Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you teach something without being able to explain what you're doing in the language that the rest of the class speaks?

I spoke more Polish than this girl and I was shit. I wouldn't have even considered trying to teach a Pole English.
I don't know how it works at all.

I think you have to rely on the pupils knowing almost as much English as you, but try to fool them into believing that you know what you're talking about.

That really isn't that uncommon or odd in language lessons, in fact it's preferable.

I know about 6 people who have done a TEFL. Four of them are now alcoholics (they even admit it) and one of them is now a lecturer at a university teaching Modern English Literature - well jealous (of her, not the alcoholics obviously). I think you need to have right charachter to stick it out without succumbing to cheap alcohol and loneliness.

Jesus. It's not that bleak! I don't know how you end up lonely doing it. It must depend on the country.

I met somebody earning a living doing TEFL in immediate post-Communist Poland. She hardly spoke a word of Polish. How does that work?

That's the point of TEFL courses. You don't always know where you're going beforehand, so you have to be able to teach without knowing their language. You can give a perfectly good class without ever using the learner's native language. In fact, the first day of my TEFL I was given a Polish lesson, with no English used, to demonstrate how it can be done. Poland was not part of my plans and it could have been any other language.

Yes, especially when you don't understand what's going on.

This is why you do the course. You know what's going on because you're the teacher and you've organised everything appropriately. Or you can deal with such difficult moments in a way that they don't become a big deal.

This is why you do the course. You know what's going on because you're the teacher and you've organised everything appropriately. Or you can deal with such difficult moments in a way that they don't become a big deal.

I don't know what I'm arguing for really. Normally I never think about TEFL and don't care one way or another.

I guess that's the "immersion" technique.
Usually I think it helps to know a bit of the language already before going down that route.

Whatever anybody says, it seems strange to be teaching English to Poles in Poland and yet you can't even ask for a pint of milk in a Polish shop (or sklep, as they say over there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom