Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic to sell off a quarter of their pubs in London

80 percent wages sounds alright considering, but how is that calculated on zero hours? Need to see the detail

Off on a tangent...few people will be in pubs tonight and all closed tomorrow is very concerning, if only because there are thousands of gallons of cask beers about to go off. It only ever lasts for a few days
:( :eek::facepalm:

Have they been told to speak to the Redundancy Service (I think that's the name)? They will be entitled to a redundancy payment by law, and potentially payment for their notice period.

Does that include the Dogstar? or is that run by someone else. Diffiicult for all pubs right now and it won't be normal for at least 6months. That said I went to Ganley's in Morden in September on a saturday afternoon and it was full but with covid measures and seemed to be doing really well, just table service. It was a big space but many pubs just aren't laid out like that.

Was there ever a complete list of which ones went? Wondering about the Goathouse in South Norwood but seems impossible to confirm. The place is looking very rundown

BUMP
This is the most recent Antic thread...as already mentioned on urban Antic is in trouble

The full list of Antic pubs in London that could close​

• Dogstar, Brixton
  • Gremio de Brixton, Brixton
  • Balham Bowls Club, Balham
  • East Dulwich Tavern, East Dulwich
  • Tooting Tram and Social, Tooting
  • The Sun, Camberwell
  • Antelope, Tooting
  • Clapton Hart, Clapton
  • The Elephant and Castle Pub, Elephant and Castle
  • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
  • Graveney & Meadow, Tooting
  • Red Lion, Leytonstone
  • Coopers, Crystal Palace

Im surprsied not to see Goldsmiths in Penge on that list as its often pretty empty and its not small. Whereas Elephant is always really busy. Strange.
I think deserves its own thread as things develop

BUMP
This is the most recent Antic thread...as already mentioned on urban Antic is in trouble

• Dogstar, Brixton
  • The Sun, Camberwell
  • Antelope, Tooting
  • Clapton Hart, Clapton
  • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
  • Red Lion, Leytonstone

Im surprsied not to see Goldsmiths in Penge on that list as its often pretty empty and its not small. Whereas Elephant is always really busy. Strange.
I'm in the Clapton Hart a couple of times a week , like it there, massive pub , gets very busy at the weekend, did well out of the football the past month. Hopefully it will continue to open. I think they sold a load of pubs a few years ago as they used to have The White Hart in Stoke Newington too, which has a massive garden & is very busy in the summer.

The Dogstar has been spectacularly under-performing for years, not helped by GMs giving up and leaving or being moved on every six months or so.

I've regularly done sold out shows there but it's ridiculous there now, with the place not being able to afford a single poster for my night (we've had to recycle a four year old poster of mine three times now).

And yes the potential for the place remains huge. I hope it survives in a recognisable format because I've had some cracking nights there as a DJ/promoter/musician/punter.

BUMP

• Dogstar, Brixton
  • The Sun, Camberwell
  • Antelope, Tooting
  • Clapton Hart, Clapton
  • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
  • Red Lion, Leytonstone

Maybe they are looking to sell off the ones where they can make more profit? Not sure that makes any sense though

ETA as others have said

The Dogstar has been spectacularly under-performing for years, not helped by GMs giving up and leaving or being moved on every six months or so.

I've regularly done sold out shows there but it's ridiculous there now, with the place not being able to afford a single poster for my night (we've had to recycle a four year old poster of mine three times now).

And yes the potential for the place remains huge. I hope it survives in a recognisable format because I've had some cracking nights there as a DJ/promoter/musician/punter.
It really is bizarre.

Update

The leasehold pubs are the Antelope, Balham Bowls Club, the Clapton Hart, the East Dulwich Tavern, the Elephant & Castle, Hagen & Hyde, the Red Lion and the Sun of Camberwell.

The freehold sites are the Volunteer, the Mews and Linman & Turner.

The Dogstar in Brixton, Tooting Tram and Social and Coopers in Crystal Palace were not part of the deal. These sites will continue to operate while administrators engage with potential buyers.

The Dogstar in Brixton, Tooting Tram and Social and Coopers in Crystal Palace were not part of the deal. These sites will continue to operate while administrators engage with potential buyers.

Shame about the Dogstar. Were it not for the Urbfest attendees on Saturday it would've been virtually empty.

Shame about the Dogstar. Were it not for the Urbfest attendees on Saturday it would've been virtually empty.
The back area was fairly busy (fussball and pool).

Fullers have recently pulled from several pubs across Croydon.
The Spreadeagle - now run by Whelan's group who own several venues across South London I think
The Royal Standard
The Builders Arms

From what I remember of Antic they have been dropping pubs for a while now? (Wallington Arms, Shelverdine Boathouse too?)

Update
I heard about that from a mate yesterday (She used to work for that pub co) . Popped into the Hart this evening , staff seemed fine about it , they've been working in a dying pub for several months , they were excited about someone spending some money. It has been difficult for them to order beer lately as their credit was shite.

Back
Top Bottom