Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic to sell off a quarter of their pubs in London

editor

hiraethified
Interesting development

68d2eff6d5206f20adc19372e9c9c1bfb6044385.jpeg

Background: Antic Limited pubs bought out of administration by newly-formed company

Chat - Antic Pubs advertised for sale - plus Sylvan Post

I hope all the pubs remain as pubs but I guess that's unlikely in the current climate...

I don't know Antic but largely pubcos are just property companies that sell beer.
There was a period ca. 2010-2015 when they had a good sense for which bit of South London would become the next to get that bit more gentrified, and managed to open a fair few pubs of which many became reasonably popular with the yuppie crowds.

Lately though I think the shine's come off. Like in Penge where we live, their one pub is still open just about after 3 years. They bought a larger, better placed premise around the same time, which has sat there dead since. I wouldn't be awfully surprised to see a For Sale sign up there soon.

This is them thinning out the deadwood and creaming off the profits (probably through some offshore tax dodging scheme).

There was a period ca. 2010-2015 when they had a good sense for which bit of South London would become the next to get that bit more gentrified, and managed to open a fair few pubs of which many became reasonably popular with the yuppie crowds.

Lately though I think the shine's come off. Like in Penge where we live, their one pub is still open just about after 3 years. They bought a larger, better placed premise around the same time, which has sat there dead since. I wouldn't be awfully surprised to see a For Sale sign up there soon.

This is them thinning out the deadwood and creaming off the profits (probably through some offshore tax dodging scheme).
Goldsmiths arms? Always busy any time I've been in. Especially in summer garden full.
It's a good pub I think with a pretty mixed and local crowd.

Didn't understand which pub is the big empty one you meant.

There's an antic pub in every area of south central London now basically

Goldsmiths arms? Always busy any time I've been in. Especially in summer garden full.
It's a good pub I think with a pretty mixed and local crowd.

Didn't understand which pub is the big empty one you meant.

There's an antic pub in every area of south central London now basically
Yeah the Goldsmiths. There are days when it's busyish, but even in summer it's rarely if ever heaving. Word on the street is they're not taking as much as they anticipated.

The other place they were planning to open is the Lyman and Turner that used to be the textile/curtains/haberdashery shop between the old cop shop and Halifax. The name's there on the shutters, which I've never seen raised since the old place shut.

No true, never heaving. It's a pretty big space tbh.

Selling all the ones I occassionaly pop in to, brockley, Lewisham, forest hill, Peckham, ... Quite shit news really.

Forest hill has 5 pubs in close proximity including a massive Spoons, and its not like anyone travels to go out in forest hill.

Lewisham barely opened the other day!

No true, never heaving. It's a pretty big space tbh.

Selling all the ones I occassionaly pop in to, brockley, Lewisham, forest hill, Peckham, ... Quite shit news really.

Forest hill has 5 pubs in close proximity including a massive Spoons, and its not like anyone travels to go out in forest hill.

Lewisham barely opened the other day!

Yeah, Jam Circus (Brockley) and The Sylvan Post (Forest Hill) are on the list of 11. Have yet to visit the Sylvan Post and haven't been to Jam (aka Pram) Circus for ages.

I used to quite like the one in Lewisham/Ladywell (The Ravensbourne) but that closed a couple of years ago.

A strange pubco...

In this case it seems like their private equity investors/owners had set this up to happen from the beginning - ie a strategy where they do a large amount of buying property and growing pubs, then realising the profit on the property and/or the pub as such after a predetermined period of time or profit growth.

At least that's how I interpret the bit about "limited life funding structure".

There's a lot to not like about Antic, but - on the other hand - they rescued dying pubs from developers and opened new, affordable pubs in a time where pubs are closing everywhere, and that definitely softens my opinion about them.

My local, the Red Lion in Leytonstone is an Antic pub and it's a great pub, in there an awful lot.

Had a 50th anniversary Trojan Records night upstairs last night which was good.

Always a decent vibe in there and the beer's good. :)

Including a huge one at the Elephant and Castle end of the Walworth Road. Haven't been in yet but apparently the fit-out cost a fortune.
Manor of Walworth – 140 Walworth Rd SE17 1JL

ska invita said:
Is that the old Labour party hq?

Cold Harbour= said:
No, that's now a cheap hotel/hostel place. The Manor is next door though, towards E&C.

I was going to ask about that too -- that pub came along well after my (pre-2009) SE17 times .... :hmm:

And now Antic are selling it ... does anyone know what the Manor was/is like? :confused:

It's difficult to feel sorry for them working Christmas Eve. Over Christmas, I will be working 7 straight shifts, which could be better but could be a little worse. For eve, I'll get nothing extra, for Xmas and boxing day, I'll get a day off for each but no extra dosh. For the rest of the time nothing. I have to work, we offer a 24/7 service.
That said, they have my support for minimum wages.

It's difficult to feel sorry for them working Christmas Eve. Over Christmas, I will be working 7 straight shifts, which could be better but could be a little worse. For eve, I'll get nothing extra, for Xmas and boxing day, I'll get a day off for each but no extra dosh. For the rest of the time nothing. I have to work, we offer a 24/7 service.
That said, they have my support for minimum wages.
I've got it shit so should everyone else

Sorry, I sort of meant there are some jobs you sign up for when anti social hours go with the territory, where you expect to work late nights, weekends, bank holidays etc and a job in the entertainment industry, although not essential is one of those jobs.

Sorry, I sort of meant there are some jobs you sign up for when anti social hours go with the territory, where you expect to work late nights, weekends, bank holidays etc and a job in the entertainment industry, although not essential is one of those jobs.
All the more reason to work together to demand a decent wage for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom