iffy and Laumape and ALB don't have a lot of experience.

No better time than now, Lions.

I'm just thinking that the Lions have coped better with the physicality of these matches if you look at the relative injury lists of the teams. the ABs forced into a few changes with inexperienced (Caps wise) players, the Lions unchanged, gonna be fascinating to watch! :thumbs:

:D

Comment sections which have been 'We're going to smash them' are now shifting to 'this is a big gamble'.

Main concerns: Savea under the high ball, Jordie Barrett's tackling is iffy and Laumape and ALB don't have a lot of experience.

No better time than now, Lions.

As Fergie would say - it's squeaky bum time! :D

I'm just thinking that the Lions have coped better with the physicality of these matches if you look at the relative injury lists of the teams. the ABs forced into a few changes with inexperienced (Caps wise) players, the Lions unchanged, gonna be fascinating to watch! :thumbs:

...through your hands, aye :eek:

:D:D:D:D:D

NZ media now covering the fact that flankers get away with a LOT at the breakdown in a critical manner.

Lions tour: Referee Romain Poite must get out of the way of the game

W
ould have never happened in Saint McCaw's day ;)
Magnificently cyclopean. This constant whining about the winning pen is also funny. The narrative is that he jumped into the tackle. No, he didn't: he jumped to catch a poor pass. You can't tackle a player who is jumping to catch a ball, therefore the pen was good.

Back
Top Bottom