Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it happened, there was a Polish couple sat quite close to me in the pub on Friday night. I listened in for a bit and then thought, 'Well, I've had a go, I didn't understand any of it, but I'm really up for getting pissed.'
to be fair we could be saying that about someone with a strong liverpool or glasgow accent.

yep, although some of them are spelt quite differently (schtiri in slovak, cztery in polish for example) phonetically they are pretty much exactly the same

There's a town on the border of the Czech Republic and Poland called Cesky Tesin/Polsky Cieszyn that has a market where you can hear all the Czechs, Poles, and Slovaks chatting away with one another as they buy and sell their stuff.

As it happened, there was a Polish couple sat quite close to me in the pub on Friday night. I listened in for a bit and then thought, 'Well, I've had a go, I didn't understand any of it, but I'm really up for getting pissed.'

I struggle to understand pretty much any of it when it's been spoken as well - usually can catch one or two words every now and again but that way that all the words seem to just merge into one long continuous word makes it difficult to get a foot in the door most of the time, reading it is much easier to understanding it being spoken, and speaking it is harder than reading it but still easier than understanding it being spoken i find

I struggle to understand pretty much any of it when it's been spoken as well - usually can catch one or two words every now and again but that way that all the words seem to just merge into one long continuos word makes it difficult to get a foot in the door most of the time, reading it is much easier to understanding it being spoken
I find the same with French French speakers but not so much with French speaking African countries or Belgians.

I struggle to understand pretty much any of it when it's been spoken as well - usually can catch one or two words every now and again but that way that all the words seem to just merge into one long continuous word makes it difficult to get a foot in the door most of the time, reading it is much easier to understanding it being spoken, and speaking it is harder than reading it but still easier than understanding it being spoken i find

You've got to hear it constantly for a couple of years to really pick it up. Living in the country is obviously the best way to do this as you're totally immersed in it most of the time.

I didn't say it was the prerogative of any social class, but that the sort of trips being discussed here require a certain amount of social capital to a) plan b) execute and c) support you when it all goes wrong.

That's a pretty loose defınıtıon of 'socıal capıtal.' Some would call ıt 'braıns.'

With only a few exceptions, the teaching ex-pats I used to hang out with were quite an odd bunch

Just a bıt. Ever read thıs notorıous account of TEFL teachers ın Cambodıa? It features at least one U75 poster (my lıps are fırmly sealed).

590319.jpg

Apparently, Foucault predicted this process

Along wıth much else, not least the emergence of the Carceral Socıety.

Where I lıve ın Istanbul there used to be graffıtı ın three-foot letters proclaımıng ''Foucault Was Rıght.' Got paınted over before I could take a pıcture.

On the contrary, the dıfference between what people can do and what they wıll do never ceases to amaze me, and I fınd that partıcluarly true of posters on thıs thread.

Yes. But that's really not the issue here is it?

What's up with your letter "I" by the way? It's coming out all weird...

One of my East Euro colleagues told me she had a nephew who taught himself English by watching Hollywood movies with the subtitles off.

That already happens here. Or it did 4 years ago when I got Milk Tokens.
I never had a bad reaction to milk tokens maybe it's because they're not that unusual for this area. And I could hand them straight to the milkman as well.
I actually think there were some I didn't use.

a friend of mine moved to latvia 'cause he wanted to move to russia but couldn't get a visa (journalist), and latvia is the closest he could get. everyone there speaks russian. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom